Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Primacy 3 vs Primacy MXM4
    Robfmhs is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Primacy 3 vs Primacy MXM4

Members don't see this ad
    Hello everyone,

I'm close to purchasing new tires and currently have the MXM4's on my g80. Has anyone purchased the Primacy 3's as a replacement to the MXM4's? If so, what has your experience been? I live in Texas and am not too worried about the Primacy 3 being a summer tire. Michelin recommends both tires for this car.

I appreciate in advance any feedback you have.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Primacy 3 vs Primacy MXM4

Texas is a big state, and it does freeze and snow sometimes in many parts of Texas. So long as you don't drive it when temps are anywhere near freezing, the Primacy 3 Summer Tire should be a very good tire, probably better than a general purpose tire designed for both warm and cold weather conditions.

The MXM4 designation is used on more than one Michelin tire, such as Pilot MXM4, Primacy MXM4, etc. So which ones are you looking at?

Robfmhs is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in North Texas and infrequently does it approach freezing. I am looking at the OEM Primacy MXM4 vs. the Primacy 3. Again, I very much appreciate your feedback.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Robfmhs View Post
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in North Texas and infrequently does it approach freezing. I am looking at the OEM Primacy MXM4 vs. the Primacy 3. Again, I very much appreciate your feedback.
    I lived in DFW area once, and even though freezing temps are infrequent, they do happen. Remember the ice storm during the Super Bowl week?

If you do get summer tires, you just have to understand that they cannot be driven on ice or snow at any time, even infrequently.

Great points, thanks again Mark.

glennk is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX

Living in NTX as well. You can pull off 3 season tires just as long as you are careful during the winter storms. I'm a fan of Michelin/BF Goodrich. I plan to get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Shop around and I think you'll find Discount Tire has the best deals (along with 6 months to pay on their credit card)

lobsenza is offline Registered Member I live in Austin, TX

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and recommend them over the other 2. I have had the A/S 3s on another vehicle as well and am happy with them.
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by lobsenza View Post
    I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and recommend them over the other 2. I have had the A/S 3s on another vehicle as well and am happy with them.
    The only Michelins I would put on a Genesis sedan.
    I barely got 21k out of the OEM Primacy MXM4 tires that came with the car. Sloppy handling, bad braking performance, yech.

glennk is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    The only Michelins I would put on a Genesis sedan.
    I barely got 21k out of the OEM Primacy MXM4 tires that came with the car. Sloppy handling, bad braking performance, yech.
    Were they better than the Continental's?

Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by glennk View Post
    Were they better than the Continental's?
    I didn't have the Continentals. My car came with the Primacy MXM4s. I replaced the MXM4 with the Yokohama YK740 GTX, a tire I am happy with, well priced, particularly good at handling and braking this heavy car, but cannot make a blanket recommendation for them (They degrade the ride slightly with the stiff sidewalls.)

Nardly is offline Hasn't posted much yet...

Members don't see this ad
    How is the ride and noise with the Pilot Sport A/S3 compared to the MXM4s