Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: True Dual Exhaust on the G80 3.8 AWD?
    jemanner is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Rexburg, ID

Default True Dual Exhaust on the G80 3.8 AWD?

Members don't see this ad
    Don't own one yet, but the probability is high. A tech question for those who have been under their G80 3.8 AWD. It appears from YouTube videos that there is a true dual exhaust (twin pipes from the engine all the way to the rear of the car, save a common collector box). It this true? Just curious, as there are so many pseudo dual exhausts (one pipe, which splits near the rear of the vehicle) on vehicles. Would look myself, but the dealer is a good distance away.

markpoisson is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: True Dual Exhaust on the G80 3.8 AWD?

Quote Originally Posted by jemanner View Post
    Don't own one yet, but the probability is high. A tech question for those who have been under their G80 3.8 AWD. It appears from YouTube videos that there is a true dual exhaust (twin pipes from the engine all the way to the rear of the car, save a common collector box). It this true? Just curious, as there are so many pseudo dual exhausts (one pipe, which splits near the rear of the vehicle) on vehicles. Would look myself, but the dealer is a good distance away.
    I believe it is a true dual exhaust - see the image. This is for the 3.8. There is a center exhaust that seems shared but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is a pipe for each side front to back.

1076295.png
    2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate
    2013 Sante Fe Limited

Genesis Motors is online now Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by markpoisson View Post
    I believe it is a true dual exhaust - see the image. This is for the 3.8. There is a center exhaust that seems shared but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is a pipe for each side front to back.

1076295.png
    That's most certainly a true dual exhaust right there...

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.

jemanner is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Rexburg, ID

Quote Originally Posted by markpoisson View Post

1076295.png
    Looks like they did it first-class. Thanks!

jstrickphoto is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in MN

Members don't see this ad
    In that diagram, part #6 is likely has an internal crossover pipe (X-pipe or H-pipe). These are commonly used to equalize exhaust pulses from each manifold but they each change power and the final exhaust note.

An X-Pipe ensures both exhaust pipes have the same pressure. but the slight boost in power is derived at higher RPMs. The exhaust note here is higher and commonly described as a more exotic sound. Typically a smoother exhaust flow and less in-cabin drone.

An H-Pipe is just as it sounds - a small pipe connects between the two exhaust pipes. As exhaust pulses travel down the system, exhaust is pushed and pulled between each side based on the exhaust pulses. Performance gains are noticed at lower RPMs. The exhaust note is traditionally lower and muscular. Obviously a bit more of a rumbly exhaust system that can often bring drone into the cabin area.

I've never really considered swapping out the exhaust with a cat-back solution - mainly because I have enjoyed the quiet of the car. But the thought does cross my mind to add cutouts and a more aggressive set of pipes and plumbing
    His: 2017 Caspian Black / light grey G80 3.8 Ultimate
    Previous Genesis:
    2014 Santiago Silver R-Spec
    2011 Midnight Black 4.6 Tech
    Hers: 2014 Circuit Silver Sante Fe AWD Limited w/Ultimate Package