Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Warranty vs Self-Maintenance
    jemanner is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Rexburg, ID

Default Warranty vs Self-Maintenance

Members don't see this ad
    New to the forum, so I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it. I realize allegedly the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects one if they wish to do their own limited maintenance, such as oil and other fluid changes. To be honest, I don't trust the kid hired last week, and still in learning mode, to do quality oil changes, etc. Have always done my own, without exception for 50+ years. Ditto for other relatively simple tasks such as engine air and cabin filters, brakes, etc. What has been the experience of owners in this regard?

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Warranty vs Self-Maintenance

There are no warranty issues if you do the maintenance yourself, provided you do the following:

1. Keep all receipts for oil and filters.
    2. Keep a log of all maintenance with a description of work performed, mileage, and date of service. In addition to your own log, I recommend duplicating it on www.myhyundai.com.
    3. Use the Hyundai OEM cartridge oil filter. You can purchase it at any dealer, or a website that sells OEM parts (which are run by Hyundai dealers). The reason for using the OEM oil filter has been discussed in detail in many other threads, so I am not going to explain it again. You can use after-market filters for engine air filter and cabin filter if you really want to (and if they meet specs).

If you get the 3.8 V6, you can probably reach the oil filter from the top, and can use an oil extractor (attached to air compressor) to remove the oil with a tube in the dipstick without having to get underneath the car. Starting in 2015, there are some nasty panels that have to be removed if you do it from the bottom.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8

Quote Originally Posted by jemanner View Post
    New to the forum, so I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it. I realize allegedly the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects one if they wish to do their own limited maintenance, such as oil and other fluid changes. To be honest, I don't trust the kid hired last week, and still in learning mode, to do quality oil changes, etc. Have always done my own, without exception for 50+ years. Ditto for other relatively simple tasks such as engine air and cabin filters, brakes, etc. What has been the experience of owners in this regard?
    I have been doing my own maintenance & repair for 60+ years - maintenance on the 5.0 V8 is a bear, generally, But with the right tools & experience, I am sure that you can easily do a better job than the dealer. There are quite a few posts on the forum concerning maintenance - but not nearly as much as the ones concerning gadgets and problems associated therewith.

Keeping a service record is sometimes impt. when you dispose of a car - even a lease - people may ask to see it.
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

chris41 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by jemanner View Post
    As a side note....what's makes forums like this so great, is the ability to find out owners with common issues and how to fix them....especially after the warranty when the buck is on you. And I would have never thought of buying a Mityvac without Mark and the member who wrote up the oil change with pictures. Absolutely priceless!
    Last edited by chris41; 11-26-2016 at 06:39 PM.

lobsenza is offline Registered Member I live in Austin, TX

Members don't see this ad
    Keep the oil filter box top. Write the date and mileage of the oil change on the box top. That should be sufficient proof. You could also keep oil receipts.
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8