Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 4.6 alternator tutorial ???
    dmulc is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

Default 4.6 alternator tutorial ???

Members don't see this ad
    Can anyone provide a "how to" for changing an alternator on a '09 sedan with a 4.6? I'm helping my son next weekend and can't find any info on it.
    Thanks

homeofstone is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Athens, Georgia, USA

Default Re: 4.6 alternator tutorial ???

I don't think many have failed. Be careful that you replace it with a reman OEM or new OEM . I think it is a 150 amp alternator. Do not us a lower amp. The car has a lot of electronics to power.
    Current vehicles:
    2011 4.6 with tech, traded this great car
    2017 Toyota Highlander limited Plat. replaced Genny
    2011 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
    2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4WD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored

dmulc is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

I got it done and it wasn't as bad as it looks. Took about 2 hours. The alternator has to be unbolted from the bracket and then the bracket unbolted from the engine. The alternator and bracket can then be lowered and removed through the bottom of the car. I took a couple pics of the bracket. The first two 14mm bolts are easy to see (from under the car). The 3rd and 4th are concealed by the alternator. The alternator needs to be moved forward towards the radiator to get at them.
    (Not pictured - there is also a 12mm bolt on the front of the bracket- towards the radiator)

20171020_143751.jpg

20171020_145133.jpg

66nexus is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan

Good pics. Curious, did you end up using an OEM or aftermarket unit? Mine is in the shop now for the same problem, dealer told me it would take several days to get an OEM unit, so I might have no choice but to use an aftermarket one supplied by my indy mechanic.

2010 4.6 Tech

84FM Brembo coupe swap
    R2C intake
    Dynamax VT mufflers
    12-14 side skirts
    Coupe track wheels
    12-14 oem led headlights/tinted tail lights
    Steering wing logo
    Myride vers. 1 lip

I put in a new OEM from Hyundai. It was $341 delivered to my home in 2 days.

Nice price, my dealer wanted $429 (I'm definitely trying to get it online next time; by then I'm more than certain I'll have a garage toy I can use as a backup).

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
    Nice price, my dealer wanted $429 (I'm definitely trying to get it online next time; by then I'm more than certain I'll have a garage toy I can use as a backup).
    Good idea. Those online sites are run by Hyundai Dealers and sell the exact same OEM parts.

Ambush is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Carolinas

Could we not go ahead and put in an aftermarket HI Output car audio one? If I pay that much again for an alternator (I JUST put in an OEM Honda Accord in my 08 accord for that PRICE) I think that is the route I go!
    HI Output Alt
    Now the site does not have our car BUT I think the Mustang 3.8 has the same structure as ours. For the price of a 150 OEM one why not get a 240 AMP for the same price??? Would it hurt us?
    2012 Satin White 3.8 Premium Sedan Pearl/Saddle: Premium
    Brake Motive CDS Rotors/Power Stop Pads
    BC Sports BR Type Coil-overs (to be installed)
    Rigid Collars (to be installed)
    Niche Form M158 20x8.5 (245/40/20) + 20x10.5 (275/35/20) - Bronze
    Delinte Thunder D7 tires (smooth ride)
    j2vinylworks.com - Avery Hood wrap/ 3M Roof Wrap

The mount is different than the one in your link.

Here's a quick pic of what ours looks like...
    11022_ANG.jpg

Ambush is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Carolinas

Thanks for the pic. Maybe I can reach out to check the availability and maybe make a sticky.

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Good idea. Those online sites are run by Hyundai Dealers and sell the exact same OEM parts.
    And that's what is crazy about it too, there was over $100 difference between online and my dealer! Same part!