Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Tired of AC dirty sock smell
    aviator8 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!

Default Tired of AC dirty sock smell

Members don't see this ad
    I have read the threads on here about the ac mildew smell issues. Most dealers won't do anything about it unless you put up a huge fuss. I have tried the spraying Lysol in the intake box which worked fine in a previous car. The design of this fan just sends the spray against the side of the fan housing instead of down into the condenser and air box. It seems to me that if I can find a product that kills mildew on contact like Lysol but dispenses in more of a fog instead of particulate I could get enough over the condenser to neturalize this stench. Can anyone recommend any products? What has worked for you short of taking out the air box to clean? I hate bringing clients into my car. That initial dirty sock smell the first few mins is gross and kind of embarrassing.

Ragnar is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan

Default Re: Tired of AC dirty sock smell

Watching Motor week on PBS and on their Goss's Garage segment there was a great way of cleansing the HVAC System. Google Goss's Garage.the segments are there to view'

GenY is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2015 Genesis Sedan 5.0
    I live in So. California

i have this exact problem too.. and feel the same way about it.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

I wonder if this is fixed in the 2017 or upcoming 2018 G80 models?

I would not even consider a new Genesis with this HVAC smell problem (as well as the problem with noisy sunroof, vibration at idle, and frequently occurring glass problems on windshield or sunroof).

RyanB is online now Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Elmhurst, IL

Are your cars with the smell problem parking them outside at night? I ask since I keep my car in the garage at night but the wife parks her new Kia outside since she's afraid she or the kids will hit my car. Anyways her car has the same dirty sock smell for the first few minutes the AC is on but my car smells like new. I replaced her cabin filter and it still smells.

Seejay is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston

The first car mfr to put a UV light in the AC evaporator drain pan wins my heart. Luckily, I have a garage and it has cars in it.

Ragnar is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan

Think I'm lucky to be in Phx.Arizona with ultra low humidity 90% of the year.of course right now it's 110 degrees out 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Watching Motor week on PBS and on their Goss's Garage segment there was a great way of cleansing the HVAC System. Google Goss's Garage.the segments are there to view'
    Thanks, I watched that and that sounds like it might just work. Have any Genny owners tried this yet? If so where did you drill the hole for the access port. I am looking at the diagrams for the HVAC airbox and it is pretty buried behind the center console. How did you access it? If someone has done this can you post a picture of where you created an injection port? Also from what I understand this fills the airbox with a foam that coats all the surfaces. One video I watched from the company shows him injecting the foam while the fan is running. I would worry about that the blower would shoot foam out through my vents into the cabin. Any concern there?

Capture.JPG

In this image from the manual the blue circle shows where the heater element and evaporator coil are housed. The red line is the intake and blower with cabin air filter. This is where I have been trying unsuccessfully to spray Lysol. It's placement and design just do not allow it to be carried deep enough into the airbox to do any good..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Are your cars with the smell problem parking them outside at night? I ask since I keep my car in the garage at night but the wife parks her new Kia outside since she's afraid she or the kids will hit my car. Anyways her car has the same dirty sock smell for the first few minutes the AC is on but my car smells like new. I replaced her cabin filter and it still smells.
    Mine is parked in a carport.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    The first car mfr to put a UV light in the AC evaporator drain pan wins my heart. Luckily, I have a garage and it has cars in it.
    Bingo. super simple to do.

Members don't see this ad
    bump