Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Buying a used Hyundai Genesis? Are there any Canadian Genesis owners here?
    ThoughtfulOne is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!

Default Buying a used Hyundai Genesis? Are there any Canadian Genesis owners here?

Members don't see this ad
    I am thinking about buying a used Genesis and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of buying one.

I do see a few for sale where I live in Canada.

Car 1:
    1. Currently $20,000 CAD (about $16000 USD)
    2. 2013 Genesis Technology Package
    3. Mileage is about 38,600 km (so about 24,200 miles)

Car 2:
    1. Currently $20,000 CAD (about $16000 USD)
    2. 2012 Genesis R-Spec (worried about this one, because it might be one of the models that "eats" oil)
    3. Mileage is about 87,300 km (so about 55,000 miles)

There are a few other Genesis listings and some private listings too. Car 1 according to Auto Trader is a "good price" for the money.

I'm have a few questions:

1. Assuming you have good winter tires, how well does this rear wheel drive car handle in the snow?
    2. How hard is it to get spare parts? Would they have to be shipped over from Korea? This is not a "common" car, so I'm really wondering about this.
    3. How much experience do North American dealerships have with working on the Genesis? Is it only the ones in the major cities?
    4. Has your Genesis withstood the test of time? I looked in the high mileage club and it seems pretty good.
    5. If you purchased a Genesis used, did you have the opportunity to get an extended warranty?

I would be very interested in hearing the experiences of other Canadians and the Genesis.

I am also very excited to be possibly a future Genesis owner.

Delphunkey is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Whitby, ON

Default Re: Buying a used Hyundai Genesis? Are there any Canadian Genesis owners here?

I can give you info from my perspective. I own a 2009 3.8 since 2008. I'm in Durham.

1. Winter tires are a must, I'm running Nokian, Hakkapeliitta's which are excellent in the winter. You may have a little trouble if you are stopped on a steep iced hill, as would all RWD cars.
    2. I've only had work done at the dealer and they have not had issues getting parts. You may have to wait a day or two as the part may not be onsite, but I've always had my car back by the end of the day.
    3. I've had no issues with my dealership and they have handled every issue with professionalism.
    4. I'm almost at 300k kms on my car, the two biggest issues were the reverse camera when out about 3 years ago and once in a blue moon I get an electrical glitch which is usually corrected upon a restart.
    5. Not applicable to me as I'm still the original owner.

One other issue, which has nothing to do with the dealer, is that a 5-year-old repaired fender bender is now starting to rust and will not be honored by the paint protection service as it was a repainted part. Other than this my car looks and drives excellent and I feel I got my value out of it.

ThoughtfulOne is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!

Default Re: Buying a used Hyundai Genesis? Are there any Canadian Genesis owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by Delphunkey View Post
    I can give you info from my perspective. I own a 2009 3.8 since 2008. I'm in Durham.

1. Winter tires are a must, I'm running Nokian, Hakkapeliitta's which are excellent in the winter. You may have a little trouble if you are stopped on a steep iced hill, as would all RWD cars.
    2. I've only had work done at the dealer and they have not had issues getting parts. You may have to wait a day or two as the part may not be onsite, but I've always had my car back by the end of the day.
    3. I've had no issues with my dealership and they have handled every issue with professionalism.
    4. I'm almost at 300k kms on my car, the two biggest issues were the reverse camera when out about 3 years ago and once in a blue moon I get an electrical glitch which is usually corrected upon a restart.
    5. Not applicable to me as I'm still the original owner.

One other issue, which has nothing to do with the dealer, is that a 5-year-old repaired fender bender is now starting to rust and will not be honored by the paint protection service as it was a repainted part. Other than this my car looks and drives excellent and I feel I got my value out of it.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to carefully consider my choice of winter tires. If spare parts is not an issue, then there is a big incentive to buy this car.

Reliability seems to be decent right now. I considered another full sized car (Buick Lacrosse or Chevy Impala), Ford/Lincoln, or a similar vehicle.

I wonder what it is like in the smaller cities - I live in the Kitchener Waterloo area right now. Might have to drive to a Toronto dealership for service, but still interested.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulOne View Post
    If spare parts is not an issue, then there is a big incentive to buy this car.
    What do you mean by spare parts? You can buy every single OEM part for any Hyundai or Genesis at your dealer's parts department. Some may have to be ordered, but so what?

If you are talking about after-market parts, then that is a different story, but I don't know why you would need anything but the OEM parts.

CanukV6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Beamsville Ontario

Thanks for the reply. I will have to carefully consider my choice of winter tires. If spare parts is not an issue, then there is a big incentive to buy this car.
    Reliability seems to be decent right now. I considered another full sized car (Buick Lacrosse or Chevy Impala), Ford/Lincoln, or a similar vehicle.
    I wonder what it is like in the smaller cities - I live in the Kitchener Waterloo area right now. Might have to drive to a Toronto dealership for service, but still interested.
    I am really not sure why you think you would have to drive to Toronto for Service. All Genesis models up to the G80 in 2017 were marketed as Hyundai's and can be serviced at any Hyundai Dealership, assuming they have at least one trained mechanic on the Genesis, which most do. Kitchener-Waterloo is a very large community and while you won't see a Genesis on every corner, there are plenty around. I was there today and saw at least 5. You cannot compare the Genesis Sedan with the other cars you mention above, except perhaps Lincoln. In terms of reliability, quality and features the Genesis offers much more for your money than any of those cars. I am on my third Genesis and I still love it. Check around at dealers and private sales (trade-in values are typically low) for the best prices and lowest kilometres, but make sure you get a service history. Servicing costs and parts are far less than its real competitors from BMW, Mercedes and Audi and probably Lincoln as well. Go for a 2012 or newer as the revised suspension is a marked improvement. Winter tires on separate rims are a definite must, and while this may seem a significant added cost the overall savings on tire wear evens out the expenditure.
    1st: 2009 3.8 V6, Cabernet/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 119,750km (74,850 miles).
    2nd: 2012 3.8 V6, Twilight Blue Pearl/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 105,000km (65,625 miles).
    Current: 2015 3.8 V6 HTRAC Casablanca White/Beige Two-Tone, with Luxury Package.

jimmy buoy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 H-Track Ultimate
    I live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

I had an 09 V6 Tech first, then a 12 5.0V8 R-Spec before my current AWD 5.0 Ultimate. Being in S/W Ontario, our winters are rather mild but there are the odd storms that last up to a week at a time and can drop a fair bit of snow. I've used Michelin X-ice 3's for the last few years and have not had any major issues. Sure, there can be the odd time when its been difficult to get moving from a stopped position when on a slight uphill grade on sheer ice, but that's to be expected with any RWD car. Once in motion there wasn't much that it wouldn't go through and I've never been stuck. Knowing how to drive helps. The stability control is awesome as well in keeping the car from getting bent out of shape. I found a set of "take off" V8 rims back in 2009 and used them for the winter tires ever since.

I think this car represents an awesome deal on the used car market. It is relatively unknown or recognized for the higher end car it is which means you won't have as many buyers beating down the door to get one. A friend of mine is a Lexus/BMW guy and after getting acquainted with my 3 Genesis models over the years actually went out and bought a used 2009 V6 tech to use at his winter home in Florida. He loves it.

I usually trade my cars every 3 yrs or so, but my current model is about a perfect as a car can be (for me). The H-Track AWD system transforms this car's performance but as I've said, the RWD models are fine. There's just such a difference off the line with hard acceleration, turning left or right from a stop sign in cold rainy weather, or starting up a grade on sheer ice with the 2015.

Hope this helps!

I'm wondering if an extended warranty is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    What do you mean by spare parts? You can buy every single OEM part for any Hyundai or Genesis at your dealer's parts department. Some may have to be ordered, but so what?

If you are talking about after-market parts, then that is a different story, but I don't know why you would need anything but the OEM parts.
    So long as OEM parts are available (ex: the car is not sitting in the shop for weeks), then I am ok.

Quote Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
    I am really not sure why you think you would have to drive to Toronto for Service. All Genesis models up to the G80 in 2017 were marketed as Hyundai's and can be serviced at any Hyundai Dealership, assuming they have at least one trained mechanic on the Genesis, which most do. Kitchener-Waterloo is a very large community and while you won't see a Genesis on every corner, there are plenty around. I was there today and saw at least 5. You cannot compare the Genesis Sedan with the other cars you mention above, except perhaps Lincoln. In terms of reliability, quality and features the Genesis offers much more for your money than any of those cars. I am on my third Genesis and I still love it. Check around at dealers and private sales (trade-in values are typically low) for the best prices and lowest kilometres, but make sure you get a service history. Servicing costs and parts are far less than its real competitors from BMW, Mercedes and Audi and probably Lincoln as well. Go for a 2012 or newer as the revised suspension is a marked improvement. Winter tires on separate rims are a definite must, and while this may seem a significant added cost the overall savings on tire wear evens out the expenditure.
    That's good to hear.

At this price point, there are a few used competitors in the same price bracket that I have considered:

• GM"s Epsilon Cars (Chevy Impala, Buick Lacrosse, and Cadillac XTS)
    • Toyota Avalon (often can be bought within the same price bracket)
    • Lincoln MKS (they depreciate very rapidly, especially now that Lincoln brought back the Continental)
    • Acura RLX (a bit more expensive, but surprisingly fast depreciation)

Good to know though that maintenance isn't too bad.

The German cars I know cost a fortune after the first 50,000 km or so. Cadillac's XTS can be expensive to maintain. The 2013 model had some reliability issue and one big drawback is early model CUE is likely terrible.

Toyota Avalon and Acura RLX I'd assume are more reasonable to maintain - the Genesis is probably in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy buoy View Post
    I had an 09 V6 Tech first, then a 12 5.0V8 R-Spec before my current AWD 5.0 Ultimate. Being in S/W Ontario, our winters are rather mild but there are the odd storms that last up to a week at a time and can drop a fair bit of snow. I've used Michelin X-ice 3's for the last few years and have not had any major issues. Sure, there can be the odd time when its been difficult to get moving from a stopped position when on a slight uphill grade on sheer ice, but that's to be expected with any RWD car. Once in motion there wasn't much that it wouldn't go through and I've never been stuck. Knowing how to drive helps. The stability control is awesome as well in keeping the car from getting bent out of shape. I found a set of "take off" V8 rims back in 2009 and used them for the winter tires ever since.

I think this car represents an awesome deal on the used car market. It is relatively unknown or recognized for the higher end car it is which means you won't have as many buyers beating down the door to get one. A friend of mine is a Lexus/BMW guy and after getting acquainted with my 3 Genesis models over the years actually went out and bought a used 2009 V6 tech to use at his winter home in Florida. He loves it.

I usually trade my cars every 3 yrs or so, but my current model is about a perfect as a car can be (for me). The H-Track AWD system transforms this car's performance but as I've said, the RWD models are fine. There's just such a difference off the line with hard acceleration, turning left or right from a stop sign in cold rainy weather, or starting up a grade on sheer ice with the 2015.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, it does help.

Winter for me is a concern, as I may have to drive to Ottawa or Northern Ontario, where winters are a bit more cold. The major highways, especially the 401 are kept in good shape in the winter, but it's the smaller rural roads that make me worried about a rear-wheel driving car.

This car does seem to be a good deal. Apart from the early 2012 V8 issues with oil consumption, I have heard of no "major" issues with this car and cost of ownership appears to be reasonable too.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

So long as OEM parts are available (ex: the car is not sitting in the shop for weeks), then I am ok.
    All parts are available. Some are stocked at the dealer, and some stocked by Hyundai Canada, and others may have to be ordered from Korea. Just depends on which parts you are talking about.

I took a look at the vehicle today. Did not end up buying, but still thinking about it.

I've also been looking at this car:
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/G...orup=27_100_96

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    All parts are available. Some are stocked at the dealer, and some stocked by Hyundai Canada, and others may have to be ordered from Korea. Just depends on which parts you are talking about.

I guess it does.

Actually, there is one area that I am interested in that I don't know much about - how is the 4.6L engine on the older cars? A v8 Genesis was listed in Ottawa for $15,600 CAD for 57,400 km. Wondering if that is a good deal.

One other matter - is there a way to move this thread to the 2009-14 model? It was my first post and I did not realize that I was on the incorrect subforum. Apologies for the error.

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA

Members don't see this ad
    I took a look at the vehicle today. Did not end up buying, but still thinking about it.

I've also been looking at this car:
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/G...orup=27_100_96

I guess it does.
    IMHO this one and the 2014 are the best years for these and $18K CDN is in the ballpark.
    For the record I have a Canadian 2013 with tech pkg. and it has been pretty much flawless.
    Last edited by dougmcp; 10-16-2017 at 01:47 PM.