Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Car bad odor anybody else experience this
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Car bad odor anybody else experience this

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky61 View Post
    What problem Mark? There's no problem unless you own a 2012 Hyundai Genesis. The only thing you've said here that makes any sense is; "Maybe it has been fixed in 2018 models, I don't really know."

- - - Updated - - -

It's a bunch of crap. One of the individual you're listening to, complains about everything he can and owns a 2012 Gen 1 Hyundai Genesis. Wouldn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to newer models. The rest are just complaining about a perceived or lack of owner maintenance issue.

As has already been stated, check the carpet, yes smell it with your nose. If it's been shampooed or gotten wet in the past and not allowed to dry out correctly it will smell. Any auto carpet will smell musty if it's not taken care of properly. If the car is set on recirculate, it will just be circulating the cabin air which is already musty. Use some commons sense. You'll need to have it cleaned, sanitized and Scotch Guarded. One other thing to check before purchase is; was it ever in a flood or had flood damage just over the floor boards.
    I am not sure if you are referring to me, but I don't own a 2012 Genesis. None of the first generation Genesis (2009-2014) has the mildew/mold problem, based on comments from members in this forum.

On the other hand, there have been hundreds of complaints on this forum about the order problem in the order in the HVAC system of the second generation Genesis.

Mcc is online now Supporting Member What I drive: 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
    I live in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    I am not sure if you are referring to me, but I don't own a 2012 Genesis. None of the first generation Genesis (2009-2014) has the mildew/mold problem, based on comments from members in this forum.

On the other hand, there have been hundreds of complaints on this forum about the order problem in the order in the HVAC system of the second generation Genesis.
    Mark_888 while there “may” be hundreds of posts, I don’t think there are hundreds of individual posters. Because of the way the search is done on this site it hard to know. So I am assuming that it is just your guess that hundreds of individuals have complained about this issue. You say it with such conviction like you actually know this for a fact and can support your assertion.

JohnS is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G-Genesis - Ulimate/Technology/AWD packages
    I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania

The problem is a poor design of the interior air handling system. There are two radiator like (heat/cooling) exchangers which live in a totally inaccessible assembly in the middle of the dash. Tight against the firewall. They become contaminated with mildew and or mold. That is the smell, and it can be embarrassing unpleasant not just to the owners, but their unsuspecting passengers as well.
    First the good news. It can be sanitized which completely removes the problem. COMPLETELY!
    The bad news. I had to do it myself. As far as I know, the dealer has not been given any guidance on the issue.
    How is it corrected?
    With several cans of "AC odor eliminator". I purchased mine from Napa .https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7653141 Cost is $10.99 each as of this posting. I used 3 cans (they're not very big)
    The product kills the organisms and it doesn't require rinsing as most household mold/mildew cleaners do.
    The first can I injected alongside the air conditioner evaporator coil. To access that coil. I had to remove the glove compartment assembly. They using a dremel tool, I made a dime size hole at a calculated point in the "Air handler assembly" I mentioned at the start of the post. That allowed me to snake the long tube that comes with the product, right up next to the evaporator coil. I discharged the whole can. The foam gets into all the nooks and cranny's of the coil and its surrounding housing. I waited for the foam to totally liquefy and run off down the drain in the assembly which is for condensate run off. I then put a small piece of heavy tape over the hole, and reassembled the glove box. All this was step 1. It removed about 70% of the odor.
    Step 2 was to do the same to the heater coil. Don't ask me why moisture loving mildew and mold get on a dry heater coil, but in this this design...it does.
    Anyway, this part is much easier. There is a "drain" located under the car, passengers side. It is where the evaporator coil drain and heater drain discharge. They connect together under the dash board and exit as one hose under the car.
    All you need to do here is snake the long lose that comes with the product, up as far as you can. Then pinch the drain hose tight against the product hose so the foam can only go in one direction. Up into the coil area.
    I injected 2 cans in this area.
    Because of the way the hose splits, very little will go toward the air conditioner evaporator. That why I did that coil separately. (90%) will go to the heater coil and the housing around it.
    I waited several hours, then ran the fan on max to move any remaining product through the duct work.
    It's been several months and the smell is still completely gone.
    Since I wasn't sure it would work, I didn't take photos. But if there is enough interest, I would take the glove box apart again to show everyone where EXACTLY to drill the dime size hole. The drain under the car is easily visible, if you know where to look and what it looks like.

This wasn't a "cross your fingers" attempt.
    I did a bunch of research on how Genesis designed the Air Handling System in this car. I found pictures of the assembly, and pictures of it parts/components. I was able to calculate precisely where these stinky coils where, and confirmed it by snaking a endoscope camera in where I had drilled my access hole. I could clearly see the air conditioner coil on my laptop. I taped the endoscope camera to the product injector hose, and guided it precisely where It needed to be. When I injected the foam product, I could see it on the Laptop screen via the endoscope camera. These USB endoscope cameras cost less than $20.00 on ebay.

jimmy buoy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 H-Track Ultimate
    I live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

John, I'd be interested in the location to cut that little dime sized hole. Sounds like a well researched and thought out solution to an annoying problem! Photos please.

sparrk is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in San Francisco bayarea

I have same order issue on my 2016 3.8 and it has been through the dealer twice. The 1st time, they did some spray to clear mushy smell. the second time, nothing happened from dealer side. This is very annoying for the first few mins.

JohnS, if you could provide details, with some pictures, that would be great.

POG is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Austin, TX

Wow, very impressive. Since it sounds like a design issue, won't this process need to be done again in the future? I hate the smell but I don't think I have the guts to be drilling holes in my car and spraying things into them

EdP is offline Supporting Member What I drive: G80 AWD Ultimate Adriatic Blue
    I live in CT

Quote Originally Posted by POG View Post
    Wow, very impressive. Since it sounds like a design issue, won't this process need to be done again in the future? I hate the smell but I don't think I have the guts to be drilling holes in my car and spraying things into them

the cure may have some preventative effect too. It seems to happen more in the southern, more humid regions. It is also possible, from what I've read, to just spray in the intake but that may not be as effective.

mfaile is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2015 Ultimate 5.0

I've unfortunately dealt with this awful smell all year in my 2015 5.0 Ultimate. The summers are bad and the smell is embarrassing. I've used a couple of mildew removers to small success but the odor comes right back after a week or so. I guess I'm not getting down deep enough to kill all the mildew. I would very much appreciate a pic of where you drilled the air handler.
    2015 Hyunday Genesis 5.0 Ultimate Pkg,
    Pamplano Red
    Rewired LED DRL's
    New Gen G80 Key Fob\

Quote Originally Posted by Mcc View Post
    Mark_888 while there “may” be hundreds of posts, I don’t think there are hundreds of individual posters. Because of the way the search is done on this site it hard to know. So I am assuming that it is just your guess that hundreds of individuals have complained about this issue. You say it with such conviction like you actually know this for a fact and can support your assertion.
    No, there are thousands of posts, and over a hundred who have posted, and many thousands who have also been affected but not posted (or not members of this forum).

Denial is not a river in Africa. The problem is pervasive due to a design defect (dealers know about this and can only spray disinfectant spray in the HVAC vents). Not everyone is affected, only because of environmental (weather) conditions in their area are not conducive to mold or mildew, or because some don't have very good sense of smell, or some are in denial.

Mcc is online now Supporting Member What I drive: 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
    I live in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    No, there are thousands of posts, and over a hundred who have posted, and many thousands who have also been affected but not posted (or not members of this forum).

Denial is not a river in Africa. The problem is pervasive due to a design defect (dealers know about this and can only spray disinfectant spray in the HVAC vents). Not everyone is affected, only because of environmental (weather) conditions in their area are not conducive to mold or mildew, or because some don't have very good sense of smell, or some are in denial.
    You are not comprehending what I wrote. I am sure there are a thousand posts but most are multiple posts by the same folks. How many INDIVIDUAL people have posted. Not a thousand I bet

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcc View Post
    You are not comprehending what I wrote. I am sure there are a thousand posts but most are multiple posts by the same folks. How many INDIVIDUAL people have posted. Not a thousand I bet
    I understand exactly what you said. More than a hundred individual posters across multiple threads since 2015 MY.

As mfaile said above, it is embarrassing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12