Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Trademark filings hint at "GT" badge for Genesis coupes
    YEH is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in NYC/MD
    Cars in my garage

Default Trademark filings hint at "GT" badge for Genesis coupes

Members don't see this ad
    Viknesh Vijayenthiran
    Motor Authority

Genesis uses the letter “G” plus a number to denote its sedans, with the higher the number the higher the vehicle’s positioning. At the top of the current range is a G90. Below it sits a G80 and soon a G70 will arrive. Trademark filings with the United States Patent and Trademark Office show Genesis has reserved the G60 name as well.

Genesis indicated that its SUVs will use a “GV” and a number for their names with the reveal earlier this year of the GV80 concept, a mid-size SUV to rival the BMW X5 and Mercedes-Benz GLE. The “G” is for Genesis while the “V” is for the extra versatility of an SUV. A search of various trademark filings shows Genesis has reserved the GV60, GV70 and GV80 names, but curiously no GV90, suggesting we won’t see a Genesis SUV in the full-size category.

We know Genesis is also planning at least one coupe to help fill the void of the discontinued Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Genesis is yet to reveal its naming strategy for coupes but trademark fillings suggest the names will use a “GT” combined with a number, with the “T” here likely indicating the touring aspect of luxury coupes. Here, Genesis has reserved the GT60, GT70, GT80 and GT90 names.

So far Genesis has only confirmed it will have six distinct vehicles on sale by the end of 2020. The G90 and G80 sedans are already on sale and will be joined by the G70 small sedan later this year. According to a product roadmap that leaked in 2016, over the next three years Genesis will add a mid-size SUV, a small SUV and a small coupe. These three newcomers are likely to be a GV80, GV70 and GT70, respectively.
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...genesis-coupes

Not surprised about the trademark filings for a sub-entry level sedan and crossover, as they would be required if Hyundai is going to be serious about the Genesis brand in Europe and certain other markets (don't think Genesis will need 4 coupes).

Question is whether they will retain the RWD/AWD layout.

In addition to the planned 6 model lineup, Hyundai has indicated a halo GT for Genesis (GT90?), as well as PHEV or EV specific models.

Advocate225 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Philadelphia
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Trademark filings hint at "GT" badge for Genesis coupes

The market has been moving steadily towards crossovers with a declining interest in sedans. Coupes today have very little appeal and I'm not sure if a GT-90 (a Genesis ElDorado) as a halo will do much for the brand. The GV80 and GV70 can't come too soon.
    2009 Genesis 3.8 Premium Black/Black
    2017 Tucson AWD Ultimate White/Saddle

Genesis Motors is online now Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Cars in my garage

Maybe it would be better to think Genesis SL550 than Genesis Eldorado.

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Advocate225 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Philadelphia
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Seriously, if the idea is to have a "halo" vehicle, trying to have a SL550 type of car would bring memories of the Cadillac XLR which did nothing at all for Cadillac. A couple years ago I saw a show car from Cadillac, I think it was called something like CIEL, that would've been similar to El Dorado as a large two door. I think a GT90 that was more El Dorado or Mark VII would be more useful than a two seater --- BUT --- something more along the lines of a Escalade / Navigator would do a LOT more for the brand. Hyundai doesn't have the chassis for a direct competitor, but a full sized GV90 (and that name was not registered) would be far more desireable. Of course, Hyundai hasn't put me on the payroll, so I'm hoping that their executives have a clear idea of the future for the brand.