Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Curious about android auto
    BRJACKET is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate

Default Curious about android auto

Members don't see this ad
    OK, I know that my 2015 5.0 ultimate cannot be upgraded to android auto (I'm still kind of annoyed about that since the salesman said that would work). I am wondering though, what does it really give you? The one thing I really would have liked if possible is to link the head unit into real time Google maps. Right now I subscribe to the Bluelink service, mostly for this. I have debated about seeing how expensive it would be to replace the whole head unit with a new one that has android auto (if even possible). But I am curious if you really gain that much.

EdP is offline Sustaining Member What I drive: G80 AWD Ultimate Adriatic Blue
    I live in CT

Default Re: Curious about android auto

You can read a bit more about it here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Auto
    https://www.androidcentral.com/android-auto
    It just allows you to use the features on the phone on the big screen. I have in on my car but have not bothered with it yet as the navigation is quite suitable and you don't need the BlueLink for it to work.
    As for the head unit, i saw a replacement (without AA) for $1250 so they can be pricey.

As for the head unit, even if compatible

Thanks. It isn't going to be worth it especially as it sounds like it also affects the car's warranty. It would be nice if Genesis would add some more apps for use.

POG is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Austin, TX

I don't think its worth replacing the head unit (actually doubt its possible), but I definitely think it is awesome -- so much so that I did not even consider buying the Ultimate trim.

I can use Google Maps as well as Waze for navigation (Waze is awesome for cop/speed trap alerts) with always up to date maps for free as well. I can use Spotify, Amazon Music, or Google Play Music to listen to anything I want (there might be other music services that work but those are the only ones I've tried.)

And the best part of it all is the voice interaction with Google and not some out of date and slow automaker configuration. Receiving and sending text via voice with Google is flawless.

Android Auto is constantly improving and getting updates. Very similar to the Google dashboard on android phones. The main screen on your car dash will show recent calls, upcoming appointments on your calendar etc. Really slick and intuitive and far better than any car manufacturer system I have ever seen on any car.

kolme is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 5.0 RWD Ultimate
    I live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by POG View Post
    I don't think its worth replacing the head unit (actually doubt its possible), but I definitely think it is awesome -- so much so that I did not even consider buying the Ultimate trim.

I can use Google Maps as well as Waze for navigation (Waze is awesome for cop/speed trap alerts) with always up to date maps for free as well. I can use Spotify, Amazon Music, or Google Play Music to listen to anything I want (there might be other music services that work but those are the only ones I've tried.)

And the best part of it all is the voice interaction with Google and not some out of date and slow automaker configuration. Receiving and sending text via voice with Google is flawless.

Android Auto is constantly improving and getting updates. Very similar to the Google dashboard on android phones. The main screen on your car dash will show recent calls, upcoming appointments on your calendar etc. Really slick and intuitive and far better than any car manufacturer system I have ever seen on any car.
    Well, im sure he feels better about not being able to swap out the HU after your post...

Ha, ha! Well I'm glad to heart that someone likes it. At least I will have it to look forward to on my next car!

sidewinder1 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Tampa, FL

i think its possible to swap out the system but i don't think the benefits would justify the cost. its one of those things if you have it its nice but not enough to rip out the existing system especially the ultimate system that is so integrated into the car. i would just save the headache and live with it. this is one of the reason i went with a tech rather than ultimate as android auto was a requirement for me.

I live in CT

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder1 View Post
    i went with a tech rather than ultimate as android auto was a requirement for me.
    If you are buying new, it is now available in the 2018 Ultimate also. That makes it a simple upgrade for $50,000 or so.

sidewinder1 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by EdP View Post
    If you are buying new, it is now available in the 2018 Ultimate also. That makes it a simple upgrade for $50,000 or so.
    nah...i'm quite happy with the 15 at near half that price...only thing i would have liked on the ultimate is the hud but somehow feel it might be a more of a novelty. i know some people that disable the hud due to it being more distracting.

Mcc is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
    I live in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder1 View Post
    nah...i'm quite happy with the 15 at near half that price...only thing i would have liked on the ultimate is the hud but somehow feel it might be a more of a novelty. i know some people that disable the hud due to it being more distracting.
    I canít imagine it ever being a distraction. I would never consider buying a car without it. But then I think you can find some people who will support any rationalization you want to make.

I live in CT

Members don't see this ad
    Same here. I find it to be very handy when using the navigation to see your next turn and it is the first place you see the notice for blind spot. Seeing the speed limit can be a ticket saver too. I think some of the older GM units were questionable though.