Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Thoughts on AEM 21-796C Cold Air Intake
    SteveWynn80 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Cleveland, Ohio

Question Thoughts on AEM 21-796C Cold Air Intake

Members don't see this ad
    **Looking for some feedback**

2017 Genesis G80 3.8L AWD - Ultimate

Want to install an AEM Cold Air Intake System

AEM doesn't have one for the 2017, but they do have it for the 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

To my knowledge the only difference between the 2016 and the 2107 is the badge/name swap

The engine and all the components should be the same

Before I make a $300 gamble, would like to know if anyone else has experience with this

and also, is it worth the money??

AEM is claiming a 19 HP @ 5100 RPM & 19-ft lbs torque

MadCat is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis V8 5.0 Ultimate
    I live in Brooklyn, NY

Default Re: Thoughts on AEM 21-796C Cold Air Intake

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWynn80 View Post
    **Looking for some feedback**

2017 Genesis G80 3.8L AWD - Ultimate

Want to install an AEM Cold Air Intake System

AEM doesn't have one for the 2017, but they do have it for the 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L

To my knowledge the only difference between the 2016 and the 2107 is the badge/name swap

The engine and all the components should be the same

Before I make a $300 gamble, would like to know if anyone else has experience with this

and also, is it worth the money??

AEM is claiming a 19 HP @ 5100 RPM & 19-ft lbs torque
    Not worth it. You will only notice (may be) a sound difference.. Get drop-in K&N filter, will work better for this car than CAI.

2015 Genesis V8 5.0 Ultimate
    G80 Full LED Headlight System
    K&N Drop In Filters
    Niche Wheels
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43 Coupe

SOLD:
    2016 Mercedes AMG C450
    2014 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate Black
    2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 Limited

Rey is offline Registered Member What I drive: '14 Equus Signature
    I live in Salem, OR

These after market cone air filters draw very warm intake air from the engine compartment. There is no true "cold air intake" with most of these systems.
    Curiously, the stock oem system is more of a cold air intake - trace the convoluted intake routing.

In most cases the dyno tests of after market cone air filter systems are with the hood open, making the intake a "cold air intake".

diamondmit is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

I have been very happy with my AEM intake and note the dyno data provided by AEM. The sound is terrific under heavy throttle, and fades into the background while cruising or under light throttle. Not sure if I can sense the additional power and torque but I like the sound much better. I just wish the throttle balance on this car was much better. It's way too sensitive at high rpm when you're trying to balance the car....I just pogo between too much and too little. But back to the intake, I'd take the plunge. The kit is very well built and comes with effective directions. This is my 6th or 7th cold air intake (Honda, BMW, BMW, Lexus, Subaru, Acura, Genesis) and I've had very good results with them.

good luck,
    David

Parasurfer1979 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 4.6
    I live in Wilmington, NC

Quote Originally Posted by MadCat View Post
    Not worth it. You will only notice (may be) a sound difference.. Get drop-in K&N filter, will work better for this car than CAI.
    So says the guy with the 5.0 V8...:-). The V6 with an intake sounds so mean. Sounds like a Infiniti G37. I was watching a video of a Genesis 3.8 Coupe on youtube this morning. Its butter smooth. I say get it. When I mod, I base it after hp/$. 19hp is a big jump. Its easy to make Huge gains on turbo cars. I'd do the ECU re-flash then be done. Just my .02.
    Desmond,

2012 Genesis 4.6
    Genesis Badge in rear

Future mods- Change out all incandescent bulbs in the car to LED, change the fog lights to 3000K LED, change high beams to 4300K. (4300K gives out more light than bluer light like 6000K), Lip spoiler, and painted OEM mud flaps. I wanna update the car in a clean way. I'll be putting glossy black vinyl on the roof too. Okay, im done.

Gold is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Nanuet

I believe you would do better using Techron in the tank to clean your injectors. Most of these cold air intakes do nothing but make noise.

Roc is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2013 5.0 R Spec
    I live in Md

Members don't see this ad
    This discussion about intakes and filters has been run through the entire site since 2012. Typically rwhp dyno ratings are not to be trusted unless rigerously tested correctly/before and after. I found that with an open intake the difference was less than 2-4 hp over regular filter. Some tests reported on this site show that the K&N clog faster and flow less unless really cleaned and oiled correctly, correctly being very important. One engineer stated that the standard filter has more usable filter area than the aftermarket filters. Easiest is to pull out the magnetics in the oem intake box and enjoy the sound and mid range added power. Also cat deletes are a great, easily installed improvement throughout the rev range and do not screw up emission inspections. Both add some nice sounds.