You will win in a drag race

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Over the last couple of months i have seen cars trying to drag race with me on stop lights . If you have a bmw m4 , go ahead by all means , i am not going to drag race . I dont have a launch control ....

What are folks thinking when they see the genesis ? Is it the "big car size = lot of power" or do they really think "they beat a bentley". Whatever it is , i see that urge in other drivers trying to drag race genesis .

I've also had one time a Sonata trying to drag race me . You should have known about the genesis , it will beat you any day on any road . Go ahead game on .

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
I'd chalk this one up to the Bentley drivers. Some of them have no problem whatsoever putting the hurt on an m4 at a stop light. But we poor Genesis drivers are a couple of turbos too short to live up to the rumors.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Over the last couple of months i have seen cars trying to drag race with me on stop lights . If you have a bmw m4 , go ahead by all means , i am not going to drag race . I dont have a launch control ....

What are folks thinking when they see the genesis ? Is it the "big car size = lot of power" or do they really think "they beat a bentley". Whatever it is , i see that urge in other drivers trying to drag race genesis .

I've also had one time a Sonata trying to drag race me . You should have known about the genesis , it will beat you any day on any road . Go ahead game on .
LOL. I have also had my share of sporty sedans and coups trying me at a light that merges unto a highway. I have been able to keep up with or completely pass a few cars that are rated faster than the Genesis by auto magazines that have launch control, but did not use it at the light. Most drivers do not use launch control in traffic due to how complex the system is to use; unless they are prepared to straight up race.

The Genesis 5.0 is very very quick just by pressing the gas pedal from a stand-still. Many of the the sportier turbo cars need launch control or dropping the clutch to get those really quick numbers posted in the magazines, but performs similar or worst to the Genesis when just flooring the gas pedal from a stop. We also can torque-brake our engines to create a poor-man's launch control for better times, but I would only do that at the drag track; not on a public street even if it merges into a highway.

But you are correct about the Genesis 5.0 being about as fast or quicker as most other sport sedans on the road when just pressing the gas from a stop.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
The Gen 1 V6 was quick, the Gen 2 with all the added weight took most of the fun away. I dragged raced a few cars and sadly they all beat me by a fender.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
The Gen 1 V6 was quick, the Gen 2 with all the added weight took most of the fun away. I dragged raced a few cars and sadly they all beat me by a fender.
That is why i purchased a Sprint Booster to eliminate that initial throttle lag that gives our engines a slower response time which can mean a fender length before we catch up.

I used to have trouble even going against the V6 G37 before I added the Sprint Booster due to lag. Now I just leave those cars in the dust when I put my car in sport mode and then switch on the Sprint Booster. I only had a late model Corvette leave me in the dust even with the Sprint Boost, but it was not by much considering the power difference. So aside from insanely quick cars that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds, the Genesis hold its on well with a Sprint Booster.:)

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
people in anything will race anything.. I've had idiots in mini vans try.

I love when I walk past the a-hole v6 mustang, challenger, and Camaro guys.. guess they don't know what the T in 3.3T means..

I really love it when I'm at a traffic controlled on-ramp and some moron thinks they will get the jump on me when the light changes, turbos spool up and full torque @ 1500 rpm and I've seen a few puzzled looks followed by a ricer flyby 1 mile or so after I've merged and left them in my wake.

A lot of people underestimate the G80 Sport, which is one of the reasons I love it, understated, unassuming, sleeper car.

