Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,166
    Rep Power
    4

    Default 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Members don't see this ad
    Everyone who has done the oil/filter change on the 2015 Genny V8 (including dealers) seems to agree that it is a first rate bear to remove the under panels that prevent ready access to the filter assembly and drain plug.

    The long rear panel that covers the pan drain plug is particular hard to remove/replace.

    My question is: Has anyone tried used something like the MityVac oil extractor to remove the oil on this engine? Then only the front panel has to be removed.

    My thinking is the engine has a "cable" type dipstick and a convoluted dip tube to match, so the idea ain't so good.

    Any ideas/experience?
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue


  2. #2
    Midnightsun is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Montreal, Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,087
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Problem is the panel needs to come off regardless to access the oil filter. I actually have a pretty good unit which I do not even use because of what I just said however this is used on everything else I own right down to the garden tractor. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3859_200623859
    2015 HTRAC V8 Ultimate Montecito Blue/Ivory
    Born July 10th 2014
    1996 Mercedes SL 320 Polar White/Grey, Mint
    2014 Fiat 500L lounge, Loaded, White.
    2017 Honda Ridgeline Touring, White.

  3. #3
    kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,166
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    The shop manual indicates that only the front panel (the easy one) has to be removed to access the filter ass'y.

  4. #4
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,568
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by kn5owa View Post
    Everyone who has done the oil/filter change on the 2015 Genny V8 (including dealers) seems to agree that it is a first rate bear to remove the under panels that prevent ready access to the filter assembly and drain plug.

    The long rear panel that covers the pan drain plug is particular hard to remove/replace.

    My question is: Has anyone tried used something like the MityVac oil extractor to remove the oil on this engine? Then only the front panel has to be removed.

    My thinking is the engine has a "cable" type dipstick and a convoluted dip tube to match, so the idea ain't so good.

    Any ideas/experience?
    Yes, I have posted extensively about using a MityVac on the V6 and others have tried it on the V8 and say it works well (I believe including 2015 also, but not 100% sure).

    However, make sure you get the model which uses an external air compressor (any small/cheap compressor will do) to create a suction. The hand pump units do not work well IMO.

    Also, when you put the tube down the dipstick, you have to move it around a lot to make sure you get all the oil. If you do it right, you will extract more oil than can be removed with the drain plug.

  5. #5
    kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,166
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Yes, I have posted extensively about using a MityVac on the V6 and others have tried it on the V8 and say it works well (I believe including 2015 also, but not 100% sure).

    However, make sure you get the model which uses an external air compressor (any small/cheap compressor will do) to create a suction. The hand pump units do not work well IMO.

    Also, when you put the tube down the dipstick, you have to move it around a lot to make sure you get all the oil. If you do it right, you will extract more oil than can be removed with the drain plug.
    Mity-vac has 2 models - 7201 hand pumped and 7300 compressor powered. Maybe I will get one or the other and use my Sonata as the guinea pig.

    It seems that the suction method for oil removal is also very popular at Mercedes dealers.

    And this Edmunds thing is very interesting: http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/the-to...il-change.html

  6. #6
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,568
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by kn5owa View Post
    Mity-vac has 2 models - 7201 hand pumped and 7300 compressor powered. Maybe I will get one or the other and use my Sonata as the guinea pig.

    It seems that the suction method for oil removal is also very popular at Mercedes dealers.

    And this Edmunds thing is very interesting: http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/the-to...il-change.html
    I believe MityVac has a lot more than 2 models, but the 7300 is the one you want (the one I have). Looks like $94 and free shipping on Amazon. You just need an air compressor. If you don't have an air compressor, a very small electric one will work fine.

    I have tried 2 hand pump ones, and they will remove 80-90% of the oil, but very tough to get the rest out without constant suction. Also, the hand pumps eventually break, so they ended up in the trash can.

    Yes, MB and BMW dealers typically use oil extractors to remove motor oil.
    Last edited by Mark_888; 08-28-2015 at 02:53 PM.

  7. #7
    kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,166
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post

    Yes, MB and BMW dealers typically use oil extractors to remove motor oil.
    I think Genesis dealers may be using them soon - if not already.

    Anyway - I ordered the MV 7300 - will see.

  8. #8
    xsolara's Avatar
    xsolara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Central Wisconsin
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    I think you can cross off extracting oil from dipstick area.... I tried to do this using my own vac pump and the tube does not go down far enough..there seems to be something stopping the drain tube. (3.8L eng) I also tried on 2013 Elantra GT and it was the same problem.
    If you notice the dipstick is a thin flex rod with a small indicator area...maybe it narrows as it get into oil pan???

  9. #9
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,568
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by xsolara View Post
    I think you can cross off extracting oil from dipstick area.... I tried to do this using my own vac pump and the tube does not go down far enough..there seems to be something stopping the drain tube. (3.8L eng) I also tried on 2013 Elantra GT and it was the same problem.
    If you notice the dipstick is a thin flex rod with a small indicator area...maybe it narrows as it get into oil pan???
    Did you see what I posted? I have been using it for a long time, and others have used it on the Genesis V6.

    I will admit, that on the Mityvac thin tube, it sometimes stops half way down, but you have sort of twist and force it to get it past where it gets stuck. The tube many need to be twisted because it has a natural curve in it (it is rolled up when stored).

    What brand of pump do you have.

  10. #10
    xsolara's Avatar
    xsolara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Central Wisconsin
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    430
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

    Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Did you see what I posted? I have been using it for a long time, and others have used it on the Genesis V6.

    I will admit, that on the Mityvac thin tube, it sometimes stops half way down, but you have sort of twist and force it to get it past where it gets stuck. The tube many need to be twisted because it has a natural curve in it (it is rolled up when stored).

    What brand of pump do you have.
    It's a home brew unit I made using a heavy duty diesel fuel pump. I have used it for years and works great. It worked on the 2012 Azera plus several other cars
    On the 3.8L eng the dipstick tube has a small bend in it before it enters the pan.... the hose I'm using should have easily made past the bend to the pan.
    It was a solid stop and I was afraid to force any further. Maybe thinner tube might make it but I have not been able to find one locally.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out these options below:


 

Check out what the competition is up to. The Kia Stinger is a large sport-oriented hatchback in the mold of the Audi A7.