Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Premium vs. Ultimate
    Rey is offline Registered Member What I drive: '14 Equus Signature
    I live in Salem, OR
    Cars in my garage

Default Premium vs. Ultimate

Members don't see this ad
    I have a copy of the official G90 brochure. Did a specification comparison between Premium and Ultimate editions.
    Here is what is unique to the Ultimate
    1. Power rear seats.
    2. Rear seat illuminated vanity mirrors.
    3. Rear seat power head restraints.
    4. Full LED headlights with Dynamic Bending Light.

I am not a big fan of AWD. I think it is much overrated and oversold. I have had AWD vehicles and have driven in snow country for 60 years now. AWD is great for starting traction. That is obvious. It also works better in plowing through deep snow. No advantage with stopping, nor at lateral sliding. On smooth dry pavement one might experience a bit more controllable handling at the very top limits of adhesion, which is rarely experienced except on tracks. AWD can more or less neutralize the tendency to oversteer. By the same token matching rear tire size to front tires will also do this, and much cheaper. AWD adds weight and driveline friction loss, which means reduced gas mileage. A troubling aspect of AWD is the false sense of confidence it inspires (personal experience). Next time you are exposed to truly icy conditions where cars are sliding off the road make a quick observation of just what kind of vehicles are in the ditch. I think you will see most are large trucks and SUVs with AWD.

I presently think my motor choice will be the V6, though I am a big fan of Hyundai V8s (have owned four). The V6 is lighter and will be a bit more nimble in handling. The torque curve of the V6 is much broader than the V8, which means more "power" or "top-gear stomp" with the V6. The V8 shines at top rpm.

Genesis Motors is offline Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Premium vs. Ultimate

Hmm.. There's not REALLY a whole lot to 'need' with the Ultimate. And the V6 will probably feel better around town and any time other than going full throttle on the highway. The V8 will be a bit quieter. And I think you described all wheel drive perfectly. Most of the time you don't need it - but it does come in handy at times... If money is no object - might as well get it. Ya know? Otherwise, it's not really much of a loss if you don't get it. The G90 is a very impressive vehicle. Is there any difference in leather quality between the Premium and Ultimate?

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    I am not a big fan of AWD. I think it is much overrated and oversold.
    That's fine if you can choose to not drive your G90 on snowy days (stay home or drive something else), but if you have to drive on snow, then RWD is not acceptable. FWD or AWD is much better on snow, even if (as you say) it gives a false sense of security on ice.

I don't think it snows all that much in Salem Oregon.

srobak is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    I have a copy of the official G90 brochure. Did a specification comparison between Premium and Ultimate editions.

1. Power rear seats.
    12 and 14 way power seats, specifically. That's an awful lot of articulation for a back seat. That is actually a deal breaker for me. If they do not offer the power seats in the V6 in a few years when I am ready to buy, then I will be getting the V8.

You also forgot that biggest difference between the trims - the V8 engine.

I am not a big fan of AWD. I think it is much overrated and oversold. I have had AWD vehicles and have driven in snow country for 60 years now. AWD is great for starting traction. That is obvious. It also works better in plowing through deep snow. No advantage with stopping, nor at lateral sliding.
    While I do think it is used as a selling point a bit too much, and while I grew up learning to drive a RWD in an area that gets more than 200 inches of snow per year - typically having more than 3 feet on the ground from December through March - there are indeed a lot of advantages that AWD does bring to the table - in direct contrast to some of your points.

Something to remember is that the AWD of today is not the AWD or 4WD of yesteryear. It has advanced by leaps and bounds and does in fact offer a lot of real world & real life benefit to even the casual driver who happens to be out on a rainy, snowy or icy day... or finds themselves on gravel or even a surface transition. Give this video a watch to see exactly how active, and aggressive the awd on the Genesis is:

AWD adds weight and driveline friction loss, which means reduced gas mileage.
    2mpg in mixed driving. Hardly something to worry about.

A troubling aspect of AWD is the false sense of confidence it inspires (personal experience). Next time you are exposed to truly icy conditions where cars are sliding off the road make a quick observation of just what kind of vehicles are in the ditch. I think you will see most are large trucks and SUVs with AWD.
    Nothing can stop bad & experienced drivers from sliding off... not even AWD. But it can indeed help - so long as you are not being stupid with the car. If someone was as stupid in a 2wd - they would find themselves in the ditch too. AWD or not - there is no excuse for not knowing the limits of your own vehicle and driving with extra care when road and weather conditions warrant it. But an AWD vehicle in the hands of someone who knows how to actually drive it - can help them get through many things a FWD or RWD cannot.

The V6 is lighter and will be a bit more nimble in handling.
    Marginally so. The weight difference is negligible on a car that weighs this much to begin with. As for handling - this is a grand touring car, not a sports sedan. If you are driving it in a way that nimble handling suddenly becomes a necessity - then you are driving the wrong car and should look into the G80.

The torque curve of the V6 is much broader than the V8, which means more "power" or "top-gear stomp" with the V6. The V8 shines at top rpm.
    Yeah, a turbo will do that. If you read my review of it - you will see where I mention the RPMs are already over peak-torque by the time your foot makes the pedal hit the floor. It runs pretty evenly with the V8 up to about 60, and then the 8 starts pulling away. The V8 also has better roll-on power delivery for passing, but the V6 is more than ample as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Motors View Post
    Hmm.. There's not REALLY a whole lot to 'need' with the Ultimate.
    The back seats are a must for me. And I also hope that by then they start putting in the rear entertainment that is already available in other markets.

If money is no object - might as well get it. Ya know?
    When you are at that level of pricing - it isn't so much an issue of money not being an object... but the fact that the extra $2500 isn't going to make but a few dollars difference in your monthly payment. Eating 3 less burgers a month will pay for it.

Is there any difference in leather quality between the Premium and Ultimate?
    No, they are the same seats - other than the power aspect in the back.

I don't think it snows all that much in Salem Oregon.
    No... in fact it is one of the mildest areas in the country for winters. Go a little east into the mountains however... and it can quickly become a different matter. But then again - I grew up in the Great White North... and driving in almost any kind of snow has never bothered me as I didn't have a choice except to learn how. best thing I ever did for my driving career.

Rey is offline Registered Member What I drive: '14 Equus Signature
    I live in Salem, OR
    Cars in my garage

While I current reside in virtually snowless Salem, OR I was raised in Minnesota and have a fair amount of experience driving on unplowed western mountain roads with/without AWD. My experience is that winter tires make all the difference, except for chains. The weight increase with AWD is material and is reflected in reduced gas mileage.
    BUT, it seems to me that the principle advantage of AWD is enhanced resale over RWD. It may well be that when all is said and done the overall cost of AWD, including depreciation, may actually be less than RWD.

Oscarnero is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

I agree with you 100. RWD with good winter tires is all you need in the snow. I live in CO and my 2012 4.6 Genesis performs remarkably well in the snow when equipped with blizzaks Ws80 tires. I don't miss my Audi A4 Quattro a bit.
    Last edited by Oscarnero; 11-06-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

1xbuck is offline Hasn't posted much yet... I live in Carmel, IN
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    I can only say this from my experiences from driving every type of car imaginable in my 40 years of driving is that AWD is definitely more advanced than those of previous years. I grew up driving RWD cars in the 70s. When my father got a FWD Olds Toronado that was definitely a game changer in the snow. I then experienced my first winter with a Jeep in 1980. As most schooled drivers understand 4WD vehicles are better for traction and surface grip, but will slide just like any other car. My first Genesis was the 2015 3.8 Ultimate with HTRAC because the it was not available on 5.0 at the time. When I happened to get warranty service for a couple of days, I was loaned a 3.8 Signature with RWD and immediately noticed a difference in the "grip" driving through snow covered areas. Living here in Indiana AWD is not a necessity, but it sure beats keeping a set "snow" tires and wheels in the garage like many of my more affluent friends choose to do who drive S Class and 7 series. Besides that, for the extra $3-4K I stepped up to V8 with AWD and few other bells and whistles.