Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    harwax is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Question 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?

Members don't see this ad
    I know over the years their has been much discussion on best tires to switch to (because of recall). Now that many 2015 G2 sedan owners are nearing the deadline to switch - can owners who made the switch earlier, give the rest of us your wisdom of the good and the bad tire experience, so those still sitting on the fence can now make an intelligent choice.

Gen 2 2015
    Tech Package
    AWD V6
    Monticito Blue/Gray interior

AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX

Default Re: 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?

My recommendation: Avoid the Michelin tires that Hyundai has designated as the replacement at all cost. So many people reporting steering wheel vibration issues, it's definitely related to that specific type of tire. Multiple threads on here about these tires.

It cost me four trips to two different dealer service departments, two trips to Discount Tire and five weeks of driving crap box rental cars to get that issue resolved. For the time and money I spent getting the issues with the damn Michelin tires sorted out, I could have purchased two sets of different tires myself.

The issue is know at Hyundai corporate, yet they still use the Michelin tires as replacements - the "why" is beyond my understanding.
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png

Are the Michelins my only choice and do I have to deal only with a Hyundai dealership?

xsolara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Central Wisconsin

I was given no choice except Michelins.....If I could it would be Conti DW06
    But it can't hurt to ask :=)
    Black 2015 Genesis AWD 3.8L with Sig. Pkg
    "ACT UPON WHAT YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU THINK"

rickfen is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Mississauga, Ontario

I have the recall Michelins on my car and while they are not bad, I still feel vibrations particularly when first driving and also under other circumstances. I also find they are not as quiet as other tires. I had a Gen 1 previous and when the Dunlops wore out (17000 miles), I replaced with Bridgestone Turenza Serenitys. I was extremely happy with these tires both with smoothness and quietness. ( I wear hearing aids so quiet is important to me). I also had 40000miles on the Bridgestones when I traded the car and they still had half of their tread left. I don't know how they are for "handling", but I found them to be extremely smooth and quiet under most circumstances. Just waiting for my recall Michelin's to wear out)

jsmit86 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL

There have been posts that if you have the original Hankooks, you can go to a tire dealer and get them replaced. Some have reported success at Discount Tire.
    I had Michelin Primacy MXM4s on mine, so not in the recall. I had the vibration issue, and they replaced them with more MXM4s. Still had the issue, and Hyundai authorized a one time adjustment to replace mine with Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06. No issues. Great tire.

During the process I did have a chance to drive another Genesis that has a set of Michelins with no vibration issues. Other than my problems with the vibrations, the tires were fine. They were even pretty good in the snow, although the Contis DWS 06s are better.
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8

Michelin's quality is all over the place

Many years ago I bought something called Michelin Silhouettes at Costco.

Worst tires I ever had - apparently some sort of cheapie replacement tire
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

glennk is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by kn5owa View Post
    Michelin's quality is all over the place

Many years ago I bought something called Michelin Silhouettes at Costco.

Worst tires I ever had - apparently some sort of cheapie replacement tire
    So true. I think Michelin has always made excellent Summer and UHPAS (Ultra High Performance All Season) tires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by harwax View Post
    I know over the years their has been much discussion on best tires to switch to (because of recall). Now that many 2015 G2 sedan owners are nearing the deadline to switch - can owners who made the switch earlier, give the rest of us your wisdom of the good and the bad tire experience, so those still sitting on the fence can now make an intelligent choice.

Gen 2 2015
    Tech Package
    AWD V6
    Monticito Blue/Gray interior
    What kind of tire are you looking for? Something more performance oriented or more grand touring?

PaFromFL is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

I've had no problems with the Michelin Primacy MXM4s that were installed last November. The original Hankooks had about 30,000 miles and were getting pretty noisy.
    2015 Hyundai 3.8 Genesis Ultimate Casablanca White
    Reversible Cargo Tray, Wheel Locks, Mud Guards, Rear Bumper Applique, First Aid Kit

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by glennk View Post
    So true. I think Michelin has always made excellent Summer and UHPAS (Ultra High Performance All Season) tires.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of tire are you looking for? Something more performance oriented or more grand touring?
    Not looking for anything fancy- just want a good replacement tire for a nice quite ride. Can I insist on the Conti DWS 06 from the dealer or am I allowed to go to any tire dealer (I have the original Hancook tires that came with my 2015 G2) and have them honor the recall. I live on Long Island, NY

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast