Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Breaking sunroof glass again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ed24 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Fairhope, Alabama

Default Breaking sunroof glass again

Members don't see this ad
    Yesterday the first glass panel next to the windshield shattered for the second time in less than a year.
    At more than $400 for each replacement, this is an expensive piece of bad design. In each case
    I could not identify any strikes to the glass. I don't understand using tempered glass or any glass at that location
    next to the windshield.

Has this been a problem for other owners?

I have a 2015 Ultimate model.

GarnetTy1473 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G90
    I live in Noblesville, IN

Default Re: Breaking sunroof glass again

I've only sold one of those pieces since the car has been out. We sell a lot of Genesis too. We sell as many as the rest of our district does combined. Sold that piece to a glass company, so I don't know the circumstances around the replacement, so doesn't sound like it's too common. The classification of that part, it's part of the 23% of slowest moving non-collision part sold. So it's not a hot seller nation wide either.
    John Nance, Parts Manager & G90 owner
    Terry Lee Hyundai/Genesis
    Noblesville, IN

Aquineas is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX

Luckily I haven't run into this, and it gets pretty warm in Texas.
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

For that to happen twice, I would have assume that the frame the glass sits in is racked. I would try and measure the diagonals of the frame and see if they are exactly equal. If not equal, I would ask for a warranty replacement of the whole thing.

dougmcp is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    For that to happen twice, I would have assume that the frame the glass sits in is racked. I would try and measure the diagonals of the frame and see if they are exactly equal. If not equal, I would ask for a warranty replacement of the whole thing.
    I agree with Mark_888. With tempered glass it's difficult to see if it was impacted because they usually shatter into a million pieces.
    It sounds like there's too much pressure somewhere when it's closed and the slightest impact will cause breakage.

waz is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Western North Cackalacky

"At more than $400 for each replacement, this is an expensive piece of bad design."

I hope your post didn't mean that you paid to fix this.

This is a warranty claim, and if your dealer's service department gives you any crap, mention the class action lawsuit against Hyundai for detonating sunroof glass: http://www.girardgibbs.com/hyundai-e...nroof-lawsuit/

While this lawsuit does not specifically mention the Genesis, this should gain their cooperation quickly.

The main sliding panel on my roof blew up in February and though the service writer tried to say he saw an impact mark (which was patently absurd since 1) most of the sunroof glass was either inside my car or left on the interstate, so how could he see an impact crater? 2) there were no other cars around me when it happened, and 3) there was no overpass for miles), the service manager stepped up and immediately said it would be covered by warranty.
    Currently drive/ride: 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate (Pamplona Red/Gray), 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT (Gray/Saddle), 1959 Ford F100, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 650

jmichalf is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Truckee, CA/Reno, NV

I have a 2015 3.8 HTrac Ultimate and Hyundai has replaced the entire roof twice now. It rattles and creaks when the car flexes. Very annoying. I really like this car, but I am fearful the roof is going to shatter while being operated. Hyundai (HMA) is now giving me grief about the car as I have asked them to take it back or replace. Attorney involved. Major lawsuit against Hyundai in California about Sonata and Veloster for this same issue. When the glass roof is removed, there is no support in roof of car. I work for a manufacturing firm and our engineers scanned my car to determine if they could find anything out of the ordinary and they believe a single spot weld is to blame for the defective roof. The structural rigidity of the car is compromised, whereby causing the car to rattle, the glass roof to creak, and ultimately causing the glass roof to fail. This is a major desaign flaw in this car and several other Hyundai vehicles.
    Last edited by jmichalf; 06-13-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Misspelled wording

I tried to get the first replacement covered under warranty, but the dealer would not even discuss it further. I paid for the first replacement and more than likely will have to pay for the second.
    The dealer sent me to their preferred shop to do the the replacement. I will dispose of the auto soon due to the prospect of continued occurrences with this stupid design problem. I now has about 28,000 miles on it.

I dropped off my car this morning at the glass shop for replacement of the first panel of the sunroof. They tell me that they are replacing an average of one
    per month at their shop. They say it is a terrible design because that panel is tempered glass that Hyundai used to face road debris on the same angle as
    the windshield. They don't understand why Hyundai doesn't replace the glass with a painted metal panel at that location.

glennk is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX

Members don't see this ad
    I wonder why Hyundai hasn't created a plastic deflector to put in front of the tempered glass panel?! If done correctly, it could seamlessly blend into the roof line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast