Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 2010-2012 GC as a first car?
    speedlever is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2010 3.8 Track Tsukuba Red
    I live in North Carolina
    Cars in my garage

Default 2010-2012 GC as a first car?

Members don't see this ad
    My son wants a G1 GC with the 6 speed manual. We're considering 2010-2012 models. Would this be a good first car for an 18 year old?

How is maintenance on these cars? 2.0T vs 3.8V6? I normally do the oil changes, tire rotations, brake pads, etc... (routine mx). Are these cars maintenance friendly? Are there central jack points, front and rear so I can put it up on jackstands?

We've found a possible 2010 3.8V6 candidate. Any issues to know about? Are the 2.0T and the 3.8V6 reliable over the long haul?

Thanks much for your guidance!

speedlever is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2010 3.8 Track Tsukuba Red
    I live in North Carolina
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 2010-2012 GC as a first car?

Members don't see this ad
    We narrowed the search down to a couple of 3.8 coupes, a standard 3.8 with warranty and low miles and a 100k mile 3.8 Track. Today, we first looked at the Track and were impressed overall with it for the miles. We were going to look at the low mile base 3.8 but found it had sold the day before. So we went back and committed on the 2010 3.8 Track with 100k miles.

It's not in bad shape cosmetically but does need a few services done.
    1) spark plugs are over due
    2) coolant change is over due
    3) rear diff change is over due
    4) fuel air filter is over due (what the heck is this anyway?)

5) is there a manual tranny gearbox that needs to have the fluid changed?
    6) does the GC require Hyundai specific fluids (obviously not motor oil), but for the manual trans, rear diff, brake fluid, coolant?

I would do most of this myself except that I am not excited about having to remove the intake manifold to get to the passenger side plugs.

Is there a central lift point in the front and rear? I have a nice floor jack and 4 large jackstands I like to use to get a vehicle off the ground so I can work on tires/brakes, etc. But I'm concerned there is no way for me to use my floor tools to get this vehicle in the air.

So I may have the local Hyundai dealer do this initial work to bring it current on maintenance until I can figure out how to lift it and put it on my jackstands. It has had recent tires and new rotors all around. Not sure about any other services. Yet.