Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Pick One: 4.8L w/o oil leak or 5.0L leak of 1qt every 3K miles
    szollinger is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: UT
    I live in UT

Default Pick One: 4.6L w/o oil leak or 5.0L leak of 1qt every 3K miles

Members don't see this ad
    Given that prices are equal, and you were buying a used 2012 model, and they were equal in features and mileage but one was the 5.0L with a known oil consumption of 1 qt. every 3k miles, and the other was a 4.6L w/o any oil leaks, which one would you choose and why?

For full disclosure I recently bought the used 5.0L, and love it so far, but I am curious about my choice.
    Last edited by szollinger; 10-10-2017 at 10:05 AM.

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA

Default Re: Pick One: 4.8L w/o oil leak or 5.0L leak of 1qt every 3K miles

Why pick, you've already committed.
    The 5.0 consumption is a known issue on some 2012's. I don't see it as a real concern other than knowing this is a hit or miss issue for Hyundai I would question some of their quality control.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

The 5.0 was new for model year 2012, with a new GDI design and increased displacement over the previous 4.6 EFI design. Just the fact that the 5.0 was not available at the beginning of the 2012 model year, but added later during the model year, suggests that Hyundai had some problems getting the 5.0 completed on time, and they were likely under a lot of pressure to get it finished. In those kinds of circumstances it is more likely that there will be problems.

The Hyundai 8-speed transmission was also new for 2012, and they had above average number of problems with those also.

Gunkk is offline Registered Member I live in Florida

Members don't see this ad
    You should have bought the 4.6. The 4.6 Tau is a bulletproof engine, and no GDI hassles. Too many issues with the 5.0's in 2012. Good luck.
    '12 4.6 Platinum/Black
    Retired: '09 4.6 Tech Titanium/Black