Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: AC Compressor Leaking
    Hutch is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Pennsylvania
    I live in Pennsylvania

Default AC Compressor Leaking

Members don't see this ad
    My 2009 Genesis 3.8 AC stopped working last week, and was forced to drive the NJ Turnpike in a suit to a meeting with the sunroof/windows open. My local mechanic filled the refrigerant with the flourescent dye due determine the location of the leak. A week goes by, and the AC stops cooling again! Mechanic says the the compressor is leaking, and suggests taking it to the dealer.

Dealer charges $70 to assess the problem, even though I told them the compressor was leaking. By the way, he wants me to pay $35 for a "rental" car, which was filthy.

Lo and behold, the dealer says the compressor has a bad seal and I need to replace the compressor for $1180 parts and labor. I told him I'm seeing closer to $900 on the internet, so he says he can do it for $944, and he'll apply the $70 to the bill.

Can anyone offer any guidance on whether this is a known problem which should be covered by a warranty?

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: AC Compressor Leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    My 2009 Genesis 3.8 AC stopped working last week, and was forced to drive the NJ Turnpike in a suit to a meeting with the sunroof/windows open. My local mechanic filled the refrigerant with the flourescent dye due determine the location of the leak. A week goes by, and the AC stops cooling again! Mechanic says the the compressor is leaking, and suggests taking it to the dealer.

Dealer charges $70 to assess the problem, even though I told them the compressor was leaking. By the way, he wants me to pay $35 for a "rental" car, which was filthy.

Lo and behold, the dealer says the compressor has a bad seal and I need to replace the compressor for $1180 parts and labor. I told him I'm seeing closer to $900 on the internet, so he says he can do it for $944, and he'll apply the $70 to the bill.

Can anyone offer any guidance on whether this is a known problem which should be covered by a warranty?
    If the car is out of warranty, I don't see how it can be covered (and not part of the powertrain). I have not seen a lot of complaints about A/C failures for the Genesis on this forum, at least no more than other cars.

Ragnar is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan

Vehicle almost 8 yrs old and no extended warranty! Yep it's going to be on you!

Bill K is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Chicagoland

One of the reasons everything is covered on my car for 10 years 100,000 miles. If your navigation screen/audio system dies, you'll have a stroke.
    2013 Genesis V6 w/ Premium and Tech
    Black on Black with trunk badge and painted rear calipers. 6 LED 31mm festoons in glove & trunk.

2005 Elantra GT hatchback stick w/ 149,000 miles.

PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA

Members don't see this ad
    Come on, Hutch. You surely know by now that your Genesis is out of warranty for this repair. But why are you paying two different shops to repair it?

This repair is yet another example of why extended warranties are a good idea when keeping a car longer-term.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD