Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Genesis Motors to expand rapidly into multiple car, SUV segments
    Genesis Motors is offline Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida

Post Genesis Motors to expand rapidly into multiple car, SUV segments

Members don't see this ad
    It took Toyota’s Lexus Division nearly a decade to grow its modest product lineup into one that occupied a majority of segments where luxury consumers shopped.

But Genesis, the premium brand recently created by Hyundai Motor, is not being nearly as patient. In fact, its brash product plan could put established Japanese and German luxury marques on their heels.

According to internal company documents seen by Motor Trend, Genesis will have three sedans, three SUVs, a sports coupe, and a dedicated electric vehicle by the end of 2021. And that’s just for starters.

The G70 compact sedan, set to be unveiled in September in South Korea, will challenge the likes of the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class and go on sale in the U.S. in early 2018.

The GV80 midsize crossover, which was unveiled in concept form at this year’s New York auto show, will arrive in early 2019. It will be quickly followed by the GV70, based on the G70 platform. Read more...

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Genesis Motors to expand rapidly into multiple car, SUV segments

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Motors View Post
    According to internal company documents seen by Motor Trend, Genesis will have three sedans, three SUVs, a sports coupe, and a dedicated electric vehicle by the end of 2021. And that’s just for starters.
    That's not rapid in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Motors View Post
    It took Toyota’s Lexus Division nearly a decade to grow its modest product lineup into one that occupied a majority of segments where luxury consumers shopped.
    This is complete BS by the Motor Trend author. The Lexus LS and ES were both available at (or very near) the Lexus launch. These two were the bulk of their sales for many years, even as they added the RS and GS models later. SUV's came much later (just like with most other mainstream and luxury automakers).

BARRYW is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Delaware

The Lexus GX SUV came on the scene for the 1996 model year. Since the LS launched in late 89, it did take sometime for other vehicles to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRYW View Post
    The Lexus GX SUV came on the scene for the 1996 model year. Since the LS launched in late 89, it did take sometime for other vehicles to follow.
    There weren't a lot of SUV's from any automakers back in 1989. Those that did exist, were basically trucks (with an enclosed rear end). I understand the point, but I would bet a lot money that the Motor Trend author who wrote that story was not alive, or was in diapers back in 1989, and they just don't understand what the "SUV" market was back then.

Actually the first Lexus SUV was the LX in 1996, which was based almost exclusively on a Land Cruiser (a serious truck back then). The Lexus GX did not come until 2002. The original GX was based on the J120 platform (Land Cruiser Prado) .

The now very popular Lexus RX is based on a uni-body car (the ES).

The Toyota 4Runner, the first mainstream SUV sold in the US (the Land Cruisers were rare in the USA back then) was introduced in 1984 as a slight modification to the Toyota (Hilux) Pickup.

Today, the majority of Lexus sales are CUV's and SUV's, just like most brands. Acura is even more lopsided toward SUV's. The popularity of SUV's back in 1989 when Lexus brand started was minuscule compared to what it is today and when they did introduce SUV's. they were based on Toyota models.

Genesis is going to be hurting until they can get their SUV's to their dealers (apparently a couple more years). Having a completely different SUV design from Hyundai is admirable, but it is going to cost them IMO. The could have done a luxury Santa Fe for first generation, and then come up with something unique later.

BARRYW is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Delaware

Your right it was the LX and it was a 450, 4.5 Liter.

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRYW View Post
    Your right it was the LX and it was a 450, 4.5 Liter.
    And it was basically a truck, as all early SUV's were. And those SUV's were a very small part of the market back then.