Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Do We Have Engine Oil "Level" Warning Light?
    vasy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2018 G90 Ultimate
    I live in VA

Default Do We Have Engine Oil "Level" Warning Light?

Members don't see this ad
    When I was test driving the car at the dealer yesterday, I noticed that the oil was a little low (half way between low and full on dipstick). I asked the dealer to top if off before I took the car home. I wonder if our cars have a low oil level warning light in addition to the oil pressure warning light every car has. The 2016 Subaru Outback my son drives has such a oil level light - it warns you that the oil "level" in the oil pan is low when you start the engine. I quickly scanned thru the owner's manual's warning light section but did not see this oil "level" warning light being mentioned.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Do We Have Engine Oil "Level" Warning Light?

Usually it is not considered to be low until it falls below the low mark on the dipstick. I don't see a warning light in the quick start guide, other than the "engine oil level pressure warning light" you already mentioned, which should serve the purpose of warning if the oil is dangerously low.

Which engine do you have? I would never put anything in a turbo except a full synthetic.

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA

There are no oil level indicators in any of the Hyundai products. Generally they should not use much oil if any between changes. Your best low oil prevention is to check the oil level every 3 or 4 fill ups.

Roc is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2013 5.0 R Spec
    I live in Md

When you see the "low oil pressure " warning light come on while driving, or after a short start up, pull over quickly and turn off engine. Your engine oil pump is unable to deliver required oil under pressure to cylinders/valve lifters, etc.. Could be low oil supply in the engine, problem with oil pump, etc. Even driving for a limited time could do great internal damage to the engine. Unfortunately there is no" low oil level" light in the Genesis for those owners who have little knowledge of a working engine or fail to keep track of mileage between oil changes...

EdP is online now Supporting Member What I drive: G80 AWD Ultimate Adriatic Blue
    I live in CT

Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    Unfortunately there is no" low oil level" light in the Genesis for those owners who have little knowledge of a working engine or fail to keep track of mileage between oil changes...
    I know enough to check, but in the winter I tend to get a bit lax and forget to check when it is 4 degrees outside. With 7500 miles between changes, it is easy to get down a bit and not realize it. It is not new technology so I'm surprised it is not there.

vasy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2018 G90 Ultimate
    I live in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Usually it is not considered to be low until it falls below the low mark on the dipstick. I don't see a warning light in the quick start guide, other than the "engine oil level pressure warning light" you already mentioned, which should serve the purpose of warning if the oil is dangerously low.

Which engine do you have? I would never put anything in a turbo except a full synthetic.
    I have a V8. It's a little odd that the oil level was half way between low and full when I did the test drive (odo=49 miles). I've never seen this in any of the new cars I've purchased over the years. The dealer told me they topped it off but when I checked this morning it's still the same level. I'll remove the belly plastic shield in a few days to check for leaks. I do this for every new car I got during the first week after purchase. I trust myself more than I trust the dealer. By the way, 2018's owner's manual calls for oil change every 7,500 miles for regular service. It also states that 5W20 oil is preferred. 2017's manual says 10,000 miles and 5W30 as I recall.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by vasy View Post
    I have a V8. It's a little odd that the oil level was half way between low and full when I did the test drive (odo=49 miles). I've never seen this in any of the new cars I've purchased over the years. The dealer told me they topped it off but when I checked this morning it's still the same level. I'll remove the belly plastic shield in a few days to check for leaks. I do this for every new car I got during the first week after purchase. I trust myself more than I trust the dealer. By the way, 2018's owner's manual calls for oil change every 7,500 miles for regular service. It also states that 5W20 oil is preferred. 2017's manual says 10,000 miles and 5W30 as I recall.
    I know the V6 recommendation for oil viscosity was changed to 5W-30 starting with the 2015 model. Before that it was 5W-20 (although I switched to 5W-30 on my G1 Genesis a long time ago). If I owned a 5.0 V8 I would use 5W-30 (which is allowed, even if not recommended).

Oil viscosity is often chosen to get the best fuel mileage, not necessarily the best engine longevity.

On the 3.3TT (G80 Sport and G90) the recommended oil change interval is 6,000 miles or 6 months (instead of 7.500 miles or 12 months with the other engines). I don't know what viscosity they recommend for the TT, but I would not be surprised if it is 5W-30 with at least Synthetic Blend oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
    There are no oil level indicators in any of the Hyundai products. Generally they should not use much oil if any between changes. Your best low oil prevention is to check the oil level every 3 or 4 fill ups.
    "Should" is the operative word, but when the 5.0 GDI was introduced in 2012 model year, there were a lot of engines that had to replaced under warranty because of excessive oil consumption. There are many threads/posts in this forum about that problem (fixed in new engines built later in the 2012 model year).