Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Genesis G80 Sport vs german
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    StarPower is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in South Carolina

Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    I have owned several German luxury cars, including Audi A6's and A8's.

I know no one here wants to hear this (after all this is a Genesis owners Website), so I'm preparing for lots opposition here. This is based on my personal experience after owning several high end (and not so high end) German cars, and having owned the Genesis for a year now.

The Genesis doesn't compare to current Audi and Mercedes offerings (not sure about BMW - I have never looked at those - but the Germans are typically pretty even).

- The tech is a generation behind (at least) - with the exception of the HUD, all the advanced technology on this car is at least a generation or two behind German offerings - especially the lane keep assist (LKA) and the Adaptive Cruse Control (ACC). They work, but barely, and are often unreliable.
    - The naturally aspirated engines are a generation behind, and thirsty as can be (19 mpg average on my 3.6 RWD). I have no idea what the 3.3T will do, but the Genesis is still very heavy and will probably continue to be thirsty.
    - The service experience is geared towards Hyundai Elantra buyers, not towards luxury car buyers. I have unfortunately had to experience this several times, since my car is frequently at the dealership for warranty repairs.
    - The advertised "America's Best Warranty" is unfortunately no more than a marketing slogan - this is based on personal experience. They try to downplay any issues that don't keep the car from actually driving (do a search about battery issues, sunroof issues, tire vibration issues, etc.). If you show them an issue, they claim it's "normal" - I have 30 years of car ownership, having a car wobble around the street on brand new tires (after 4 warranty visits they replaced all four tires with the same brand and model tires, which is known to cause issues), or having the car vibrate at idle like you have a Magic Wand stuck under each seat is "normal" only in a Genesis - the $16,000 Chevy Cruze rental car I had for four weeks while the dealer was trying to sort out issues with my car didn't exhibit vibration issues at idle or while driving.
    - You will deal with Hyundai sales people and Hyundai service personnel. They are used to haggling and dealing with Eleantra buyers (no offense to anyone owning an Elantra - I have two friends who drive them, they are decent cars), and are the furthest away from a "luxury" car ownership experience you can be. More on the level of KIA or Mitsubishi than Audi, Lexus, BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

I don't care about "image" - I drove Audi's back when people were still remembering the "unintended acceleration" lie perpetrated by "CBSs 60 Minutes" and though it was actually true. People (including my girlfriend) questioned my decision to get a Genesis, mainly because of the image issue. The issue to me is not the "image", the issue is that the genesis doesn't offer a luxury car experience. It just checks to boxes that Hyundai felt it needed to check in order to be competitive with the German brands (and Lexus) on paper. You are definitely not getting the same for $50,000 on a Hyundai Genesis (the 3.3T will likely be more) that you get for $65,000 on a German sports sedan.

Here are two quotes that I believe to be true, and will definitely put in the forefront of my mind when I get my next vehicle:

1. The Bitterness of Poor Quality remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

2. The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten.

All that said, there are plenty of happy owners here, and plenty of people who have had no issues with their vehicles. The fact seems to be, if you have an issue, you will not get an experience that resembles anything "luxury" at all. If you value your time and value the ownership erperience, I can say with certainty that Genesis is far from where they need to be. "Luxury" is more than slapping features on a vehicle and advertising it as a competitor to the Germans and Lexus ...

Is the Genesis a bad car? No - but if you're comparing it to a german sports sedan, it's doesn't hold up in my opinion.
    This echos my experience almost perfectly. I'm overall satisfied with the car, but that's because I got what I expected for a price I was willing to pay. I'm not as satisfied with the service experience. The local Hyundai dealer built a shine new waiting room with a fancy coffee machine, but the techs aren't used to dealing with higher-end vehicles or customers. The Mercedes dealer I used to use, on the other hand, always impressed me with their meticulous attention-to-detail.

Ultimately, you have to decide if the trade-offs are worth it to you. Build a midsize German with comparable equipment to the Genesis you're looking at and see what the price difference is. Personally, while I like my Genesis if I had to buy a new car right now I'd probably look at slightly used/CPO Germans.
    2015 Genesis RWD 5.0 Ultimate (USA)
    Empire State Gray/Ivory

pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida

I've had BMWs, although several years ago, so I can't compare my G80 to the current BMW models. But I suspect they are still high maintenance cars. I don't need a latte while my car is being serviced, so going to a Hyundai dealer for service is fine with me. Most Hyundai dealers have been servicing Genesis for years, so they are used to them and the owners. Having a car that is unique to other cars on the road is satisfying to me...means I didn't follow the crowd or go with the herd and get just another status car. The G80 is high tech enough for me. I don't need anything else to learn.
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

silberma is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Palm Beach, FL

I take issue with your opinions. As someone who owned several 5 series BMW's and having just road tested a new 2017 BMW 540 I can inform your misconceptions:

1. Consumers Reports rates the Genesis higher than the BMW
    2. Consumers Reports owners report that the Genesis is more reliable than the BMW
    3. If you test drive the BMW and Genesis you will discover the technology is just about to Par as the G80. Except on the BMW it is not standard and you will shell out thousands to get it.
    4. The Genesis naturally aspirated engines are not as efficient as the BMW turbocharged engines. however, they run on regular octane gas and develop as much horsepower. But because the gas is cheaper the advantage is lost here.
    5. Paying $15,000 more for a BMW to get nicer customer service is idiotic.
    6. The Genesis has tighter steering than the BMW. BMW is no longer the ultimate driving machine that it used to be. The Chinese market is where BMW sells most of their cars and the Chinese are more interested in a luxurious ride, not a sport ride.
    7. I rather pay $30 for an oil change on a Genesis vs. $210 for a BMW 5 series.

If you don't need to impress your neighbors, the Genesis is the ultimate unrecognized value in the luxury cars market.

mrich1353 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in York, PA

Members don't see this ad
    I've got to agree. Just came to Genesis after four BMW's. It was tough considering the change, but BMW not building cars as the ultimate driving machine any longer. G80 stacks up well and without the PIA BMW package pricing forcing unwanted options to build the car you want. I won't miss run-flats and never ending brake dust!
    Quote Originally Posted by silberma View Post
    I take issue with your opinions. As someone who owned several 5 series BMW's and having just road tested a new 2017 BMW 540 I can inform your misconceptions:

1. Consumers Reports rates the Genesis higher than the BMW
    2. Consumers Reports owners report that the Genesis is more reliable than the BMW
    3. If you test drive the BMW and Genesis you will discover the technology is just about to Par as the G80. Except on the BMW it is not standard and you will shell out thousands to get it.
    4. The Genesis naturally aspirated engines are not as efficient as the BMW turbocharged engines. however, they run on regular octane gas and develop as much horsepower. But because the gas is cheaper the advantage is lost here.
    5. Paying $15,000 more for a BMW to get nicer customer service is idiotic.
    6. The Genesis has tighter steering than the BMW. BMW is no longer the ultimate driving machine that it used to be. The Chinese market is where BMW sells most of their cars and the Chinese are more interested in a luxurious ride, not a sport ride.
    7. I rather pay $30 for an oil change on a Genesis vs. $210 for a BMW 5 series.

If you don't need to impress your neighbors, the Genesis is the ultimate unrecognized value in the luxury cars market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12