Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Speedy design cycles goal for Hyundai's new studio
    YEH is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in NYC/MD

Default Speedy design cycles goal for Hyundai's new studio

Members don't see this ad
    August 12, 2017 @ 12:01 am
    Hans Greimel

HWASEONG, South Korea — Hyundai Motor Group employees pride themselves on a frenetic corporate cadence dubbed Hyundai Speed, a kind of pedal-to-the-metal obsession with doing everything fast. Real fast.

It usually applies to production and engineering. But now, the Hyundai brand and its Genesis luxury stablemate are aiming to halve their product design cycles, slashing the time it will take them to roll out full model changes. It's a bid to respond more quickly to changing trends and keep products fresh in an increasingly competitive market.

And it just may be the most audacious application of Hyundai Speed yet.

Luc Donckerwolke, senior vice president of design at Hyundai and Genesis, wants to slash the time it takes from the start of drawings to start of production from around three years today to as little as a year and a half. The speed-up is about to get rolling with the opening of a massive design studio at Hyundai's sprawling Namyang R&D Center here, south of Seoul.

"As life cycles get shorter, they will get drastically shorter," Donckerwolke said after a tour of the new facility last month. "I have no doubt design can be shortened by half."

Donckerwolke predicted that, with the help of the new studio, his styling team can shave 30 percent off the typical design cycle in the next year and a half or so.

Work ahead

The gambit comes at a critical time as both Hyundai and Genesis embark on a new design language. At Hyundai, the fresh look will debut in the upcoming Kona compact crossover. At Genesis, it will take shape in the G70 sports sedan being unveiled in September and enter full bloom with the G80 sedan model change scheduled before 2020.

Speeding model changes is key to staying competitive as old guard auto giants such as Hyundai feel the heat from more nimble rivals, including Waymo and Apple from the fast-paced technology sector or electric car hopefuls such as Tesla and upstarts from China.

"This shows the commitment of the brands to leading by design," said Lee SangYup, vice president for design at Hyundai and Genesis. "We needed a more streamlined process."

When Automotive News​ visited the modern, window-lit studio, it was devoid of furniture and populated by dusty workers scurrying to add finishing touches. The design center is for Hyundai and Genesis; partner brand Kia has a separate facility at Namyang. Hyundai channeled $67 million into the center, which boasts design studios, expansive presentation spaces and copious clay modeling and 3D-printing capacity. The three largest 3D printers will be big enough to churn out half a car each, Lee said.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...-design-cycles

We are already seeing fruits of this - a new G80 slated before 2020 and a new G90 around 2021 (so basically a short 4 year life-cycle).

The G70 will be the 1st of the new Genesis models - but that's more w/ regard to the engineering (being more sport-oriented).

The G70's design was already frozen by the time of the Genesis New York concept which is supposed to be the basis for the design language for the next gen of Genesis models.

YEH is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in NYC/MD

Default Re: Speedy design cycles goal for Hyundai's new studio

Members don't see this ad
    Note - not really a 4 yr MY life-cycle, as both models went into production in Korea a good bit earlier before they hit dealers here, but nonetheless, a bit earlier than the norm.