Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 2017 G80 or 2017 Buick Lacrosse for the quietest and most comfortable ride?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    who66 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Houston, Texas

Default Re: 2017 G80 or 2017 Buick Lacrosse for the quietest and most comfortable ride?

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    If all I wanted was quiet and comfortable I'd get an Avalon.
    Hello,

I have driven both, and I used to have an Avalon Limited (2013). All three are nice but the G80 was the one I chose. The Buick just didn't drive as well. Can't explain it, but it felt sort of like a boat drifting along. My Avalon was a good driving car, but the ride on the Limited was harsh...way too harsh. From what I can tell, there was a design issue with the Limited version and the 18 inch wheels which led it to have a jarring ride over bumpy surfaces. Other than that I like the Avalon, and I do think they addressed the ride issue with the '16 model. Also, a close competitor was the Lincoln MKZ. I just got a better deal on the G80. Hope this helps!

BJCaspianBlack is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Eastern Washington State

Default Re: 2017 G80 or 2017 Buick Lacrosse for the quietest and most comfortable ride?

Several reviews indicate that the Genesis & G80 are at 79 db for cabin noise. My 2016 ultimate is the quietest car I have ever owned. A quiet cabin is a must for me. I have yet to hear of a car less than 78 db. I am sure they are out there, just not sure who they are? I wish CR would give a cabin db rating. They always seem subjective?

Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston

I could never bring myself to buy another product from GM. Never. No car manufacturer is as cynical and cavalier about the consumer. For them, it's always been about profit. For example, you get this for interior fit and finish:
    2017-Chevrolet-Cruze-Hatchback-LT-13-of-15-610x407.jpg

AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    I could never bring myself to buy another product from GM. Never. No car manufacturer is as cynical and cavalier about the consumer. For them, it's always been about profit. ...
    My experience with Hyundai/Genesis has been dismal. Reproducible problems (extensive vibration from the Michelin's while driving, extensive vibrations at idle - unrelated issues) have been acknowledged by Hyundai (not dealership, but actual Hyundai employees) and described as "normal" since they are exhibited on other Genesis cars as well. My Genesis has been the worst car I have owned in the past 30 years. And the experience with Hyundai (America's Best Warranty. as advertised by Hyundai) has been unsatisfactory. My $16,000 rental car Chevy Cruze base model drove better (i.e. no vibration while driving or at idle) than my $50,000 Genesis Ultimate. My car was in the service department for almost 4 weeks, and still exhibits the same issues.

Apparently, for Hyundai/Genesis it is normal that luxury cars vibrate like a Magic Wand ...
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png

Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    My experience with Hyundai/Genesis has been dismal. Reproducible problems (extensive vibration from the Michelin's while driving, extensive vibrations at idle - unrelated issues) have been acknowledged by Hyundai (not dealership, but actual Hyundai employees) and described as "normal" since they are exhibited on other Genesis cars as well. My Genesis has been the worst car I have owned in the past 30 years. And the experience with Hyundai (America's Best Warranty. as advertised by Hyundai) has been unsatisfactory. My $16,000 rental car Chevy Cruze base model drove better (i.e. no vibration while driving or at idle) than my $50,000 Genesis Ultimate. My car was in the service department for almost 4 weeks, and still exhibits the same issues.

Apparently, for Hyundai/Genesis it is normal that luxury cars vibrate like a Magic Wand ...
    I've mentioned elsewhere that I won't buy another one until the vibration issue at low engine speeds with heavy AC load has been eliminated. One contributor said he did not find vibration in the steering wheel objectionable. I find it highly objectionable since it masks information I should be getting from the running gear and the road. I've had no issues with the running gear, but that seems to be good luck. So many people on this forum have had vibration problems with the tires and wheels, particularly AWD. Has anybody experiencing vibration issues had a tire shop check the runout on the wheels?

Hoosier Dave is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Indiana/Florida

I took a quick look at the new Buick and it is a nice car. I thought the rides were close. Two factors came into play for my choosing the G-80. One, Buick advertises a very aggressive lease price but that price is a car that literally has nothing on it. As you add on all the safety and luxury add features, taxes, fees,etc., the price escalates rapidly. The dealer I was talking to seemed uninterested in really talking turkey. The second factor was just a personal preference on my part; I just don't like the line which swoops upward over the rear wheel well. It is similar to the Impala and it just doesn't suit my eye. I thought the Genesis felt a little heavier and substantial and since I drive it to Florida and back from Indiana twice per year, that was a factor. Both are good cars IMO.

Joey is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Forida

Quote Originally Posted by BJCaspianBlack View Post
    Several reviews indicate that the Genesis & G80 are at 79 db for cabin noise. My 2016 ultimate is the quietest car I have ever owned. A quiet cabin is a must for me. I have yet to hear of a car less than 78 db. I am sure they are out there, just not sure who they are? I wish CR would give a cabin db rating. They always seem subjective?

It's hard to measure quietness since different reviewers use different methods (devices) and moreover are not testing over the same driving conditions (surface, wind, etc.). This guy on youtube is pretty good, though, and his test results are surprising:

1. G80 is 67db (quieter than Lexus LS and Audi A6!)
    2. G90 is 68.5db and A- on both ride & handling
    3. '17 Lacrosse is 70db (with the crummy 20" tires and silly adaptive suspension)
    4. Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is 69 db in EV mode same with MDX Hybrid
    5. Most other hybrids are 70 db and higher

These numbers may not be absolute, but you're comparing apples to apples since the guy is using the same criteria / same roads for his comparison.

I can't believe the G80 beats the G90!

BJCaspianBlack is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Eastern Washington State

Not to mention ignition switch failures that they knew about years before they got caught!

Genesis Motors is offline Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida

Why would the G80 be more quiet than the G90?

Mcc is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
    I live in Los Angeles

There is no error calculation attached to any of these numbers. My guess is that all the results are about the same (no significant difference). within the error of the measurements. The differences just make good press.

Genesis Motors is offline Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

True, and good point...

Quote Originally Posted by Mcc View Post
    There is no error calculation attached to any of these numbers. My guess is that all the results are about the same (no significant difference). within the error of the measurements. The differences just make good press.

Joey is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Forida

I've noticed that the 2017 Lacrosse is not selling well at all! In the meantime, you see a G80 on every other street corner in some cities in SE FL, and also a few G90s more recently...

Mcc is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
    I live in Los Angeles

I am not sure sure why we are even talking about the Lacrosse in the same sentence with the Genesis, I am glad you are seeing more G80 and G90 on the streets of Florida. Same thing here in Los Angeles. A lot more, Genesis on the street.

jailer is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcc View Post
    I am not sure sure why we are even talking about the Lacrosse in the same sentence with the Genesis, .
    LOL.. exacty.

Members don't see this ad
    Well, it's okay to compare competitor's vehicles or cross-shopped vehicles here. There's certainly no rule against discussing these things. For many people, the LaCrosse is on their short-list when considering cars like the Genesis G80. If you're looking for a soft, quiet ride that doesn't break the bank - the Buick LaCrosse should naturally be on that list. Along with the Lexus ES and maybe even Toyota Avalon. But the G80 is certainly a step above the LaCrosse on the luxury automobile hierarchy.

This is where people come to make educated decisions for their next vehicle purchase. The last thing we should do is act like "fan boys" who say "Genesis is better than all" and discourage comparisons with anything else.

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast