Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Yes the cartridge is the same style. There is a difference though versus the original forum pictures in 2010. Where the original cap has a plastic 6 inch "rod" sticking out that the filter surrounds- the '12 doesn't. The filter's the same though- I was given an early part number filter which has been changed.

Philth is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Just did my first oil change on my '12 model. I took some pics in case anybody has any questions.

A couple of notes:
    The filter housing is on the right side of the engine bay (looking forward from the rear of the car).
    27mm nut on filter housing
    Torque filter housing to ~25 ft lbs

Oil pan drain plug is 17mm
    Torque drain plug 25 - 32 ft lbs

The oil filter does not have the tube like in earlier posts. There is only one o-ring to replace, and that is on the filter housing. The other two smaller ones that come with the filter are not used.

jerryr5806 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

the oil filter on the2012 is under the car

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by jerryr5806 View Post
    the oil filter on the2012 is under the car
    Really? What makes you think that? Personally I think the photo of the 2012 in the post just before yours was Photoshop'ed and the 3.8 oil filter is really on top of the engine like the 2009-2011.

howiereed is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Hastings on Hudson, NY

I have always had dealers do oil change while car was under power train warranty. I did not think the manufacturer would care whether i had a receipt for oil/oil filter had i done it myself. Have any of you had experience with warranty engine repair work when the owner did their own oil changes?

Holdercj is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Omaha, NE

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Really? What makes you think that? Personally I think the photo of the 2012 in the post just before yours was Photoshop'ed and the 3.8 oil filter is really on top of the engine like the 2009-2011.
    BahahahaHAHA

And who says this forum doesn't have any humor!
    Chris
    2009 3.8 Genesis Sedan with tech package
    Omaha, NE

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by howiereed View Post
    I have always had dealers do oil change while car was under power train warranty. I did not think the manufacturer would care whether i had a receipt for oil/oil filter had i done it myself. Have any of you had experience with warranty engine repair work when the owner did their own oil changes?
    Sometimes they try and push back, not because the dealers have to pay the warranty expense (the manufacturer reimburses the dealer), but because they are pissed about you not lining their pockets by having them do the all your service. Dealers can't survive without the money they make servicing vehicles.

But all you have to do is to remind them that the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) has ruled long ago that so long as you have proof of the service, they cannot legally deny a warranty claim. The maintenance does not have to be performed by a dealer. You can ask them if they prefer that you contact the US District Attorney responsible for enforcing the federal warranty laws, or whether they prefer that you contact the local consumer affairs reporter at a local TV station.

But Hyundai dealers are more likely to try and bully someone over this, because traditionally their customers are less educated than other brands, and sometimes their intimidation works.

In addition, in order to deny a warranty claim, they would have to be able to show some association between the engine (or whatever) problem and that the oil change (or whatever service you performed yourself or had another perform for you) was to blame for the problem. In other words, even if you missed an oil change and had a transmission failure, they would have to at least claim (subject to arbitration) that the lack of oil change was related to the transmission failure.

Jbo is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan

Sadly I must inform you that franchised dealers do not make money after overhead allocation on oil changes and especially oil change specials. Oil changes and tires have become commodities that allow a tech to closely give your vehicle an over view and in the case of tires, wallows the tech into your wheel well where there is a great deal of NEGLECTED Maintenence of such as brakes and suspension. Further, using fast lube operations which typically employ ex burger flippers is the best thing you can do for your dealers bottom like. These operations will generate an engine failure per month due to failure to replace/properly replace drain plug, failure to properly install new filter, use of generic filters that may not stand up to needs of a specific engine and /or failure to refill or refill to correct level the correct level. A good DYI er has a much better chance. But a good rule is always use the manufacturers specified filters and grades of oil and keep receipts for future. It is a better value to do it right than than to have fight.

Jbo is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan

Additionally, your view of why they "push back" makes no sense. Most all dealers of any brand have self approval level, once the proposed repair hits a certain dollar level or may be a high warranty item for that store, they must obtain the manufacturers approval. The mfgr will ask for or access the vehicle service records...if they do not exist in any form, they may tell the dealer sorry and then the fight begins. Why would a dealer attempt to NOT have an engine replacement ,short or long block job that now starts at 8K for a simple 4cyl that the mfgr pays for??? The dealer is not "mad" that you didn't change the oil at his location. Perhaps another piece of good advice is to religiously follow the mfgrs recommendations for service and maintainece, knowing that the marketing guys have trimmed them down , for advertised low operating costs, versus the engineers desire to over maintain and avoid the breakdowns. The only wiggle room is the "severe operating conditions" and whether you vehicle falls into it.

upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 2012-3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Does the oil filter housing on the '12- 3.8 use a large o-ring seal that fits on the cap that seals for leaks against the housing?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast