Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    glennk is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    Thank you (150 USD for a w rated tire!), i like unidirectional tires, and good reviews on Tire Rack.
    No problem. Seeing as we don't see much of the Winter mix in Texas, these are perfect. If you're needing a softer, four season tire, the DWS06 are highly touted by others. But, please read the reviews.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

jsmit86 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Check out the reviews on Tire Rack. The BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S are All Season tires, and they rate decent in the snow for an All Season Tire.
    There is also a review on BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2... with out the A/S at the end. That is a similar summer tire. These both look pretty reasonable for the $$$.
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

glennk is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmit86 View Post
    Check out the reviews on Tire Rack. The BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S are All Season tires, and they rate decent in the snow for an All Season Tire.
    There is also a review on BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2... with out the A/S at the end. That is a similar summer tire. These both look pretty reasonable for the $$$.
    Considering where you live JSmit, I'd consider the Conti's. You really need a four season tire, or something more dedicated for winter. The things I don't like about the DSW06's are the soft sidewall and tramlining.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennk View Post
    Considering where you live JSmit, I'd consider the Conti's. You really need a four season tire, or something more dedicated for winter. The things I don't like about the DSW06's are the soft sidewall and tramlining.
    I have the Contis! I agree that they are a better winter tire. Another poster had mentioned the BF Goodrich as a decent budget choice. The ratings on Tire Rack say they are pretty good.

If I was in the recall from the original Hankooks, I'd go to Discount Tire or similar, and see if I could get the Contis. Another high rated tire is the Michelin Premier A/S. If I had to stay with Michelin, those seem to be a better bet than the MXMs. I had 2 defective sets of MXMs. They had balance issues. Other than that, they were OK. Pretty good in snow last year, but not as good as the Conti DWS 06s.

sensazngen is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

I had the Continental Procontact TX in my 2015 5.0. It's a really quiet tire and did decent in regards Performance. Unfortunately my last oil changed I was notified I only had 4/32 on the rears after only 20k. So I was also debating between the Continental DW06 and the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. I had the older DWS on my BMW and although it was great for the all season and light snow I felt the sidewall was a bit soft. So I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. I've been very happy with them so far. Great grip in dry pavement and wet so far. Performance is much better than the TX which is expected since the TX was a touring tire. They are super quiet at all speeds and I feel more confident in all exit ramps. I got mine at Costco since they offer free road hazard, nitrogen, Michelin had $70 off, and for executive Costco members they gave me free mount and balance. After tax I was out the door at $888. I'll update the forum after the next snow fall.

ksoze is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb View Post
    Can you elaborate on the end of the recall. My 2015 3.8 ultimate has the original hankooks on. I was at service recently for oil change and we specifically talked about holding off on the tire swap. I was under the impression I had quite a bit more time before this recall entitlement ran out (do recalls ever really expire anyways ) ?
    I am in same boat. Was told there was no expiration of the recall and I could wait until I wanted. The Hankook's have been fine and wanted to wait and use this tread up more. Not thrilled about the Conti model being offered, and would like to upgrade but no "Discount Tires" near me
    2015 V8 Ultimate - Black/Ivory Interior - Build Date: July 2014

harwax is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

The tire recall gave you 3 years to replace the tires. The 3 year time frame is now fast approaching for early owners of the 2015 G2.

Cars in my garage

The time limit may have changed since it is now a safety recall.
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by harwax View Post
    The tire recall gave you 3 years to replace the tires. The 3 year time frame is now fast approaching for early owners of the 2015 G2.
    The original campaign was not a recall. That was a TSB for folks who were having vibration issues. Some time after that NHTSA/DOT had Hankook issue a recall due to sidewall failures. If it was my car, I would have had them changed immediately once the sidewall failure issue became known.

When the original TSB was announced, and there was no known safety issue, it made perfect sense to keep the Hankooks on the car as long as you had decent tread. Once the safety issue became known, this became a full recall. No time limit, but it's risky to have these on the car. You really wouldn't want a tire to fail on the highway.

- - - Updated - - -

What Conti tire were you offered?

Since this is a recall, you may want to try contacting Hankook directly. They may have another dealer who can assist with a credit toward whatever tire you want. There will obviously be a dollar limit, but any upgrade should be reasonable.

More info here:
    http://www.hankooktire.com/us/tire-recalls.41.html

harwax is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmit86 View Post
    The original campaign was not a recall. That was a TSB for folks who were having vibration issues. Some time after that NHTSA/DOT had Hankook issue a recall due to sidewall failures. If it was my car, I would have had them changed immediately once the sidewall failure issue became known.

When the original TSB was announced, and there was no known safety issue, it made perfect sense to keep the Hankooks on the car as long as you had decent tread. Once the safety issue became known, this became a full recall. No time limit, but it's risky to have these on the car. You really wouldn't want a tire to fail on the highway.

- - - Updated - - -

What Conti tire were you offered?

Since this is a recall, you may want to try contacting Hankook directly. They may have another dealer who can assist with a credit toward whatever tire you want. There will obviously be a dollar limit, but any upgrade should be reasonable.

More info here:
    http://www.hankooktire.com/us/tire-recalls.41.html
    I only remember receiving a hyundai tsb notification stating the 3 year window. I don't remember receiving a 2nd notice saying the hancook tire was now a safety recall. If it is now a safety recall then it appears the 3 year original time frame has gone out the window. Just want to make sure that no more 3 year time limit. Feel free to agree/disagree with me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast