Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: G80 3.8L Shifting Issue While Accelerating
    onailrof is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80 V6 AWD
    Cars in my garage

Default G80 3.8L Shifting Issue While Accelerating

Members don't see this ad
    Had to bring the car in today - two times in the last couple of weeks, I've accelerated on an entrance ramp and the car did not accelerate. The tachometer moved to about 4000 -4500, but the transmission didn't shift, it just rev'ed. After a second to two, the car did shift into gear with a big jerk.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping it's just a sensor or a computer update.

balfor is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in CA
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: G80 3.8L Shifting Issue While Accelerating

I have heard of this particularly with the 2012 which was the first year of the in-house Hyundai designed trans. It seems to be an indicator that a new trans may be in your future from what I have read in past postings.

There do not seem to be many bad 2013+ transmissions, so it will be interesting if they actually replace yours.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by onailrof View Post
    Had to bring the car in today - two times in the last couple of weeks, I've accelerated on an entrance ramp and the car did not accelerate. The tachometer moved to about 4000 -4500, but the transmission didn't shift, it just rev'ed. After a second to two, the car did shift into gear with a big jerk.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping it's just a sensor or a computer update.
    It is not unusual, that if one tries to accelerate too quickly from a dead stop, that there is a delay due to transmission software that is designed to make sure the car does not spin out of control. I don't think this is unique to the Genesis. It may also be related to the AWD system.

But it is impossible for me to know exactly how quickly you tried to accelerate. Once you get moving a little bit, then the car should accelerate more quickly without any hesitation. A lot of times one can accelerate quite fast without any hesitation by not stomping on the gas peddle (apply the gas more smoothly to start out).

onailrof is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80 V6 AWD
    Cars in my garage

So, they didn't find anything. There were no diagnostic codes that came up and they couldn't reproduce the issue. They did reset the transmission "learning" module. The car will start re-learning my driving habits and hopefully it won't happen again. Fingers crossed..

AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by onailrof View Post
    So, they didn't find anything. There were no diagnostic codes that came up and they couldn't reproduce the issue. They did reset the transmission "learning" module. The car will start re-learning my driving habits and hopefully it won't happen again. Fingers crossed..
    I hope that actually fixes your issue.

The two favorite sentences uttered by service departments around the globe: "We couldn't reproduce the issue" and "there were no diagnostic codes". Which usually means, you either live with the issue or you come back to the service department multiple times wasting your time until you give up or they finally actually check what's wrong and confirm your findings. "Luxury" car experience ...
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    I hope that actually fixes your issue.

The two favorite sentences uttered by service departments around the globe: "We couldn't reproduce the issue" and "there were no diagnostic codes". Which usually means, you either live with the issue or you come back to the service department multiple times wasting your time until you give up or they finally actually check what's wrong and confirm your findings. "Luxury" car experience ...
    On this one, I am not sure it is the dealer's fault. Most people do not stomp on the gas from a dead stop, even when trying to accelerate quickly. I will admit that Hyundai could use better transmission launch control to automatically smooth that out.

Topster is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

My 2016 also has a problem at times. Step on gas and NOTHING. Car just bogs along. After 2-3 secs, it then shifts and accelerates. No fun when you must move quickly.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    On this one, I am not sure it is the dealer's fault. Most people do not stomp on the gas from a dead stop, even when trying to accelerate quickly. I will admit that Hyundai could use better transmission launch control to automatically smooth that out.
    Just to clarify, I didn't "stomp on the gas from a dead stop". Just pushed the pedal down to accelerate so I could merge into traffic.

Topster is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Have had the SAME PROBLEM with my 2016 Genesis. Step down on throttle and nothing happens. Car just bogs down. Had this happen from a stop and also when at low speeds, 15 or so and had to get moving. A couple of times it almost caused me to have an accident because guy behind me follow me. My car just bogged and he almost hit me from behind. And it happens at times when trying to merge into traffic. And it is not "stomping from a dead start". Between this problem which dealer can't seem to find any problem and the same BS with the roof rattle, this will be the LAST Hyundai I will own. Hyundai KNOWS it has a problem with roof rattle and does NOTHING.