Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: I hope this isn't a serious problem
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Riley2323 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2017 G90 Ultimate, Caspian Black
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: I hope this isn't a serious problem

Members don't see this ad
    Most likely Bluetooth compatibility issues. When I would update my phones to the latest OS, I am an early adopter so I was always on the bleeding edge of betas and jailbreaks they would always cause problems. My old BMW's Nav system would always reboot when incompatibility existed. You have to find the sweet spot between newer phone models, but not cutting edge software updates. Car manufacturers don't update that frequently.

Try an iPhone or Samsung and see if you get issues. I think sometimes when the phones or locked it can cause issues too. I have had issues with my iPhone when it was locked now that I think of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Teaser titles work the best in my opinion too. They don't work the best when researching issues locally on the forum search engine. Luckily I think Google puts it altogether usually.

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Please note that when I had my BT problem with my (also brand-new) Genesis, the dealer's initial reaction was to claim that it was a phone incompatibility. I then proceeded to pair the phone with another Genesis on the lot and worked just fine, at which point the shocked tech-writer said, "We will order you a new head-unit ASAP." I only say that to note that if the problem comes back and you suspect that it's bluetooth related, it still might not be your phone.

In any case, hopefully the issue is resolved permanently and this whole thing becomes moot :-).
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA
    Cars in my garage

Ditto what Mark888 said!
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD

Riley2323 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2017 G90 Ultimate, Caspian Black
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

Well most of these companies making chips and boards employ 6 sigma to ensure 99 plus percentage quality. Stuff happens obviously, Samsung batteries comes to mind, but chances are it is not the hardware. I have never heard of six sigma being employed with software development, just beta testing and new releases and regression testing and more releases. Six sigma on the car's hardware and the phone's hardware versus non-six sigma on the car's and phone's software and I will bet it is software related with blame being difficult to assign.

jsmit86 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Try resetting the unit. There is a recessed button "hole". Insert the tip of a pen or paper clip for a few seconds.
    Sometimes, that will eliminate wonky behavior.
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmit86 View Post
    Try resetting the unit. There is a recessed button "hole". Insert the tip of a pen or paper clip for a few seconds.
    Sometimes, that will eliminate wonky behavior.
    Wow, you learn something new every day!
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

wayles is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G90
    I live in S.E. Indiana
    Cars in my garage

I stopped by the dealer today and talked with the Genesis tech. They had never encountered a problem like this before and were a little baffled. The tech feels like it's a compatibility issue with my phone, just like a couple of you have suggested. He suggested that I un-pare my phone with the car, then re-pare it and see if the problem goes away. He feels like it's a software issue as opposed to a hardware issue. He also told me there were no new updates for my car but would let me know the minute one was issued.

They seemed genuinely concerned, just unsure of the cause. He said if it continued to bring it in and they would dig deeper into it.

Thanks again to all you offered help. I'll keep you updated.
    In my Genesis garage: 2017 Genesis G90

I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

Well fear not. It is probably your phone and the crappy Android update process. You are either too far behind or ahead.

The iPhone 7 plus is not with out glitches too. Try to watch video via Bluetooth and the sound does not match the video. Problem doesn't exist obviously when no video or if you connect via USB near the wireless charger.

BMW's was buggy too. iPhone displayed text and emails for about a year and then after an update, the functionality was lost with by a BMW update or an iPhone update.

It is a tough task for them to have it work with all phones and be cutting edge when not everyone follows the industry standards or tries to introduce the next best thing.

Try using your phone through the iPod connector and bet there are no issues.

Also I am not sure if you can still do this or not in Android, but you previously were able to turn certain things off within the Bluetooth connection profile.

Go into your Bluetooth Genesis connection settings and click on or off the available check marks one at a time. It is probably not the audio streaming or handsfree that is the issue.

It probably has to do with contact/data syncing if I had to guess.

I have done in depth troubleshooting on these issues with my HTC phone and iPhone on my BMW. It was always the data syncing that caused the Navitainment system to hiccup.

I live in S.E. Indiana
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Riley2323 View Post
    Well fear not. It is probably your phone and the crappy Android update process. You are either too far behind or ahead.

The iPhone 7 plus is not with out glitches too. Try to watch video via Bluetooth and the sound does not match the video. Problem doesn't exist obviously when no video or if you connect via USB near the wireless charger.

BMW's was buggy too. iPhone displayed text and emails for about a year and then after an update, the functionality was lost with by a BMW update or an iPhone update.

It is a tough task for them to have it work with all phones and be cutting edge when not everyone follows the industry standards or tries to introduce the next best thing.

Try using your phone through the iPod connector and bet there are no issues.

Also I am not sure if you can still do this or not in Android, but you previously were able to turn certain things off within the Bluetooth connection profile.

Go into your Bluetooth Genesis connection settings and click on or off the available check marks one at a time. It is probably not the audio streaming or handsfree that is the issue.

It probably has to do with contact/data syncing if I had to guess.

I have done in depth troubleshooting on these issues with my HTC phone and iPhone on my BMW. It was always the data syncing that caused the Navitainment system to hiccup.
    That's great info. Thanks.

I'll give it a try. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the problem seems to be sporatic, so it may take a while to hit on the answer. I'll keep after it and report back if I hit on the answer. I'm just thankful it appears to be a software glitch and not a hardware issue.

I live in S.E. Indiana
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    I was able to confirm tonight that my problem with the nav unit freezing is a compatibility issue with my phone. Everything has been fine for the last 1500 miles or so, but tonight the unit froze up again. I turned off the bluetooth on my phone and the system immediately re-set and everything was fine.

Riley2323,
    I went into the bluetooth settings on my phone, but I am not able to change the data syncing as you suggested. I guess I'll just have to live with it until both systems catch up to one another. As seldom as it happens, it's going to be a really hard problem to diagnose. Fortunately, it's not a major issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast