Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 2015 Genesis Pricing, a bit more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 2015 Genesis Pricing, a bit more

Members don't see this ad
    Well when (if?) the US version of the AWD V8 version of the Genesis is released, I suppose it will settle the argument. I generally agree with Italia though. I don't think the BMW RWD-AWD comparison numbers are entirely comparable as BMW tends to under-promise and over-deliver on power, whereas with the 2012-2014 5.0 Genesis, I'm of the opinion that it's de-tuned slightly (particularly for torque). As Nissan has discovered time and time again when they have aimed for the M3 with the 350 and 370z, German horses are a lot stouter.

Personally, I'm estimating the AWD version of the Genesis will be about .1-.2s slower, so about 5.3 0-60, which is still pretty damned respectable.
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

ksoze is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aquineas View Post
    I generally agree with Italia though. I don't think the BMW RWD-AWD comparison numbers are entirely comparable as BMW tends to under-promise and over-deliver on power, whereas with the 2012-2014 5.0 Genesis, I'm of the opinion that it's de-tuned slightly (particularly for torque).
    There might be shift in the original argument happening here. There is no comparison between car brands being attempted here by me. The HP rating between the cars being discussed here are the exact same - the 535i and 535iX have the exact same engine (as does the 550i & 550iX), so how they rate them to other brands does not matter, it's the same rating between the two F10 cars models.

One will assume the new Genesis AWD and RWD model also share the exact same power plant, forget the viability of the rating. We do not have both drivetrain versions to gauge the 0-60 yet, so a similar platform may give some insight into the suggested "loss" of performance of AWD.

italiabrain is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
    Scusa Italian, you are incorrect. Tests show the X drive versions of BMW's cars to be faster 0-60, with the same HP. It is not really that surprising - in some cases the gearing is different in the AWD drivetrains and the added traction to all fours wheels on full throttle will slow up any anti-slip nannies from coming on resulting in quicker 0-60.

How will Hyundai's AWD versions fare? No idea, but based on other brands who use similar hardware (AWD), there may not be the gap you proposed. Even you agreed, quoting a MT test that had both BMW cars the same.
    How am I "incorrect"? I never said the Xi was slower than the i. I said the BMW trend wasn't comparable to the Genesis trend because the BMW benefits from significant low-end torque as a result of forced induction that the Genesis does not have.

I also suggested that the Genesis was more likely IN MY OPINION to follow the trend of other NA cars with significant disparities in peak HP and low-end Torque such as the GS and Q50.

crepen is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Bolton, ON, Canada
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
    I agree with you on pricing considerations, but not on performance numbers:

The 535xi is underrated at 300hp and (if the previous generation is an indicator) the Genesis will be slightly overrated at 420. The actual difference at the wheels between the two is likely to be more like 80hp.

Same for 0-60. Apples-to-apples: Motor Trend has the 535xi at 5.5s while they have the RSpec at 4.8s. Adding weight and drivetrain loss on AWD the new Genesis V8 Htrac will probably be in the 5.1 ballpark. Different, but not worlds apart.
    Sorry - you are right the 535xi is 300 not 241.

Still, you think that BMW understates by 20 and Hyundai over by 20 (or some such combo adding up to 40hp)? What facts do you have to support this? I don't buy it.

The G is bigger, faster, better kitted for less $. I have long been a BMW fan, but having driven recent BMWs (especially those on run-flats) the G is better suited to pot-holed CDN roads. It's not a fair fight.
    ---
    2009 Genesis Sedan 3.8l V6 Premium (CDN) Titanium Grey w\ Black Interior
    KDM Rear Logo, Wheel Caps, Steering Wheel, license plate bolts
    Backlit scuff plates, LED lighting inside and out, trunk liner, silver brake housings, Weathertech Digitalfit floorliner, Omega steering wheel cover
    ECB Rotors, Hawk HPS pads
    K&N Air Filter
    Summer: Bremmerkraft BR05 19" wheels w\ 245/45R19 Conti DSW
    Winter: OEM 18" with 235/50R18 Hankook I*cept evo

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by crepen View Post
    Sorry - you are right the 535xi is 300 not 241.

Still, you think that BMW understates by 20 and Hyundai over by 20 (or some such combo adding up to 40hp)? What facts do you have to support this? I don't buy it.

The G is bigger, faster, better kitted for less $. I have long been a BMW fan, but having driven recent BMWs (especially those on run-flats) the G is better suited to pot-holed CDN roads. It's not a fair fight.
    On the Hyundai being over rated (at least vs industry standards), here's a comparison to a non-German car advertised as having 9 fewer horsepower than the Genesis:

Edmunds on the same dyno has the 535 at 277. 277 vs 364... That's a difference of 87. I think that makes 80 a pretty good guess, don't you?

tompass is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in NJ/SC
    Cars in my garage

Perhaps that has something to do with Hyundai downgrading HP numbers on 2015 models. I compared performance of Acura TL SH AWD to '13 Genesis 3.8. Genesis rated at 333HP and TL at 306HP but TL much faster 0-60.

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by tompass View Post
    Perhaps that has something to do with Hyundai downgrading HP numbers on 2015 models. I compared performance of Acura TL SH AWD to '13 Genesis 3.8. Genesis rated at 333HP and TL at 306HP but TL much faster 0-60.
    I haven't checked this, but how close are they in weight?
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

I live in NJ/SC
    Cars in my garage

Acura TL SH AWD 4001 Genesis 3.8 3824

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by tompass View Post
    I think downrating on the 2015 is just that. I would bet that on the dyno it actually gains a little bit of power (dual intake and increased compression ratio seem like definitive positives). I think they're just moving toward the industry standard in terms of how they rate it. I'm betting the dyno line will move up to match the peak HP of the M56, and the advertised rating is also moving down to match it.

I haven't seen weight numbers for the 2015 Genesis in US spec 5.0 yet, but if the weight gain is minimal I wouldn't be surprised if the 275 rears and increased low-end torque shaved a tenth off the 2013 times.

I didn't think the TL was that much faster, at least not the automatic. Allow for an AWD clutch dump and the TL might do 5 flat, but I've seen 5.5ish for the auto.

I live in NJ/SC
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Yes, 5.5 for the TL SH AWD is about right but I have also seen 5.3 and 5.4. Don't think the Genny 3.8 can get there. I know the 4.6, which I have, is advertised at 5.3 but not so sure that is attainable unless completely defeating the ESC. So how can the heavier TL perform better than the lighter Genny with more advertised horsepower? 333/305.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast