Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Genesis-less, for now.
    Topojoe is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

Default Genesis-less, for now.

Members don't see this ad
    I believe I have decided it's time to finally purchase a Genesis R-Spec, I have been doing quite a bit of research on model years 2012-2015, I've looked into the cat and resonator deletes, it has all the features i'd want in a luxury car. Previously I have owned a 2006 Elantra, and a 2011 Sonata Limited 2.0...I believe I have found the perfect car, it's a 2012 with about 30k miles on it for about $20k, 2 owners, no accidents...I have read that the 2012 may have oil burn issues, was wondering if it's a serious issue. One of the first questions I will have is why the car has so few miles on it as well. Does anyone have any tips, advice...if I can't get this car, my backup is onto a newer Azera, but the videos on that 5.0 with the custom exhaust is just unreal...korean muscle car!

dhall57 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2013 Genesis Cabernet Red Pearl 3.8
    I live in North Carolina
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Genesis-less, for now.

I would stay away from the 2012 5.0, the early production models anyway. Many stories on this forum about this issue. Good luck with your search.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Cars in my garage

Here's the old thread.
    https://genesisowners.com/hyundai-ge...il+consumption

Not all the 5.0 engines had the problem, but many did and all the stories are documented in that 73 page long thread. I think they fixed it later in the 2012 model year, so if you have a later build date you might be at lower risk. I got my 4.6 also used because a) it was available in the color I wanted, b) I got it for a dynamite price, I didn't want to risk buying into the headaches of oil burn.

Take the VIN of the car to your local dealer, and ask the service writer to pull the full service history for you. If someone complained about oil burn and a dealer did a consumption test, it and the results of that test and subsequent actions taken will all be in there. They will also be able to tell you if there is sufficient service history so they will allow you to purchase an extended Hyundai protection plan warranty. Platinum highly recommended as it covers the radar cruise and head unit modules, both $3k+ replacement items, out to as long as you want to pay for. I just bought a Platinum HPP out to 12 years and 110,000 miles. And I sleep very well at night

Such a low mileage Rspec is certainly in the cream-puff category. Go for it!
    '12 4.6 Platinum/Black
    Retired: '09 4.6 Tech Titanium/Black

D_Rod625 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 5.0 R-Spec
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Owned my '12 Genesis R-spec for 6 months now. No oil issues. Only thing I can complain about is the Fuddy-Duddy transmission and the minor things....1 ventilated seat, clunky cheap NAV system.

I straight piped mine, deleted 2 cats, mufflers and resonators.

Sounds incredible. One trade off though...

The cabin drone is unbearable at 1800-2000 RPM. So I've decided once I find the time I am putting performance resonators back on for a quieter ride when I'm not feeling so savage. Other than that incredible car

Cars in my garage

Electric cutouts are the best way to go with the Genesis exhaust if you want it loud. Everything else I've read about has drone issues.

LIRspecSedan is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in long island, NY
    Cars in my garage

5000 mile oil change intervals, minimal oil loss. never an issue
    Harris
    2012 Titanium R-spec 5.0 waiting for a tune
    Vertini Dynasty Gunmetal 20x10.5, 20x9 with
    Bridgestone Potenze S04's 275/35/20 245/45/20
    R1 Concepts premier series cross drill/slotted rotors
    Winged KDM steering wheel and trunk badges
    Rear spoiler, tinted windows, red painted calipers
    MSA cat deletes, Magnaflow catback, R2C SRI.

OUsig is online now Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2013 RSpec
    I live in McKinney TX
    Cars in my garage

Get a 2013 or 14. I have 83000 miles on my 13 and honestly 0 oil burn. The navigation is also improved over the 2012.
    And you can get a 2013 for similar price...hold out in other words.
    2014 introduced more exterior colors.
    My car sounds great after adding the dynomax VT mufflers and also NO drone.

landtuna is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Sandstorm, AZ
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Topojoe View Post
    I believe I have decided it's time to finally purchase a Genesis R-Spec, I have been doing quite a bit of research on model years 2012-2015, I've looked into the cat and resonator deletes, it has all the features i'd want in a luxury car. Previously I have owned a 2006 Elantra, and a 2011 Sonata Limited 2.0...I believe I have found the perfect car, it's a 2012 with about 30k miles on it for about $20k, 2 owners, no accidents...I have read that the 2012 may have oil burn issues, was wondering if it's a serious issue. One of the first questions I will have is why the car has so few miles on it as well. Does anyone have any tips, advice...if I can't get this car, my backup is onto a newer Azera, but the videos on that 5.0 with the custom exhaust is just unreal...korean muscle car!
    My VIN (2012 R-spec) is: KMHGC4DH6CU199965 and has not had any problems at all so I think you would be safe if the build date is newer than mine. You could also contact a Hyundai dealer and ask for the service history to see if suffered from the oil issue.

I think I read the other day that the Azera has been discontinued so you make take a beating on resale if you buy one of these.
    Native of the Arizona desert (yes, it's a dry heat)
    Owns a 2012 Genny R-spec Silver & Black