Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Car bad odor anybody else experience this

Default Car bad odor anybody else experience this

Members don't see this ad
    Hello

I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 awd I sometimes get a terrible odor in my car after hours of all windows rolled up and I get into my car and it smells like mildew or burp or just straight up bad breath at times. Could anybody tell me what's causing that horrible smell. And how do I get rid of it without just adding a air freshener.

THANK you

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Car bad odor anybody else experience this

There have been several threads, and many posts on this subject. You should be able to find them fairly easily with Google search, or the forum search facility.

PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA

Do some Web searching on ozone generators. Ask your dealer too. I had a former car treated by the dealer circa '09 and it seemed to help. They use this equipment to cleanse used car interiors before resale.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD

Nikgen is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by youngforever View Post
    Hello

I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 awd I sometimes get a terrible odor in my car after hours of all windows rolled up and I get into my car and it smells like mildew or burp or just straight up bad breath at times. Could anybody tell me what's causing that horrible smell. And how do I get rid of it without just adding a air freshener.

THANK you
    It likely is mildew from moisture pooling somewhere in the ventilation system. I believe that it is likely yet another design defect in this vehicle. I had it bad in my 2015 during the 2nd summer that I had the car and took it back to the dealer - service record said they "sanitized/deodorized" and It seemed OK after that. I only had the car for 6 more months before it was replaced so not sure if it was a permanent fix.

My 2016 only went through 1 summer and did not develop the smell. That vehicle was at the dealer all summer this year, so not sure if It would have developed the smell or if they had changed the design to address the issue for 2016.

I appreciate the reply I don't get the smell all the times but when I do it definitely lingers unfortunately. I kinda wish I would've done more research on the 15 models compared to the rest of the newer years.

MikeyTG is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 V6
    I live in Joisey

One easy try would be to change the cabin air filter. It is behind the glove box and instructions can be found via google. They can be had from the dealer or via Amazon, there are even some available with activated carbon which will tend to remove smells.

darammer is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
    I live in SFV - LA, CA

+1 on the cabin air filter. I bought mine Certified and it had that same smell. I took it back and made them fix it. Much better now!
    Rami

15 Genesis - 3.8L Technology Package
    Santiago Silver/Black

masont is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
    I live in Maryland

I ordered a new cabin air filter with activated carbon and so far it seems to have alleviated the issue.

waz is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Western North Cackalacky

Members don't see this ad
    Make sure to have recirculate off when you park the car.

On my '15, the fresh air/ recirculate stays in whatever mode it was in when I shut the car off, and I get a musty smell if it starts blowing recirculated air upon start up.

I could be mistaken, but I think most cars reset to fresh air when they're started.
    Currently drive/ride: 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate (Pamplona Red/Gray), 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT (Gray/Saddle), 1959 Ford F100 (rust/mouse turds), 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 650