Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Haven't seen anything mentioned but what brands and what weight oil are you using?

STREETS is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Connecticut

I like Mobil 1 5W30 or Pennzoil Ultimate 5W30 in the summer, 0w30 in winter
    Owner Genesis 3.8 TECH White/Cashmere with Genesis Wing replacement inside-out, LEDs

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

I have used several different Mobil 1 oils, but going forward I plan to stay with Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 year round (not equivalent to a European Formula 0W-30 offered by other oil brands). If I lived in an extremely cold climate, I might use Mobil 1 0W-20 in the winter.

Sayantsi is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by upsbroke View Post
    Forgive me- I'm new to this site. Being also a VW fan-I also see the VW people using oil evacuators such as the Mityvac 7400. It allows you to suck out the oil through the dipstick hole through a tube that reaches to the bottom of the oil pan. This saves any problems with overtightening bolts and destroying oil pan threads. Again- I don't know if this applies to Hyundai but alot of the VW guys like it. My only downside is that when you pull the oil pan plug-you get everything.
    It's also real nice for syphoning gas, etc. I have a 56 Ford pickup and I use it for my "spare" gas can for my lawnmowers. Sure works great!

Imo a crush washer is the protection to keep you from overtightening bolts and damaging things. I still prefer gravity drains because the heavier stuff doesn't get sucked up efficiently. I've never in my life seen a ruined oil pan, so I'm not too worried about it.

Life's too short to drive boring cars.

gray devil is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Arizona

Default 2012, 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Nice oil change write-up.

Does anyone know if the 2012 V6 takes the same oil filter?

On the 2012, the oil filter is not on the top, rear of the engine its underneath, at the front of the motor, on the passenger side. It will require removal of a skid plate underneath to change the filter.

Funny thing is there is still a hole in the skid plate for access to the drain plug. This is the skid plate which needs to be removed to access the oil filter. Unless you are changing oil and not replacing the filter the hole seems unnecessary unless you want to be able to check for leaks.

STREETS is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Connecticut

Is this true? Find it hard to believe they would rework the Lambada engine so much. I assumed they just added Direct Injection.

wamba2000 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Arizona

On the 2012 3.8 V-6, the oil filter is moved....and I have not found where? The former setup looks just like the top-mount oil filter that was on my '06 Azera and is on my '08 Santa Fe. I took the engine cover off my '12 Genesis and with a very bright flashlight looked for any possible location that is accessed from the top of the engine. I've worked in filling stations as a youth where cartridge type filters were very common ( I still have nightmares about the burns you would get changing oil on a '57 Chevy V-8, no way to avoid it). I have not gotten under the Genesis to see if there is a new filter setup, but I definitely can not find one from the top.

Thinking about the Lambda engine, and turning it from front drive applications, like the Azera and Santa Fe, where the filter was on driver side near the front of the engine, moving the engine for rear drive it should be at the back.

Has any '12 V-6 owner found it? Maybe I will be glad I bought the services package with my lease?
    2012 Platinum 3.8 V-6 w. Premium Pkg

upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas

I haven't looked on mine yet because it only has 800 miles but to my understanding it is in behind the engine before the firewall almost centered between the fenders. It's a cartridge style and similar to what I have in my VW diesels.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

According to a member who posted a few posts back in this thread, the location of the V6 oil filter has moved for the 2012 model year, and is now on the bottom (similar to the way V8 has always been). My guess is that this was done to the aleviate problem with oil from filter draining back into crackcase on top location when engine is turned off.

decan9 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Guess it's too much to hope that it is a cartridge type, screw off/screwon....like my Elantra!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast