Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Dead batteries
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Dead batteries

  1. #11
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,594
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by rbres View Post
    Yes I've noticed that many times my front driver side door does not fully close unless I use quite a bit of force! Was wondering about that so glad it's not just me.
    I had an old VW Beetle like that. Had to slam the door shut. Of course, the older VW beetles were legendary for be able to float when driven into water (at least for awhile).
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...eetle-floats/1


  2. #12
    Laxvic is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: NJ
    I live in Freehold
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    [QUOTE=Seejay;235663]If that is the case, then it makes no sense, or other electronics that draw considerable power are in play here. Incandescent cabin lights left on in a car with a conventional fllooded cell battery can go for days and still start the car. The lighting in our cars are LED and the AGM battery is a deeper cycle battery than flooded cell.

    It may not make sense to you however this is a forum where we give suggestions and experiences that we all share to help each other understand the dynamics of our vehicles. It may not apply to all but already we had some responses with similar experiences and a simple solution may be the key to help others avoid a dead battery. If you have another solution please post; this is what happened to me and others may had the same issue and I'm glad I was able to shed some light. Help the forum by giving ideas and solutions first.

  3. #13
    Seejay's Avatar
    Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Age
    64
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxvic View Post
    It may not make sense to you however this is a forum where we give suggestions and experiences that we all share to help each other understand the dynamics of our vehicles. It may not apply to all but already we had some responses with similar experiences and a simple solution may be the key to help others avoid a dead battery. If you have another solution please post; this is what happened to me and others may had the same issue and I'm glad I was able to shed some light. Help the forum by giving ideas and solutions first.
    Please read this thread: http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...pparent-reason
    Please read this post: http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...744#post234744
    Please read this post: http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...910#post216910
    and this post: http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...722#post234722

    I am trying to help here. I was not implying that you did not make sense, just that the electrical characteristics of the car do not allow for that as an explanation in full, but it may be partially true. I am fairly convinced that amongst a background of bad batteries (some people's problems are fixed once their battery is replaced), there is another problem. If you park your car in a quiet place, you can hear a motor or servo run for about 2-3 seconds when you turn the engine off and open the door quickly afterwards. You have to be in a quiet place (I can only hear it in my garage). It's my pet theory that sometimes under unknown circumstances, perhaps when the doors are not closed properly, this motor or servo runs continuously, killing the battery. Hyundai dealers are apparently still struggling with this issue, since it is now a topic in the G80 forum.

  4. #14
    asleep@thewheel is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Add me to the list of battery issues. 2015 5.0 Ultimate, battery died. Overnight went to 4.4 volts. Would not take a charge or allow jump start. Towed to dealer. New battery installed under warranty.

  5. #15
    Jackthelad is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in West Virginia
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Parasitic drain is a problem on most (all?) heavily computerized cars. It's well known that Corvettes for example (I have one) can flatten their batteries in a couple weeks if not on a "tender". The battery failures reported above sound like solid failures of the AGM battery, probably nothing to do with parasitic drain. I've experienced "instant" battery failure twice - but both with good old lead acid batteries. Both times they went from working to zero voltage instantaneously. One did it with style by splitting open and dumping acid everywhere......

  6. #16
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,594
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackthelad View Post
    Parasitic drain is a problem on most (all?) heavily computerized cars. It's well known that Corvettes for example (I have one) can flatten their batteries in a couple weeks if not on a "tender". The battery failures reported above sound like solid failures of the AGM battery, probably nothing to do with parasitic drain. I've experienced "instant" battery failure twice - but both with good old lead acid batteries. Both times they went from working to zero voltage instantaneously. One did it with style by splitting open and dumping acid everywhere......
    Batteries can die almost instantaneously when the internal cells rupture and the cells become compromised, or if the battery just splits open. This can happen more often as the result of sudden shock, especially if the battery is hot due to high ambient temps that makes the plastic cells weaker. Having the battery in the trunk, instead of the engine bay, helps the Genesis somewhat in this regard.

    There have been reports on this forum of relatively quick battery drain due to the Genesis electronics not shutting down completely even when the engine is off. This can be because of leaving a door or trunk lid open overnight, or some defects in the Genesis, especially those with the high-end Genesis packages. For some of the first generation Genesis models, this happened when a rubber stopper on the hood was missing, which was supposed to engage some kind of switch when the hood was closed to shut off all the electronics. It's not always the fault of the battery.

    AGM and regular batteries are actually both lead acid batteries. AGM has acid in Absorbed Glass Mat cells made of ultra-fine fiberglass to hold the acid between the lead plates, whereas regular batteries are have Flooded Cells between the plates. Because the AGM batteries store the acid in the tightly packed fiberglass mat cells, they are less susceptible to vibration and other forces that can physically damage the internal walls of battery that can make them compromised.

    Just because a battery is AGM does NOT make it a deep cycle battery. Many companies now have AGM technology for starting batteries and other non-deep cycle applications. Those still have the physical durability advantages of AGM, but are not deep cycle. It is primarily plate thickness that makes a battery deep cycle, not whether it is flooded or AGM.

  7. #17
    pmcjr's Avatar
    pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Add me to the list of battery issues. 2015 5.0 Ultimate, battery died. Overnight went to 4.4 volts. Would not take a charge or allow jump start. Towed to dealer. New battery installed under warranty.
    When the dealer replaces a battery, do they/can they hook up to a external battery source to avoid you losing all settings, audio presets, etc. I'd hate to have to remember all the door lock settings, etc. that were set up when I got the car. It took me a least a month to find out what could be set based on your preferences.
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

  8. #18
    Seejay's Avatar
    Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Age
    64
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Quote Originally Posted by pmcjr View Post
    When the dealer replaces a battery, do they/can they hook up to a external battery source to avoid you losing all settings, audio presets, etc. I'd hate to have to remember all the door lock settings, etc. that were set up when I got the car. It took me a least a month to find out what could be set based on your preferences.
    I am pretty sure that no one on this forum has lost settings on their G2 when the battery died.

  9. #19
    Jackthelad is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in West Virginia
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Dead batteries

    Members don't see this ad
    Don't understand your last para. I did not mention deep cell anywhere in my post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out these options below:


 

Check out what the competition is up to. The Kia Stinger is a large sport-oriented hatchback in the mold of the Audi A7.