Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Made the jump. G80 Sport
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hotboi is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Looking for 2015-2017 Genesis
    I live in GA
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Made the jump. G80 Sport

Members don't see this ad
    Congrats on the new Genesis can't wait to see pics!
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai 5.0 ultimate

txvmax is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    Cars in my garage

I should have included more basic information and I'll try and answer the questions posted. I have the following:

2018 Genesis Sport - Drk Grey w/black interior.
    2 wheel drive not 4.
    The transmission seems more positive and shifts quickly and smooth.
    There is a noticeable difference in the suspension modes. Normal To Sport as well as Eco. In Sport the car kinda of tenses waiting on your right foot. Good damping and not jarring on highway and bumps. Also truthfully, it seems to be about 1/4 to a 1/3 more quite on highway. It does growl when you step into it and while not the 5.0 sound it's good.
    The shift paddels appear to be and feel aluminum. They do have an "edge" to them but not sharp...more cupped on the back.
    The alternate stereo setting do make a difference. It's noticeable.
    The copper tone to seats in th sun is fantastic. It just takes the car up one level but it's nice.
    As far as the 2,500$ rebate....they didn't say specifically but this is my 4th Genesis sedan so I'm not sure (loyalty program?). Salesman said this car has a 2,500$ rebate we can apply but not really discounting other than that. Please post any questions and I'll answer asap. The Sport is definitely worth the upgraded price. It's just one step above the G80 but it's a big step. I grew up in the 80's and this reminds of me of a four door modern very very nice Buck GNX. Stressing very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=akeelj;238534]
    Quote Originally Posted by jailer View Post
    Which engine did you drive and rwd or awd ?[/QUOTE

RWD, no need for an AWD in sunny SoCal
    It's RWD. Supposedly really hard to get awd in Texas

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by txvmax View Post
    There is a noticeable difference in the suspension modes. Normal To Sport as well as Eco. In Sport the car kinda of tenses waiting on your right foot. Good damping and not jarring on highway and bumps.
    Sport, Normal and Eco are drive modes - are you saying that the drive mode changes suspension settings? Is there a separate setting for the CDC suspension? If so, what modes are available? From the Genesis website, I was led to believe the CDC suspension was automatic and not tied to drive modes?

"SPORT CDC SUSPENSION
    During normal driving, the Continuous Damping Control system automatically adjusts damping force ensuring you superior ride comfort. Damping force is increased during aggressive driving for enhanced precision, stability and control."

I would also imagine that the overall suspension tuning is different that the standard G80's?

BTW - would love to see pictures of your Himalayan Gray G80 Sport in sunlight...
    Current: 2016 3.8 AWD Ultimate, Empire State Gray/Black - Build Date: June 15, 2015
    Previous: 2015 3.8 AWD Ultimate, Empire State Gray/Black - Build Date: May 07, 2014

jailer is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

Seats look badasss...... wonder if this thing can hang with v-sport, 540i etc......

jailer is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

To get a taste of what it's like behind this engine...... this is probably the best virtual experience as of right now. This dude is a M3 owner, bmw fanatic and car reviewer. He is in the heavier G90. THE WHOLE vid is pretty damnn good but PAY ATTENTION STARTING 16:40....... when he drives it. He gives good impressions of what it feels like.

GenesisYEG is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate
    I live in Edmonton, Alberta
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jailer View Post
    To get a taste of what it's like behind this engine...... this is probably the best virtual experience as of right now. This dude is a M3 owner, bmw fanatic and car reviewer. He is in the heavier G90. THE WHOLE vid is pretty damnn good but PAY ATTENTION STARTING 16:40....... when he drives it. He gives good impressions of what it feels like.

I've had extensive seat time with both engines in the G90 and I actually prefer the 3.3T. The 5.0 definitely sounds better and pulls a little better at high speeds but the 3.3T has a better powerband for daily driving and provides a much greater torque rush down low. I have no doubt in my mind the G80 Sport will be a much more fun and rewarding drive than the G80 5.0 (I will know for sure later this week).
    Currently Driving: 2018 Genesis G80 Sport AWD
    Previous: Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate AWD, Genesis G80 3.8 Tech AWD, Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

balfor is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in CA
    Cars in my garage

I just drove a G80 sport today on my lunch break, I currently have a '15 3.8 V6. The engine is the star of the show as far as the differences between the base 3.8 motor and the new 3.3t. The turbo engine is smoother, quieter, and just feels a lot more refined compared to the 3.8. I've not driven the 5.0 but I can imagine it is much closer to that level of refinement. I really liked the powertrain feel, the trans has also definitely been re-worked and now shifts faster and generally feels more seamless.

I also really like the interior and exterior design changes. They are not huge changes, but taken all together it is a nice update to the car. It just looks even better and builds on the already good style of the G80. The headliner and upgraded finishes are a nice touch, I liked the carbon fiber trim too. I also loved the electronic shifter, some people complain about these but I found it easier and just works better--simply press a button for park for instance.

I was most interested in the handling and unfortunately was not able to tell a big difference during my test drive which surprised me a bit. The suspension is a bit stiffer and cornering was flatter, but it was not dramatic in normal mode. In sport mode of course the suspension stiffens up so that was nice. The steering felt about the same between my car and the sport as far as feel, perhaps just a bit of different weighting to the steering wheel.

Overall a very nice update and I was extremely impressed with the new powertrain, it was better than I thought it would be going in. Now how to end my lease early and get one....LOL!

Midwestuser1 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by balfor View Post
    I just drove a G80 sport today on my lunch break, I currently have a '15 3.8 V6. The engine is the star of the show as far as the differences between the base 3.8 motor and the new 3.3t. The turbo engine is smoother, quieter, and just feels a lot more refined compared to the 3.8. I've not driven the 5.0 but I can imagine it is much closer to that level of refinement. I really liked the powertrain feel, the trans has also definitely been re-worked and now shifts faster and generally feels more seamless.

I also really like the interior and exterior design changes. They are not huge changes, but taken all together it is a nice update to the car. It just looks even better and builds on the already good style of the G80. The headliner and upgraded finishes are a nice touch, I liked the carbon fiber trim too. I also loved the electronic shifter, some people complain about these but I found it easier and just works better--simply press a button for park for instance.

I was most interested in the handling and unfortunately was not able to tell a big difference during my test drive which surprised me a bit. The suspension is a bit stiffer and cornering was flatter, but it was not dramatic in normal mode. In sport mode of course the suspension stiffens up so that was nice. The steering felt about the same between my car and the sport as far as feel, perhaps just a bit of different weighting to the steering wheel.

Overall a very nice update and I was extremely impressed with the new powertrain, it was better than I thought it would be going in. Now how to end my lease early and get one....LOL!
    Hi Balfor! I have the 2015 3.8 AWD Ultimate. Once you are within 3-4 month of your lease term ending you'll get a "pull ahead" program offer. I just got it and my lease end Sept. 1st 2017. The pull ahead program covers the last 3 payments (i.e. waives them), waives the $400 disposition fee. Thus you can get into a new one 3 months early.

Florida Alan is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2018 G80 3.3T Sport
    Cars in my garage

Bought a Sport yesterday, and pick it up tomorrow after the windows have been tinted.

Traded: 2015 Genesis 3.8 sedan - Empire State Gray
    All 3 option packages
    For: 2018 Polar Ice G80 3.3T Sport

armen212 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: G80 Sport polar ice
    I live in CA
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Glad to say I can join you buddy. I picked mine up today polar ice rwd for 629 a month with 2k drive off. 36/10k
    In my Genesis garage: 2018 GENESIS G80 SPORT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast