Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 2018 G80 Sports Have Hit The Dealers
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Florida Alan is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2018 G80 3.3T Sport

Default Re: 2018 G80 Sports Have Hit The Dealers

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by lobsenza View Post
    What does the G80 sport say in the owner's manual regarding regular and premium fuel?
    3.3 and 3.8 require 87 octane (regular) as stated in owner's manual.
    5.0 requires 91+ octane premium fuel.
    Traded: 2015 Genesis 3.8 sedan - Empire State Gray
    All 3 option packages
    For: 2018 Polar Ice G80 3.3T Sport

Saintt is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2G 5.0 Ultimate

The 5.0 can use 87 octane fuel but it makes less power than 91.
    So far...
    F1 Pinnacle 15 & Airblue 80
    Muffler delete
    SSA XCON 15, LC2i & RF T1500
    XPEL Ultimate
    Gtechniq Crystal Serum
    ARK GT-F springs
    ATQ subframe collars
    BC Forged HCA214S 20x9 square

lobsenza is offline Registered Member I live in Austin, TX

The 5.0 makes plenty of power on 87 octane.....
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

GenesisYEG is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate
    I live in Edmonton, Alberta

I got a bit of seat time with the G80 Sport. I have to say that I am very impressed with the vehicle -- it is truly is a great marriage of luxury and sport and easily the daily driver car I would purchase.

My thoughts:
    - Much better acceleration due to low end torque
    - Excellent engine note although the exhaust is quiet. I would modify the exhaust if I personally bought a G80 Sport.
    - Sport mode rocks and makes the car eager to go. I never use any other mode.
    - Suspension dampening in Sport mode is a huge upgrade over all previous G80s. It is stiff enough to provide great feedback while driving without breaking your back.
    - Very tight, flat handling. Corners really well for a big car and steering is tight and direct.
    - The smaller steering wheel is a huge plus
    - I wish the passenger seat had the thigh and side bolsters like the driver seat
    - Good stopping power with the bigger brakes
    - HUD is from the G90 and actually has slightly improved graphics over the version in the G90
    - The sound system is similar to the one in the G90 as it has QuantumLogic 7.1. It sounds fantastic and is much better than the standard 17-speaker Lexicon system in the vanilla G80s.
    - The information cluster runs at 60 fps so it is nice and smooth
    - The car uses regular fuel so save your money!
    - Car is governed at 240 km/h
    - I wish the car defaulted to the last driving mode you had the car set in. You have to press the drive mode button twice from normal mode to get to Sport mode.
    - I wish the car had another mode that held the gear you were in if you used paddles -- it automatically upshifts just before redline
    - The paddles are metal and not cheap-feeling
    - There are no seatbelt loops so an unused passenger seatbelt buckle will hit the B pillar
    - The sport seats are nicely bolstered and hold me well during hard corners. They are also very comfy on long drives.
    - I went on a 1.5 hour test drive in the back -- the back seats are comfy also.
    - The two-tone black/grey interior is amazing
    - The car gets a LOT of attention. The front end really makes this car look special.
    - White on grey is the combination to pick
    Last edited by GenesisYEG; 05-21-2017 at 02:28 AM.
    Currently Driving: 2018 Genesis G80 Sport AWD
    Previous: Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate AWD, Genesis G80 3.8 Tech AWD, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

saxplayer is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Missouri

Question for those who have test driven the g80 sport just released: how does this compare - in your opinion - to the Audi 2018 S5 Sportback?

Yes - first post for me here. I'm seriously considering the g80 sport vs the Audi s5 SB. However, I have driven both for about 1 hour each. Both are great cars. The g80 has more value for the money, but the engine.... man... so inferior to me. The g80 feels like a caddy that has power once you get the engine to engage... but it is most definitely NOT responsive and has a very heavy pedal.

This is all in comparison to the audi s5. So - others thought on the "sport" aspect of this vehicle? It obviously has power but it really isn't very sporty feeling. I am specifically interested in others who have driven the audi or possibly one of the newer MB e AMG series.

Thanks!

balfor is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in CA

Your feedback is interesting, you drove the G80 sport with the twin turbo? Because my experience was very different, I found the engine very responsive and "light" on its feet. The gas pedal seems easy to press as well? It had very good low end torque in my option. The transmission is also quite "smart" and shifts quickly. Did you try sport mode? Because that only increases the responsiveness and suspension firmness.

If you drove the base 3.8 v6 G80 then I could certainly understand some of your feedback. Disclaimer, I have not driven Audi since an A4 a couple of years ago--didn't find it that impressive at the time although I liked the inside.

I live in Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by balfor View Post
    Your feedback is interesting, you drove the G80 sport with the twin turbo? Because my experience was very different, I found the engine very responsive and "light" on its feet. The gas pedal seems easy to press as well? It had very good low end torque in my option. The transmission is also quite "smart" and shifts quickly. Did you try sport mode? Because that only increases the responsiveness and suspension firmness.

If you drove the base 3.8 v6 G80 then I could certainly understand some of your feedback. Disclaimer, I have not driven Audi since an A4 a couple of years ago--didn't find it that impressive at the time although I liked the inside.
    I waited until the g80 sport arrived on lot wrapped up! The dealer called me as I have been waiting. I drove that puppy in sport mode for 70 minutes - then I immediately went to Audi and drove the S5 sportback which I have also been anxiously awaiting. I could not believe the insanely different driving experience. The power was there in the g80, but only after you mashed the heavy pedal down. The car itself felt heavy and slow to respond - to me.

This is compared to the Audi. I'm wanting to know if anyone else has a similar experience? This has to be in an Audi 2018 S5 - either coupe or sportback (same engines).

Quote Originally Posted by saxplayer View Post
    Question for those who have test driven the g80 sport just released: how does this compare - in your opinion - to the Audi 2018 S5 Sportback?

Yes - first post for me here. I'm seriously considering the g80 sport vs the Audi s5 SB. However, I have driven both for about 1 hour each. Both are great cars. The g80 has more value for the money, but the engine.... man... so inferior to me. The g80 feels like a caddy that has power once you get the engine to engage... but it is most definitely NOT responsive and has a very heavy pedal.
    Inferior engine?? Let's see:

S5 Sportback: 3.0-liter single-turbo V-6 that makes 354 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 369 lb-ft of torque at a low 1370 rpm.

G80 Sport: 3.3-liter twin turbo that makes 365 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 376 lb-ft of torque at a low 1300 rpm.

Ummm... inferior?? Maybe you need to work out a little so you can press that accelerator. I've driven the G80 Sport and it is very responsive!

Of course, even with the comparable engine, the G80 Sport AWD has a curb weigh of 4,608 lbs versus 3,924 for the S5 Sportback - so do you really expect the G80 to feel as sporty as the S5 Sportback?

You are comparing apples to oranges here! The G80 sport is a MUCH bigger vehicle: it is 9.5 in longer and has a 7.3 in longer wheelbase than the S5 Sportback.
    Last edited by Nikgen; 05-21-2017 at 11:43 PM.

I live in Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Nikgen View Post

S5 Sportback: 3.0-liter single-turbo V-6 that makes 354 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 369 lb-ft of torque at a low 1370 rpm.

G80 Sport: 3.3-liter twin turbo that makes 365 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 376 lb-ft of torque at a low 1300 rpm.

Ummm... inferior?? Maybe you need to work out a little so you can press that accelerator. I've driven the G80 Sport and it is very responsive!

Same engines practically. Different weights (3850 vs 4519 lb). I noticed a massive difference. Have you driven the Audi S5 SB? If not - you can't help me much. I'm after someone who has. To me - the g80 was disappointing. The pedal was hard to push like a luxury car, not a sport car. The car (despite claims) had to be in the 2500 rpm range before the torque really kicked in. And the overall sportiness to me - was lacking. You may love it - congrats! I liked it a lot too. But not near as much as the Audi.

I'm hoping someone can chime in with similar drive experiences IF they drove the car I'm asking about. I want to see how others felt, not argue about this and that. I know my experience with the g80 sport. It was great, but not as good as the Audi for sure. However - it may be worth the $10k in savings to stay with the g80, esp with the better warranty. I however, want to hear other experiences of consumers - and someone in the market for a $58k car with Genesis - I'd imagine would be looking at some similar Audi and other vehicles. The Audi A6 doesn't compare to this car, I'm after the 2018 S5 coupe or sportback comparisons (B9 version)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nikgen View Post

Of course, even with the comparable engine, the G80 Sport AWD has a curb weigh of 4,608 lbs versus 3,924 for the S5 Sportback - so do you really expect the G80 to feel as sporty as the S5 Sportback?

You are comparing apples to oranges here! The G80 sport is a MUCH bigger vehicle: it is 9.5 in longer and has a 7.3 in longer wheelbase than the S5 Sportback.
    And I gotta love the "work out" quote. I'm not insulting the g80, it's a nice car. But my experience is as described. Heavy pedal. You don't think so? Fantastic. Thanks. Now please quit throwing insults for no reason, lol.

jailer is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by saxplayer View Post
    Same engines practically. Different weights (3850 vs 4519 lb). I noticed a massive difference. Have you driven the Audi S5 SB? If not - you can't help me much. I'm after someone who has. To me - the g80 was disappointing. The pedal was hard to push like a luxury car, not a sport car. The car (despite claims) had to be in the 2500 rpm range before the torque really kicked in. And the overall sportiness to me - was lacking. You may love it - congrats! I liked it a lot too. But not near as much as the Audi.
    l.
    Regarding the sluggish feel.. I would test drive a different G80 car... Something does'nt sound right about your feedback although not at all pointed at you.

Regarding comparing the Audi and Genesis.. why are you comparing two different class vehicles ?? You obviously DON'T want a G80 class of car. You want EITHER THE STINGER KIA... OR THE UPCOMING G70. Then you will be making proper comparisons.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast