Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Unlock door when you open trunk
    Mcc is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
    I live in Los Angeles

Default Unlock door when you open trunk

Members don't see this ad
    I doubt this question is specific to the G90 but I didnít know where else to post it.
    Can you make the doors unlock when the car is locked and you open the trunk?
    When I say open the trunk I mean either with the fob or with the smart trunk function or manually pressing the button on the trunk.

I donít hold much hope but a lot of folks here are pretty clever and hopefully found something I missed.

lt2211 is offline Sustaining Member What I drive: 2018 G80 AWD 3.8 Ultimate, Victoria Black/Ivory
    I live in Rockton, Illinois 61072

Default Re: Unlock door when you open trunk

Not on my 2018 G80. If the trunk is unlocked, either via smart trunk or manually and the car doors are locked, the doors remain locked. In the reverse situation, all doors unlocked and you open the trunk, you may press the lock button, the trunk will close and all doors will lock. I don't see why the lock button, on the trunk lid, couldn't be a toggle lock/unlock. If all the doors are locked and you press the lock/unlock button the doors unlock. If the doors are unlocked they re-lock. Pressing the trunk lid close button shouldn't effect the door lock settings.
    Last edited by lt2211; 04-14-2018 at 01:51 AM.

I live in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by lt2211 View Post
    Not on my 2018 G80. If the trunk is unlocked, either via smart trunk or manually and the car doors are locked, the doors remain locked. In the reverse situation, all doors unlocked and you open the trunk, you may press the lock button, the trunk will close and all doors will lock. I don't see why the lock button, on the trunk lid, couldn't be a toggle lock/unlock. If all the doors are locked and you press the lock/unlock button the doors unlock. If the doors are unlocked they re-lock. Pressing the trunk lid close button shouldn't effect the door lock settings.
    Thanks. I don’t think what I want is going to be possible. I can’t find any setting to change the trunk unlock behavior.

lt2211 is offline Sustaining Member What I drive: 2018 G80 AWD 3.8 Ultimate, Victoria Black/Ivory

Quote Originally Posted by Mcc View Post
    Thanks. I don’t think what I want is going to be possible. I can’t find any setting to change the trunk unlock behavior.
    Unfortunately not.

macbrett is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G90
    I live in California

I don't see why the lock button, on the trunk lid, couldn't be a toggle lock/unlock.
    If that was its function, you would loose the ability to lock doors and close the trunk with a single button push. The way it works now seems quite useful.

If it was simply a toggle, you could never be absolutely sure you were locking the doors when you meant to.

I live in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by macbrett View Post
    If that was its function, you would loose the ability to lock doors and close the trunk with a single button push. The way it works now seems quite useful.

If it was simply a toggle, you could never be absolutely sure you were locking the doors when you meant to.
    I guess I am not following what you are saying. All I want to do is UNLOCK the doors when I UNLOCK the trunk. No toggle, nothing to do with LOCKING as far as I understand. Please help me understand what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by macbrett View Post

Yep, you are probably right there. You would need one of each, unlock and lock button. Then choose the function you wish to happen along with the trunk closing. That having been said I never use the lock and close button. Just the trunk close button. Most of the time, during smart trunk operation, the doors are already locked anyway. Which brings us back to the original poster who would like to unlock the doors from the trunk which there is no provision to do, although using the fob to unlock the doors is fairly simple also.

I live in Los Angeles

Yes it’s sort of easy but it seems silly to go up to the trunk, get out my key fob and unlock the door. Especially when the trunk opens automatically. In my case I NEVER take the fob out of my pocket. Usually my case is that I am putting groceries away in the trunk and my wife wants to get in the car because it’s raining or hot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcc View Post
    Yes it’s sort of easy but it seems silly to go up to the trunk, get out my key fob and unlock the door. Especially when the trunk opens automatically. In my case I NEVER take the fob out of my pocket. Usually my case is that I am putting groceries away in the trunk and my wife wants to get in the car because it’s raining or hot out.
    I understand. When I bought the car the smart trunk was explained to me like this. You stand in front of the trunk and after a few seconds the trunk opens. I was told all doors unlock along with the trunk. Then upon closing the trunk, with the close button, the trunk closes and the doors remain unlocked. If you wish to lock the doors push the lock button inside the trunk. Sounds simple and easy however in reality the doors do not unlock when smart trunk is executed. If they did there would be no problem. It seems like it is designed to work as the salesman described it to me. For some reason it doesn't.

I live in Los Angeles

Members don't see this ad
    I understand. When I bought the car the smart trunk was explained to me like this. You stand in front of the trunk and after a few seconds the trunk opens. I was told all doors unlock along with the trunk. Then upon closing the trunk, with the close button, the trunk closes and the doors remain unlocked. If you wish to lock the doors push the lock button inside the trunk. Sounds simple and easy however in reality the doors do not unlock when smart trunk is executed. If they did there would be no problem. It seems like it is designed to work as the salesman described it to me. For some reason it doesn't.
    You understand me exactly. And I agree with your explanation.