Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 4.6 Oil Filter Location (Pics)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DesertGen is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Phoenix, AZ
    Cars in my garage

Default 4.6 Oil Filter Location (Pics)

Members don't see this ad
    I decided to get up close and personal with the Genny today. I wanted to see the oil filter location for myself. It is really not too hard to get too, although you do have to lift the front end up.

The lower engine cover has 8 - 10mm bolts and one Phillips head plastic anchor screw holding it in place. Remove them all and you are home free. I circled the bolt positions in red and the anchor screw in yellow on the "4.6 Lower Engine Cover" pic. Also see the "Anchor Screw" pic to see what it looks like installed.

As you can see from the "4.6 Oil Filter Location" pic it is in front of the oil pan at the front of the engine. The composite filter cap is marked 25mm, so you will need a socket this size, or you could probably get away with an adjustable wrench (although that could get sloppy). The "Oil Filter Body" pic gives you a different view.

Lastly, the oil drain plug can be easily reached through an access port in the cover (Oil Drain Hole pic), but this doesn't make any sense since you have to take the cover off to get to the filter. I've known some individuals who only changed their filter every other oil change, but for me the cost of the filter is not so expensive that I wouldn't want to change it every time.

The oil filter part number for the 4.6 is 26320-3C100 which can be found as a part for a number of Kia and Hyundai cars online. As for cost, Hyundai Parts Net has the filter for $5.31. Hyundai Parts Direct lists at $5.21. Of course, if you buy online you will pay for shipping (no tax), so even if you buy 6 filters, by the time you add shipping you are looking at close to $7.50 each. For that cost you are probably going to do just as well at the dealer.

As a final observation, it was a pleasure to get a good look under the Genesis. It is a well designed and well executed car. Seeing the thoughtfulness that went into the design gives me a lot of confidence in the potential for this car to last a long time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ConceptVBS is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in texas
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 4.6 Oil Filter Location (Pics)

Thanks for the pics!

Hmm.. thats an interesting looking filter. I've never seen those before. Wow, it looks like the undercarriage of the Genesis is well sealed. Hyundai tested this vehicle extensively in the wind tunnel and it definitely shows.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

The actaul filter that you purchase is only a cartrdige and what you see is the housing.

CRUBOS is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in GLENDORA, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Desert Gen,

Thanks for the pics, awesome job

ctrcbob is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Mount Dora FL; Penfield NY; Roswell NM
    Cars in my garage

Is that a drain bolt (allen head) on the bottom of the Oil Filter Body?

If it is, the Oil Filter Body can be drained before you take off the filter cap. If that is not a drain bolt, there is going to be a big mess when you remove the filter cap to change the filter. (What size allen head?)

Although I have no intention of changing my own oil, and filter, I'm going to make sure I have a 25mm socket, just in case.
    Bob CTRC
    USN Ret.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
    Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
    Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
    10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
    11 MKZ

I live in Phoenix, AZ
    Cars in my garage

Did the first oil change today at 2k (I prefer to do the first one early in the break-in cycle). Changed to M1 5w30.

A couple of things I discovered:

The 25mm that I thought I saw on the filter cover actually says 25nm, meaning newton meters (of torque). The actual nut size is 27mm as someone else had stated. You will need a socket to do this, don't bother trying to use a cresent wrench cause it just slips off.

As noted in one of the pics I posted, the filter housing has a 6mm allen head screw, which is in fact a pre-drain plug. Very useful for this type of filter. I was able to drain nearly all of the oil before removing the filter.

The actual part number for the 4.6 filter is 26320-3F100 (although the dealer was even uncertain about this - yikes!). The kit comes with replacement o rings for both the filter cap and the allen screw. I paid 8.53 with tax.

Draining the oil from this car is interesting. The pan bolt is on the side of the pan, so when you take it out the oil just gushes out in a sideways arc a good foot away from the pan. Gotta watch where you place your drain pan or you'll have oil all over the floor, as I did.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGen View Post
    The actual part number for the 4.6 filter is 26320-3F100 (although the dealer was even uncertain about this - yikes!). The kit comes with replacement o rings for both the filter cap and the allen screw. I paid 8.53 with tax.
    I believe that the filter cartridge is the same for both V6 and V8, but V6 filter is on top of engine and it naturally drains back into the engine (pics are in another thread). I picked up a V6 cartridge that has the same part number (although the parts guy originally tried to give a traditional metal filter).

Not sure, but the oil pump and filter system may be from this company:
    http://www.hengst.de/conpresso/_rubr...dmanagement_EN

I live in Phoenix, AZ
    Cars in my garage

The replacement filter is stamped "Mahle 26330-3c300" which leads me to believe the filter system is from this company:

http://www.mahle.com/C125705E004FDAF...6LG8T186WEBBEN

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGen View Post
    The actual nut size is 27mm as someone else had stated. You will need a socket to do this, don't bother trying to use a cresent wrench cause it just slips off.
    Does anyone know if a 27mm 12-point socket will work, or does it need to be 6-point (like the actaul nut)?

I have the V6 but both engines use the same filter.

Blackout is offline Getting familiar with the group... I live in Hamilton, NJ
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Interesting. This is the first set of pics I've seen of the underside of the Genesis and I'm impressed with it having true duals instead of like on my old Lincoln Mark VIII a single pipe with two pipes to make it look like it's a true dual setup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast