Your opinion on road noise on 2009-2014 sedans?

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi, I just wanted to get your opinions on the road and interior noise on the 2009-2014 sedans. I will state my opinions, I am disappointed. Whenever going over certain rough surfaces, the interior noise is very loud. There is no out of the ordinary noise, this is just the car driving. I am running Michelin Premiere LTX Tires. I should make a point that I was in a 2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab and the tire and road noise was quieter than my 2011 Genesis sedan. However, I did feel more insulated from the road and cars in the genesis. Which brings me to another point. The car does not have enough insulation. I can hear lots of cars outside and feel like I am their business. Honestly, the noise levels and insulation are more like a very nice normal car as opposed to a luxury car. Now I haven't ridden in or driven a G80 or G90, but I'm sure they would be quieter (sat in one and the insulation was much better than my 2011). But I still find my Genesis loud even for a 2011 luxury car. Just wondering what you guys think. How does it compare to an E class or 3 series (either from that time or today)?

beachbaker

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2012 4.6 and before it a 5 series BMW and find the noise lever equal or better in the Genesis.

daviderle

Registered Member
I had a 2009 4.6 and 2013 R-Spec, I found the road noise got significantly reduced, with the addition of the ‘UNIQ Rigid Collars’ and michelin sport as3 plus, but the road noise did deteriorate after 15-20k of driving on the same set of tires.
Having said that, both the 2015 & 16 (aka G80) are best described as a tomb by comparison, barring a tiny squeak from the sunroof on the 2016, that used comes and goes, but the dealer addressed the issue for me last week.

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Are the windows and doors seals intact? I would look in those areas, since your tires are very good.
Yes, they are intact. I think it is just the insulation under the door panels is not enough. Although I may be being too picky. Also, the insulation in the under carriage may not be enough as over rough surfaces, it is very loud.

daviderle

Registered Member
Ok, that does not make sense!
For comparison can you mention other cars that you have driven that are quieter or louder than the genesis?

Another possibility is the vehicle may have been in accident and not repaired correctly?
Also at what speed do you begin to notice the road noise?
Do you hear the engine noise over the ambient road noise?
If so at which rpm?
Does the road noise increase with speed?

For reference your genesis should be almost as quite as an LS460:

Lexus LS 460
Sound level @ idle (dB)37.2
Full throttle (dB)68.3
70 mph cruise (dB)62.5

Genesis V6 Sedan:
Sound level @ idle (dB) 39.6
@ Full throttle (dB) 70.8
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 63.5

Auto Decibel Database

Last edited:

Mandrake

MN
Genesis Model Type
The Lexus LS is noticeably quieter on the inside, especially over things like railroad tracks. Its also floaty and disconnected feeling compared to the Genesis. Some of the noises in the Genesis just seem louder because there isn't as much background noise. I notice when particles of sand were hitting the windshield that I could really hear it whereas in my 2001 Lexus GS, I wouldn't be able to hear it as easily over the road noise.

I don't really understand the rigid collars thing but makes sense.

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Ok, that does not make sense!
For comparison can you mention other cars that you have driven that are quieter or louder than the genesis?

Another possibility is the vehicle may have been in accident and not repaired correctly?
Also at what speed do you begin to notice the road noise?
Do you hear the engine noise over the ambient road noise?
If so at which rpm?
Does the road noise increase with speed?

For reference your genesis should be almost as quite as an LS460:

Lexus LS 460
Sound level @ idle (dB)37.2
Full throttle (dB)68.3
70 mph cruise (dB)62.5

Genesis V6 Sedan:
Sound level @ idle (dB) 39.6
@ Full throttle (dB) 70.8
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 63.5

Auto Decibel Database
Hi, thanks for the info. Yes the vehicle has been in in an accident (the left rear door was involved). The problem is that the shop forgot to put the weather stripping on the bottom of the door back. But even before then, I was still disappointed. As I mentioned in my original post, I found the tire noise less in a 2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab. Also, my mom drives a 2011 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum, and I find the tire noise much quieter in that. However, sometimes in that car, overall cabin noise is louder due to all the wind noise (after all, it is a high profile vehicle) The insulation from the outside world in that car is way better than the Genesis. I can't hear people and cars outside as much as I can in the Genesis.

Genesiswonderer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Two quick thoughts. An inferior windshield replacement would increase noise. Also, the tires may be to blame.
Hi, the windshield has not been replaced to my knowledge an it has the Hyundai logo on it, signaling it's probably and most likely oem. It also has the acoustic logo on it. Also, my tires are Michelin Premier LTX.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Tires, road surface, and things like jersey-barriers have always mattered more than the car I was driving as far as road noise was concerned.

Ozy44

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My 2012 3.8 is pretty noisy on roads that have a larger aggregate mixed in the asphalt. On newer, finer aggregate asphalt, it quiets down instantaneously. I'm running General Altimax RT43's with a UTQG of 700 that came on the car when a purchased it. I'm wondering if a softer, stickier tire like a UTQG of 300-320 would make a difference in the noise? When the General tires wear out, I plan on installing a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2"s. I know they will wear faster but I only put about 5k a year on my car since I have a company vehicle.

Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
That is where the UNIQ rigid collar setup comes on its own, where on both the 4.6 and R-Spec significantly stabilized how the chassis reacts to changes in road surfaces.
So far, I found that neither the 2015 5.0, or the 2016 3.8 did not require such an intervention

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Yep, on coarse highway surfaces, my 2012 is loud as heck. I'm running the Michelin Premier LTX tires, which are quieter than most others I've used on the Genesis.

mabgenre

Louisiana
My 2012 is loud on rougher roads but very quiet on good surfaces. Regardless of the road noise I love my Genesis!
I don't notice hearing any other outside noise.

Jabald

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Road noise is caused by the shortcomings of the factory sound deadening. The genesis is not a 200k rolls royce, so they didn’t spend an uber amount of time sound deadening everything. If you install sound deadening in your car, you will experience a much much quieter ride. My buddie’s 2016 ford mustang uses a different cheap method to cut out road noise; It has a microphone mounted in the cabin, and when that mic senses road noise, it cancels out the road noise by playing the exact opposite sound wave Via the stereo system. Same idea as the bose headphones with sound canceling tec, except for it only cancels the road noise frequencies. A little mic in addition to the sound system that’s already present is a good way to sound deaden... i guess. Looked like a tin can under the panels though

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.