Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: OFFICIAL TUNE FOR 1st Gen 5.0's
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Roc is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2013 5.0 R Spec
    I live in Md

Default Re: OFFICIAL TUNE FOR 1st Gen 5.0's

Members don't see this ad
    I guess my last comments. Not against what you are trying to do. Does Bisimoto have a modified streetable 5.0 Sedan available with what you want? So that you can see for yourself how it runs on the road, not just dyno results or for SEMA shows. Or just saying they were able to do it? Doing a 3.8 won't cut it in my opinion. Don't be first is always good advice. Check out a running daily driver car to see if you can live with it. If you are only going to use it to run, then what I wrote doesn't matter. NOS: Yes you can have what every you want with NOS. So many ways to work its operation and hp delivery. Take time and call some rod shops. Ca. is big in this. 5.0 Mustangs heavy users.
    Anyway, keep us all informed of your progress.

Dreamsy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec
    I live in LA

Thank you for that Roc. I was just looking into how long 10lbs of Nitrous would last, and it is a bit sad I have to admit, I was really considering it since, such the easy power is there. I was under the impression would last a good month. I come to find out it last like 10 races or so lol. I know I would use it often I feel, because that's what gives the car a fun feeling!! Idk shucks.. It is tempting, but what is not tempting is how fast it runs out.. For your question, no I have not seen a streetable 5.0 with performance cams, I would just ask them to grind the cams to at least stage 2 cams. Stage 3 or higher, the car might stall even, but yeah I do understand what I am getting into, and probably be the first for public to do it. I am not sure why Bisimoto is so gay tho... They won't even install them, even if I paid them!! So gonna have to save like $1200 to afford there prices, if I want to get my cams done by them, idk I hit up CompCam about it, waiting on their reply, hopefully can help me with a reasonable price!

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX

Aright guys, I am loving this thread. But for the benefit of the uninformed out there, you know the kind of people I'm talking about (i.e., me).. Does TCU stand for "transmission control unit?"
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" TSW Amaroo Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar

I live in Md

Yep. Controls shift points, max rpms/speed limiters. Most car compaines try to protect the logic and codes imbeded in these units & ECUs to prevent tampering, etc. With the 100K power train warranty on Hyundais, can see why they make it extremely hard to break in, decipher and recode.

- - - Updated - - -

The 10 races are 1/4 mile(1320') track races. Also depends on hp shot. 75 shot =more runs than 150 shot. Some guys have 2 tanks just in case. Most street runs are less than 500 ft (nomially 2-5 city blocks). If you are ahead, idea is to blow cometition off, then quit before gets too high mph an all the potential problems that that incures...If you look at results of 1/8 mile tracks, regular cars are going over 80+mph at the end of that run. I admit the alure of having a turbo or supercharged engine has great bragging rights, but winning is winning and NOS is just another way of getting more power out of your engine, thought in a stealth manner..
    I am surprised that Bisimoto won't install. Seems like onus/risk is all on you to get it right. Who's at fault if problems? LAP3 said will install their ECU in my car. I'm hoping that they will follow through and call me when they get the new ECU.

Dreamsy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec
    I live in LA

Hey Roc, yeah who are you talking to at LAP3? David right? It really, really sucks. So it was supposed to be like March 25-26th when I'd be getting tuned, but they moved the date to July 2nd. Freaking one of my brother's wedding days, I have to be in Oregon on July 2nd-3rd I really don't know what to do. I'm utterly effed I feel.. I tried messaging if they could move it up at least to 4th of July (nobody really I see around here celebrates that until night time anyway) unless family BBQ of course. It just sucks man, I am glad that it was postponed to see if I can get the cams for sure tuned to, and maybe even supercharger if have enough money. Sigh freaking July 2nd, can't believe they did that date.

I live in Md

David is the only one I talked to. He said they are planning to do an ECU install at a dyno facility in Fairfax, Va. within the next few months and will contact me when they get set up. I volunteered my car without strings as a test rig for the ECU and dyno runs, first dyno with out it then after installed and tuned. This would be good since same dyno /same day/same car comparison in real world. Hope he is able to keep his promise.

NSXNEXT is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan

2013 Titanium Gray Metallic RSpec sedan
    OEM wood wheel
    KDM airbag, wheel caps, trunk emblem
    Hoen H7 high beams / H8 yellow fogs
    Uniq Performance Rigid Collars
    Niche M157 Matte Charcoal 20x8.5 +35 / 20x10 +40
    XPEL full hood, front bumper, front quarter panels, mirrors
    Optimum Opti-Coat
    Magnaflow catback and MSA cat deletes - gone but not forgotten
    Coming soon: matte charcoal wrapped chrome trim

mtriples is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2015 5.0 Sedan HTRAC
    I live in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsy View Post
    Okay so my cams came in today for anyone who is curious. So I got into contact with Bisimoto and WOWWWWW they are wanting to charge me $2250 to make them performance cams!! They said with a partial sponsorship it would be $1983, and these prices are without installing so I would have to pay another $800 or so for that. I was thinking in the $1200 or so range to make them performance cams, but nope.. For the price Bisimoto is requesting I feel I could go supercharged and gain close to 100whp, as compared to a 40whp gain for cams for the same price. So anyone have thoughts on this?? I have factory cams sitting now, and don't know anyone else who can grind these into performance cams.
    For that price, I'd suggest looking at billet cams over regrinds. I know GSC does billets, I'll see if I have time to call them today.

I live in LA

Thank you for that mtriples I do appreciate that. And I was speaking to LAP3 and saying yet again, we can do TCU tuning but there will have to be a high demand. I really wish I could get like 30 or 40 people messaging him about this other than me.. Our 5.0's would kick butt with transmission tuning, I know for a fact, it would make the transmission snappy instead of slothy. Quicker shifting, and delete that lag when gunning your car, man just makes me dream. I went on a cruise with about 100 other cars a few Fridays ago, and think it was about a 50 roll or so, and almost had the 6th Gen Camaro 2SS beat, but he pulls ahead in his Manual, being able to be shifting all quick. Man I just thought to myself if I could just delete that whole second lag and fix the throttle response. I paid like $300 and something awhile back for a pedal commander, but nope did not change a thing, I mean it make's the car "feel more fun" doesn't delete the lag like I thought it would. The only thing that has helped is the throttle body ported, and intake manifold done. It helps a little, but I feel like it just feels like when you throw on a CAI, if anything 10-15whp max. I am looking into some serious power now.. I am holding off on paying Bisimoto anything, and investing the setup into 2 Garrett turbos (undecided which ones to get) a member on the forum names John Toca I believe had done something like this done to his 2nd Gen Sedan. (Yeah I would love, love, love a supercharger), but at this point I think turbos are going to be easier, even though they are usually a pain in the butt I hear to put them on a NA vehicle. I want to have this done in about or month or so, when LAP3 get here, they could tune to it. If all goes good, I would love to post my dyno results on here.

mtriples is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2015 5.0 Sedan HTRAC
    I live in Canada

So...just an update, Greg at GSC says one-off billet cams would probably cost as much as the car itself haha. Not surprised they won't go for it, considering how small the 5.0 market actually is. I've reached out to Crower now, I'll keep you posted. Might hit up Bryant if Crower doesn't pan out.

Maybe a little TB work and porting on the head would help, I haven't dug into them personally, but it would take some convincing that an intake would matter on the 2nd gen. The dual filter and pipe system is fairly impressive as is.

I live in Canada

Finally some better news. Crower gave the same answer about billet cores as GSC...however they said they should be able regrind stock cams for about $100 per cam, so $400 for the set.

On a side note, Bryant Racing is apparently pretty passionate that they only do crankshafts haha.

I live in Md

PAUL
    I wonder if the Korean Hyundia tech department has any fixes? Mercs are solid all the way to 155 limiter. Really doesn't match car's performance. My old Mark VIII didn't shake at 145. Dealers don't want to hear about it. Seems to come from the hood back nearest windshield. Can see rear lifting. Don't trust that single hood lock to hold it at higher speeds.. May try to remove rubber seal at rear of hood/firewall to let air out.

Paul is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Jacksonville, Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    PAUL
    I Seems to come from the hood back nearest windshield... Can see rear lifting... May try to remove rubber seal at rear of hood/firewall to let air out.
    Thats the exact area it appeared to be shaking from. I rarely take my car that fast, but it's nice to know that I can without the hood shaking. I'll try messing with the seal a bit or something else to relieve the high pressure areas under the hood.

This was actually a common problem with 2G DSMs (Talon/Eclipse), and the common fix was to duct the hood. However, this is a luxury car and I'm not about to start cutting holes in my hood and adding vents.
    Paul
    2012 5.0 Sedan (Non R-Spec)

I live in LA

Very sad news me for me!! My cams are getting grinded by Crower right now thanks to mtriples saving me a fortune. LAP3 is trying to cancel the event as of now, due to people backing out, or not able to be waiting and ought the canned tuned of of their website. So who is gonna tuned to my cams now, or even forced induction?? So he refunded 8 people as of right now, so there are only 6 people left right now including me, and I think the goal is 15 people people. They are expanding there shop in Korea right now, so he says after that, he will ask to reschedule. Sigh, I was afraid this would happen, if anyone knows anyone in SoCal area with a Veloster or Kia or whatever basically anything Korean that could message them saying they're interested to get this going again. I myself have been dying for a tune to happen, and not going to let it just go away that easily. I understand $1200 is a lot for anyone who owns a 5.0, so I am currently looking into people who have anything other than that.

I live in Md

Members don't see this ad
    Paul
    Please let me know if it works. I was out in South Dakota with straight roads and no traffic when I tried it. Can't believe that Hyundia, who knows it has a top end of at least 155, would release the car with this problem.
    Roc

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast