Zurich Vehicle Service Contract?

MrWhite

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hello all,

This past weekend, I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L with the premium package (but no tech package). It has 31,000 miles and is still under the factory 5yr/60K warranty until April.

I bought it at a Ford dealer and at closing they tried to sell me a 3yr/36K extended ford warranty. I said no thanks, as I wanted to shop around and check with the Hyundai dealer in town first.

The Hyundai dealer offered me a 7 year / 100,000 mile comprehensive vehicle service contract (extended warranty) from a company called Zurich. The dealer said that they had been using this company for over 13 years and though that they were the best (take that for what its worth). The policy is an exclusionary policy, meaning that everything is covered except for those things specifically excluded.

I searched online for reviews about Zurich and found some horror stories. However, I also found some dealers/insiders claiming that they were the best of the 3rd party service policies. I always take online complaints with a grain of salt. After all, if something goes wrong with your car and you take it in for repair and the company covers the bill, you don't start writing epic rants online about the experience. I find it's usually only the pissed off people who take the time to write lengthy reviews.

The price that they quoted me was $2,150. Since I already have 31k miles on the car, the warranty would give me 69K over 7 years. 10k miles per year for 7 years is not unreasonable and I think that the warranty would last me most of that 7 years.

So... overall, what do you think? Worth it? Would you buy it?

If it were a base model, plain jane car, I'd probably not do it. But, the Genesis has a lot of expensive electronics and motorized/powered everything. Repairs could get expensive if things start going wrong.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Call the Parts Department at Jim Ellis Hyundai in Atlanta and tell them you want to speak with someone about an extended warranty. Check out the options they give you.

MrWhite

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the tip. I called them today but unfortunately their prices were higher (about $2,600).

I'm still considering the Zurich policy, but haven't decided what to do yet.

geops

Registered Member
Louisiana
If the more expensive policy is the HMA one, it is worth it. With the Zurich one, you don't really know what you get.

unknown_owner

Registered Member
MrWhite,
Which policy did you end up getting? I was also quoted for the Zurich through my Hyundai Dealership for $2314 6yr/125K/$0, the full "Comprehensive" (exclusionary) policy. Talking to a Service rep that has taken car of my Veracruz, he said they're about the same. The benefit to the Zurich is that it's accepted at placed outside of the Hyundai Dealership and they pretty much offer the same benefits.

MrWhite

I left it until I had about three days left on the factory warranty, but I ended up purchasing the Zurich Comprehensive 7yr/100K/$0 service contract. It was about $2,450 after taxes. The dealer wouldn't budge at all on the price.

They showed me that the actual recommended price on the contract was about $3,300. They claimed that they have been using Zurich for more than a decade and have had a good experience with them in the service department. They said that they sell the contracts for about $100 over invoice preferring to make the money in the service department. I have no way of knowing if this is true, so take this with a grain of salt.

I've only had the contract for a few weeks and haven't had need to use it yet. Perhaps I will do some followup posts here over the next few years each time I have to use it and it will show whether the contract was worth it's purchase price or not.

Sailor23M

Chicago
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I also have been quoted Zurich comprehensive insurance for ~$2000 for 7 years and 100k miles (from the in-service date of the vehicle) and given that the policy is "Comprehensive" (exclusionary) policy I think its worth considering.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I also have been quoted Zurich comprehensive insurance for ~$2000 for 7 years and 100k miles (from the in-service date of the vehicle) and given that the policy is "Comprehensive" (exclusionary) policy I think its worth considering.
Considering the original warranty if you are buying new you are not getting anything on the drive train and you get 2 years and 40,000 miles on the rest. . Am I missing something?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.