Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Key Fob Issue

Thread: Key Fob Issue

Default Key Fob Issue

Members don't see this ad
    New owner of a 2015 3.8 HTrac Ultimate Genny

So I go out to my car this morning. The mirrors don't fold open. I push the button to unlock the doors, nothing. Try using the buttons on the FOB, nothing. Try using the key on the trunk manually, set the alarm off, no clue how to get it to open, when i turned the key it seemed to try and closed the already closed trunk. Realize I need to learn how to use the manual keys on the door. found that answer reading here this morning. So i go in dig the second fob out of the safe. i walk up to the car and it works as expected. mirrors fold out, door button works. car starts. great. go back in finish getting ready come back out to the car, and the 2nd key fob is now doing the same thing. can start the car by placing the fob on the start button. did both of batteries die at the same time basically? never got a low battery warning for either one.

CanukV6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Beamsville Ontario

Default Re: Key Fob Issue

Unlikely that both batteries died at the same time, but probably worth replacing them if they are the originals. Likely an issue with the on-board remote interface.
    1st: 2009 3.8 V6, Cabernet/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 119,750km (74,850 miles).
    2nd: 2012 3.8 V6, Twilight Blue Pearl/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 105,000km (65,625 miles).
    Current: 2015 3.8 V6 HTRAC Casablanca White/Beige Two-Tone, with Luxury Package.

MagicRobert is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Republic of Texas

It is NOT unlikely that batteries in the fobs died at the same time. The battery in the fob I use all the time and the one in the fob that is hardly ever used died within days of each other. If the battery did die you should have been getting a warning on the dashboard when you shut off the car. Your problem does not soumd like batteries, but they are ridiculously cheap to replace, and that might be a good start to diagnosing the problem. BTW, my car began warning that the key fob batteries were low looooong before they were actually almost dead. I tested them after replacement. They were marginal, but still within spec.

No warning but replacing battery in 1 fob fixed it, i apparently didn't swap the fobs as i thought i did, so only 1 was dead, but i never got a low battery warning. good learning experience. now know that car starts with a dead battery in the fob, and how to manually open the door if fob battery die. also found the key card thread, very tempted.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffonce View Post
    No warning but replacing battery in 1 fob fixed it, i apparently didn't swap the fobs as i thought i did, so only 1 was dead, but i never got a low battery warning. good learning experience. now know that car starts with a dead battery in the fob, and how to manually open the door if fob battery die. also found the key card thread, very tempted.
    Be forewarned about the key card, whose battery has a shorter life than the key fob.

I just buy a bunch of batteries and leave a few in the glove box.