Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: spontaneous shattered tinted glass wind deflector 2015 Genesis
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tommy carter is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Question spontaneous shattered tinted glass wind deflector 2015 Genesis

Members don't see this ad
    Yesterday while driving my 2015 Genesis sedan we heard a loud bang at first we thought something dropped on top of the sunroof but we were on the interstate with no trees near us, no traffic near us ,no overpass above us, when I stopped the tinted glass piece in front of the sunroof was cracked all the way across with no sign of an object impact at all. I took it to the dealer and they said they will call me. Anyone ever heard of this?

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX

Default Re: spontaneous shattered tinted glass wind deflector 2015 Genesis

Are you talking about the optional sunroof wind deflector?
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar

dareckibmw is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Sedan
    I live in Romeoville, IL

I wonder if it has anything to do with Santa Fe's pano roof exploding out of nowhere?

2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 Empire State Gray (fastest color ever)
    2016 Hyundai Veloster 2.0L Turbo (Daughter's car)
    2017 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L AWD Ultimate (Wife's car)
    2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Titanium Gray Metallic (fastest color Rspec) (sold)
    1999 BMW 540i/6 (sold)

zielritter is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Union, KY

I thought the wind deflector was plastic? Glass would seem like a bad idea for this type of piece.

2012 Genesis Sedan 4.6l V8 385HP/333ft-lbs

White Satin Pearl - Tech Package
    Magnaflow CBE
    MSA Cat Deletes
    R2C CAI
    AM GT500 Shelby 19x8.5 wheels
    Megan Racing Street Coilovers
    Uniq Performance Rigid Collars
    20% 3M Tint
    Custom Front Lip
    Trunk Spoiler

I live in Georgetown, TX

Quote Originally Posted by zielritter View Post
    I thought the wind deflector was plastic? Glass would seem like a bad idea for this type of piece.
    In the 1st Gen, the Sunroof Wind deflector was indeed plastic. Not absolutely certain that the original poster is referring to the sunroof wind deflector, though. For clarity, does it resemble the item listed below (which admittedly is for the Genesis Coupe, but I'm linking for the picture):
    http://www.hyundaipartssuperstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=529&utm_source=Google &utm_medium=Merchant%2BCenter&utm_campaign=Feed&gc lid=Cj0KEQjwifWnBRCB5PT57KSVw-kBEiQASV7aRDX1n8_gaKAW8CouiVkcO5NnCJ3iTNV5ElkSdaMi tQgaAkKS8P8HAQ

dareckibmw is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Sedan
    I live in Romeoville, IL

I think he meant that part, no?

I live in Georgetown, TX

Derekibmw, you're probably right.

jonnysul is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by tommy carter View Post
    Yesterday while driving my 2015 Genesis sedan we heard a loud bang at first we thought something dropped on top of the sunroof but we were on the interstate with no trees near us, no traffic near us ,no overpass above us, when I stopped the tinted glass piece in front of the sunroof was cracked all the way across with no sign of an object impact at all. I took it to the dealer and they said they will call me. Anyone ever heard of this?
    I just had the same thing happen today as I was driving down the highway. Nothing seemed to have hit the roof, just the popping sound and then the sound of the glass as it was shuffling around the roof. I set an appointment with Hyundai for tomorrow morning, but at first conversation they of course indicated it is not common and would not be covered under warranty without a claim filed with Hyundai Corporate. I am wondering what the outcome was of your situation, did they end up covering it for you?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jonnysul; 02-10-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Adding Picture

xsolara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Central Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysul View Post
    I just had the same thing happen today as I was driving down the highway. Nothing seemed to have hit the roof, just the popping sound and then the sound of the glass as it was shuffling around the roof. I set an appointment with Hyundai for tomorrow morning, but at first conversation they of course indicated it is not common and would not be covered under warranty without a claim filed with Hyundai Corporate. I am wondering what the outcome was of your situation, did they end up covering it for you?
    Your picture to me shows it to be a stress fracture not something like a hit damage..... Hyundai should pay not your insurance company
    Black 2015 Genesis AWD 3.8L with Sig. Pkg
    "ACT UPON WHAT YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU THINK"

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

This has been reported before. If I were you, I would do an exhaustive search of this forum and find all the other posts of members who have had the same problem. Then send it to the dealer and HMA.

Alwaysforward is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in South Florida - Treasure Coast

Ditto...^
    Now part of the Genesis family as of September 23rd, 2014...
    Current Vehicles:
    • 2015 Hyundai Genesis - 5.0 Ultimate - Montecito Blue (The fastest color) /Beige Interior - Build Date July 8th, 2014
    • 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with Ultimate Package
    • 1998 Honda Civic LX

Favorite Past Vehicles:
    • 2005 F250 Supercrew 4X4 with a Triton V10
    • 2002 Honda Civic SI
    • 1999 Ford Taurus SHO
    • 1995 Ford 150 Lightining
    • 1991 Ford Thunderbird
    • 1985 Buick Limited Regal
    • 1971 Buick Skylark

I just had the same thing happen to my 2015 Genesis! The section between the windshield and the sunroof just disintegrated around the edges. We were driving down the highway and heard the sound you normally hear when you drive through rocky dirt and you hear small rocks kicking up into your fender well, but it was on top of the car. We pulled over and saw that it was little bits of glass streaming back along the sunroof. I'm curious if the original poster had luck with Hyundai paying for the repair. I'm anticipating the dealer and Hyundai being coy about it and sticking me with the bill. Any thoughts on this?

chris41 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Cleveland

Interesting thread....

I've heard a loud pop twice already. The first time I thought a rock hit the windshield. The second time sounded the same so I assumed it to be just something stressed in cold weather. Now I will see if it pertains to the piece of glass in question.

wfk is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2015 5.0 Ultimate Black/ Ivory
    I live in Atlanta area

I had the 6 inch wide glass panel crack but not shatter on my 2015 5.0 last month. Took it in to my dealer, Rick Case and they replaced the panel at no cost under warranty. Had about 40k miles on it.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, I started an earlier thread on this.

5 Timer is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Sparks, NV

Members don't see this ad
    Kind of makes you wonder how many more glass panels have cracked, but the owners are not on this forum - or owners that have not posted a similar experience on this forum
    Anyone else?

Posted 3/9/2015:
    Posted 2/10/2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysul View Post
    Posted 12/27/16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryandowen View Post
    I just had the same thing happen to my 2015 Genesis! The section between the windshield and the sunroof just disintegrated around the edges. We were driving down the highway and heard the sound you normally hear when you drive through rocky dirt and you hear small rocks kicking up into your fender well, but it was on top of the car. We pulled over and saw that it was little bits of glass streaming back along the sunroof. I'm curious if the original poster had luck with Hyundai paying for the repair. I'm anticipating the dealer and Hyundai being coy about it and sticking me with the bill. Any thoughts on this?
    Posted 12/28/16
    Quote Originally Posted by wfk View Post
    The 6 inch wide roof panel between the windshield and the sunroof on my 2015 5.0 sedan has cracked in a ring about 1 inch in from the edge 3/4 of the way around the panel. There was no accident or stone hit that I'm aware of. Anyone else have this issue? I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast