Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: [Q] Feels like trans or motor mounts loose - is this normal?
    MrBrady is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2014 Genesis R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Silicon Valley

Default [Q] Feels like trans or motor mounts loose - is this normal?

Members don't see this ad
    Long story short, the dealer said this is normal, but is it? I don't have another 2014 R-Spec Sedan to compare to. The car has 46,000 miles now and I've noticed this since about 30,000 miles and seems to slowly be getting more prominent.

I notice that while driving in heavy traffic (5-15 MPG), the car often feels like the way a new stick shift driver drives their car - jerky or loose. I let off the throttle and the car decelerates quickly and I barely touch the throttle to roll with traffic and it's like the transmission or engine kind of jerks forward a little. It's hard to explain in words.

Also it seems like the car slows rather quickly without using the brakes - to the point I get concerned that traffic behind me doesn't know I'm slowing down b/c I'm not breaking. The dealer says this is normal and is the car's way of saving energy by not having to use the brakes.

It's difficult to drive the car smoothly. Not sure if it's just me or just the way the car is made.

Throttle body has never been cleaned and I see that's on the maintenance schedule. Unsure if that has anything to do with it.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: [Q] Feels like trans or motor mounts loose - is this normal?

That does not sound normal, and if it was not like that when you bought it, there is obviously something wrong.

Since you are still under warranty I would open a case with HMA as soon as possible so you have it on record that you complained about it under warranty and the dealer refused to service it.

You can also try another dealer, since the HMA warranty is good at any Hyundai dealer in the USA.

I live in Silicon Valley

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this forum. How do I open a case with HMA?

It simply feels like there is a lot of slop. Sounds like rigid collars might fix it, but I want to make sure it's not a bigger issue.

BTW - purchased the car used about 2 years ago with 8K miles. I've always noticed it, but it seems to have gotten worse over the past year.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrady View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this forum. How do I open a case with HMA?

It simply feels like there is a lot of slop. Sounds like rigid collars might fix it, but I want to make sure it's not a bigger issue.

BTW - purchased the car used about 2 years ago with 8K miles. I've always noticed it, but it seems to have gotten worse over the past year.
    First thing I would do is try and find a 2012-2014 R-Spec and do a test drive to compare against your car. You may have to drive to a dealer in a different car (not your R-Spec) and claim you are possibly interested in buying an R-Spec to get a test drive. There are plenty of online sites that track down used cars in your area.

If the other cars obviously behave differently (and better) than yours, have a second dealer look at your car and see what they say, and mention that other R-Specs you drove don't have that problem. If you are not satisfied with their response, call HMA customer service, tell them your story, and tell them you want to open a case. All final decisions about warranty coverage are made by HMA, not the dealers.

I would not do anything with rigid collars until you are sure that Hyundai will not fix your problem under warranty. If you try rigid collars first, and they see them, they will likely claim it voids any warranty claims pertaining to that issue. Also, I don't think rigid collars will fix a problem where the car does not coast properly.

One more thing. Make sure you don't have the driving mode or transmission in sport mode or anything other than normal (not sure what modes are available on a 2014 R-Spec).

I live in Silicon Valley

Members don't see this ad
    Appreciate the suggestions! I'll look around and see if I can find another R-Spec.