Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: G80 (Sport) dash cam install
    four is offline Supporting Member What I drive: G80 Sport
    I live in Michigan

Default G80 (Sport) dash cam install

Members don't see this ad
    I just did a dash cam install on my 2018 G80 sport, and it worked out nicely. The camera isn't visible from the outside and I was able to hardwire it with the wire being visible only when crossing the A-pillar, where it lies on an existing seam.

The camera itself is the very inexpensive Blueskysea B1W, which at $50 is worlds better than what I bought for $100 even two years ago. Since it's a standard micro-USB cord I could switch out the cam in the future.

IMG_20180414_173933.jpgIMG_20180414_173924.jpgIMG_20180414_173911.jpgIMG_20180414_173904.jpgIMG_20180414_173842.jpgIMG_20180414_173219.jpgIMG_20180414_173111.jpg

larrymg1 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T RWD
    I live in South Carolina

Default Re: G80 (Sport) dash cam install

I, also, just installed a Street Guardian SG9663DC in my new Sport. I was able to mount the camera to lower left portion of the rear view mirror housing eliminating any need to mount to the glass. I ran the cables through the center opening of the housing and under the top edge of the window/headliner seam. Camera is barely visible, only the lens is showing below the Frits. You can hide the cable when crossing the A pillar. It takes some coaxing and patience, but it can be pressed into the seam. Just installed yesterday. Will upload some pictures shortly.
    Carolina Guy
    2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T RWD Casablanca White/Black w/Copper Stitching. Window tint, Genesis license plate frame, Rear bumper applique, Door handle pocket applique , Mud guards, Wheel locks.

four is offline Supporting Member What I drive: G80 Sport
    I live in Michigan

Thanks, I'd be very interested to see what your transverse of the A-pillar looks like. The seam I ran along at felt very tight, but if it's a real panel joint I could see being able to separate it enough to push though.

larrymg1 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T RWD
    I live in South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by four View Post
    Thanks, I'd be very interested to see what your transverse of the A-pillar looks like. The seam I ran along at felt very tight, but if it's a real panel joint I could see being able to separate it enough to push though.
    It is a real seam. Very tight, but, it can be pushed through. Pictures to come shortly.

Pictures enclosed. Sorry for the poor lighting conditions. I will try to take some more when I have better lighting options.
    IMG_20180416_102413110.jpgIMG_20180416_102355895.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by larrymg1; 04-16-2018 at 11:06 AM.

pa-g80-ownr is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2018 G80 Sport HTRAC
    I live in PA

With all of the cameras already installed in the G80, I would think that it would be pretty easy for Genesis to tie them together and use them as a dash cam in addition to a parking aid. They could take some space from the jukebox and reserve it for video storage. In the event of an incident, we could replace the SD card from the nav system with a empty formatted card and dump the video files to this card. Then just replace the nav card. I'm sure that it's not that easy, but the genesis engineers could figure out how to do it.

G80guy is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 2018 G80 Sport AWD Black
    I live in Northeast

Members don't see this ad
    My 2015 Z06 Corvette came with a built in dash cam up by the mirror, great for track racing, the glove box has a micro sb slot, and display is on the large Nav screen.
    My other toy: 2015 Corvette Z06