Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Powertrain warranty for used Genesis cars?
    athakur999 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Seattle, Washington

Default Powertrain warranty for used Genesis cars?

Members don't see this ad
    I know the 10/100 powertrain warranty on Hyundai vehicle only applies to the original owner or if you purchase the vehicle as CPO. On the Hyundai website this "original owner only" restriction is explicitly mentioned (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...-warranty.aspx). On the Genesis warranty page, I don't see a similar restriction mentioned (https://www.genesis.com/us/en/warranty.html).

Does anyone know if vehicles branded as Genesis instead of Hyundai have the "original owner" restriction or not for the 10/100 coverage? There's a dealer near me that has what looks like a good deal on a barely used Genesis G80 Sport but I don't want to sacrifice the 10/100 powertrain warranty to get it.

EdP is online now Supporting Member What I drive: G80 AWD Ultimate Adriatic Blue
    I live in CT

Default Re: Powertrain warranty for used Genesis cars?

Mark_888 posted a link to where you can download the actual warranty
    https://owners.genesis.com/us/en/res...arranties.html

I think I know the answer but I've not read it in detail so best it to see for yourself.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

From the link above:

The 10-year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty is not transferable and applies only to the original owner, as defined under “Original Owner” included in the Powertrain Limited Warranty (Original Owner) section of this Owner's Handbook.

Original Owner is defined as the first retail purchaser of the vehicle who took delivery of the vehicle on its date of first use. If the vehicle was first placed in service as a lease vehicle, and the lessee purchases the vehicle at the end of the lease, the 10 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty remains in effect. If the vehicle was first placed in service as a Genesis Branded Manager Demonstrator Vehicle, or Genesis Branded Service Loan Car, the original (first) retail purchaser of the vehicle is considered the original owner, and the 10 year / 100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty remains in effect. This warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner. Subsequent owners have powertrain components covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile Genesis New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The 10 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty also excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial use (e.g. taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).

PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by athakur999 View Post
    I know the 10/100 powertrain warranty on Hyundai vehicle only applies to the original owner or if you purchase the vehicle as CPO. On the Hyundai website this "original owner only" restriction is explicitly mentioned (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...-warranty.aspx). On the Genesis warranty page, I don't see a similar restriction mentioned (https://www.genesis.com/us/en/warranty.html).

Does anyone know if vehicles branded as Genesis instead of Hyundai have the "original owner" restriction or not for the 10/100 coverage? There's a dealer near me that has what looks like a good deal on a barely used Genesis G80 Sport but I don't want to sacrifice the 10/100 powertrain warranty to get it.
    Regardless, if you like the car you can purchase an extended warranty, OR the dealer can add a CPO warranty. Sure, it will cost you more, however the bottom line may still be very pleasing versus buying a brand new Sport.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD

athakur999 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Seattle, Washington

Thanks everyone for the information! The dealer that has the vehicle is not a Hyundai/Genesis dealer, so if I did purchase a warranty through them to cover the extra 5/40 coverage it'd likely be through some 3rd party company and not the Hyundai-backed one.

I'm in no hurry to buy so I think I might just sit tight for now and wait for the Genesis CPO program to go live. Does anyone happen to know when that's expected?

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Thanks everyone for the information! The dealer that has the vehicle is not a Hyundai/Genesis dealer, so if I did purchase a warranty through them to cover the extra 5/40 coverage it'd likely be through some 3rd party company and not the Hyundai-backed one.

I'm in no hurry to buy so I think I might just sit tight for now and wait for the Genesis CPO program to go live. Does anyone happen to know when that's expected?
    You can buy the official Genesis extended warranty from any authorized Genesis dealer. Just ask to talk to the finance department at a dealer. Does not have to be the dealer where you purchased the car from, and no problem if you purchase the car from a non-Genesis dealer or from an individual. The only limitation is that the original 60K mile - 5 year warranty must not have run out yet. Also, if the car is a certain age or mileage, an inspection "may" be required, and the price of the warranty "may" be higher than if the warranty is purchased when the car is new or nearly new.

BlancaGenny is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
    I live in Rapid City

Members don't see this ad

Are you surely set on the G80 or will you consider the Hyundai Genesis (2015-2016)? I just bought a CPO '15 Genesis for $26k. I still have 2yr/24k miles on the bumper-to-bumper w/the 10/100k mile powertrain. If you can handle the Hyundai badge (which can be converted to the Wing Genesis badge), I'd shoot for that. The depreciation has already been taken care of and probably all the bugs, if any, from when it was new. If you are a lease person, obviously new would be for you.

Just my .02
    Current: '15 3.8 HTRAC with Sig/Tech - CBW
    Previous Gems: '08 C6 LS3, '07 300 SRT8, '94 Impala SS
    Fuelly App: http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/ge...15/ssl1/741060