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Only wish if there was a way to get the Launch Control System on my G80

G70 Launch control system -

Gen127

Getting familiar with the group...
California
Over the last couple of months i have seen cars trying to drag race with me on stop lights
Whatever....:rolleyes:
Too many insecure young males attempting to one-up the perceived ‘competition.’ I see them often during my morning commute. One day they may eventually find less foolish means of establishing some self-worth.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Whatever....:rolleyes:
Too many insecure young males attempting to one-up the perceived ‘competition.’ I see them often during my morning commute. One day they may eventually find less foolish means of establishing some self-worth.
LOL. I wished it was only young males in my area that will gun it at the light that merges with the highway in my area. I have had older women in SUV and minivans go for broke at full throttle at the light to merge unto the highway first. I actually was caught by surprise when a older mature woman just floored her Prius at the light and got the jump on me. I never expected that.:)

However, most speedsters at that particular light own luxury cars, typical boy racer cars like the G37 and SUV regardless of age and gender.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've had plenty of blinged out pick ups try to run me, Ford turbos, GM V8 and Ram Hemi, got every one of them.....silly trucks........Fun Stuff🆒🆒

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I actually was caught by surprise when a older mature woman just floored her Prius at the light and got the jump on me. I never expected that.:)
Certainly older. Mature is questionable.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Certainly older. Mature is questionable.
Well, in her defense she got to speed quickly and merge effortless and was well on her way. Apparently she has be driving in the Atlanta area long enough to know how to drive with confident. Driving too slowly and timidly can get you killed on Atlanta roads. Driving quick and assertively is the norm on Atlanta roads.

I am still surprised that the older lady drove that Prius like she did. For one she looked about 60 y/o and two she was driving a Prius. I did not even consider her a threat for merging. I assumed she was just going to slowly merge into traffic and fall in behind me. I was wrong, I fell in behind her while I was laughing at how I got dusted by a Prius being driven by a Grandmother looking driver.

Last edited:

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
Exactly correct. I live North of Atlanta, work downtown. It bothers me tremendously when people do 45 mph down an On ramp trying to merge on a highway with people driving 75 mph at least.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Exactly correct. I live North of Atlanta, work downtown. It bothers me tremendously when people do 45 mph down an On ramp trying to merge on a highway with people driving 75 mph at least.
Oh man. I saw someone slowly trying to merge onto fast moving traffic today on the Stone Mountain hwy . Nearly cause an wreck when they did decide to just drift into oncoming traffic instead of yielding or just speeding up. The slow driver forced the speeding cars to hit the brakes so that they did hit the slow driver when he/she just slowly entered the highway.

However, most drivers are ready to race you to the off ramp at the next light especially during rush hour in Atlanta.:)

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Most of the power delivery is at 5000 to 6000 rpm - do you rev the car into that band to get the max power output .
I tried in manual mode - gears 1 2 and 3 - and rev up to 5000 rpm . The acceleration from zero is great at that combination.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The 3.3TT reaches max torque at 1500 rpm and is a table top till 4500 rpm, i like to hit the up shift lever at 4500 rpm, it actually shifts at nearly 5000, pulls real super hard.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Most of the power delivery is at 5000 to 6000 rpm - do you rev the car into that band to get the max power output .
I tried in manual mode - gears 1 2 and 3 - and rev up to 5000 rpm . The acceleration from zero is great at that combination.
The 5.0 V8 start making good take-off torque around 2k rpms and then just take off from there. Before 2k rpm the engine is sluggish due to a lack of torque even when the thottle is opened up stock or with a Sprint Booster module.

For a good take off first turn off the traction control, then put the car in drive, next hold the brake pedal while at the same time press the gas pedal and try to keep the revs around 2k rpm, and finally let off the brake. If you get it right with minimal wheel spin then you will hook up and fly down the road. This is called torque-braking, basically a manually performed launch control. You must have good rear tires for this to work without just spinning tires. The stock all-season tires are trash so it will be hard to get a good launch with them.

Last edited:

Nikhil Malhotra

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks , will try this out in a empty parking lot . I did not know about turning off traction control - this is good info .
I have the 3.8 so might have to rev higher .

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Thanks , will try this out in a empty parking lot . I did not know about turning off traction control - this is good info .
I have the 3.8 so might have to rev higher .
Put it in Sport mode and then hold the traction control button down until the car dings twice. First ding disables Traction control and second disables Stability control. If you leave Stability enabled the car will interrupt your pull about 2 seconds in.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.