Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    bump for the answer

Southern Boy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in West Central Coast Florida

A little off subject, but close enough.

This is an interesting article that speaks to the need to change oil at what frequency and also addresses from plain dino oil to fully ester synthetics and semi-synthetics and so called 'synthetics' made from base stock oils.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

I must admit that the 3000 mile change has been my MO since my first car. I still have a problem running oil as long as is suggested in this article. Old habits die hard.
    2011 Genesis Sedan 3.8 V6
    Titanium Gray Metallic
    Black leather
    Chrome pillars, Chrome door trim
    Wings hood & trunk, Wings wheel caps
    TSW Sentterton Chrome 18X8 40mm offset Wheels
    General G- Max AS03 225/50ZR18 Tires Nitrogen fill
    Southern Life Philosophy:
    Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money!

Philth is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 2012-3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by upsbroke View Post
    Does the oil filter housing on the '12- 3.8 use a large o-ring seal that fits on the cap that seals for leaks against the housing?
    Yes. Same filter part number as older years, but there is no smaller tube on the inside. Because of that, discard the smaller o-rings.

upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 2012-3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Philth View Post
    Yes. Same filter part number as older years, but there is no smaller tube on the inside. Because of that, discard the smaller o-rings.
    Thank you very much!

decan9 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Boy View Post
    A little off subject, but close enough.

This is an interesting article that speaks to the need to change oil at what frequency and also addresses from plain dino oil to fully ester synthetics and semi-synthetics and so called 'synthetics' made from base stock oils.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

I must admit that the 3000 mile change has been my MO since my first car. I still have a problem running oil as long as is suggested in this article. Old habits die hard.
    when I was a kid in the 30's you were supposed to change oil every 1000 miles. Then a company called Kendall advertised a 2000 mile oil!!!

Southern Boy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in West Central Coast Florida

Quote Originally Posted by decan9 View Post
    when I was a kid in the 30's you were supposed to change oil every 1000 miles. Then a company called Kendall advertised a 2000 mile oil!!!
    Well I go back to the early 50’s when I was at a point to remember all those add on oil filters for cars that had no filter at all?

I remember one add on filter that used a roll of toilet paper inserted in to a canister to filter the engine oil.

I remember engines that lasted 60K miles was thought to be about all you could expect, and engines that lasted 100 K was something exceptional and that burning leaded gasoline caused the mufflers and tail pipes to rot away in 30K miles. Man those were the “good old days”, yea right

spark763 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

What is the part number for the 2013 3.8 oil filter? I ordered filters on-line and the Hyundai box # 26320 3c30a, but stamped on the filter is, Mahle 26330 3c300. Very confusing, was going to order the Mobil 1 filter, but want to use the OEM filter so there is no problem with a warranty claim. I will see in a few weeks when I change the oil at 3000 if I have the right filter. After changing at 3000, I am going to change every 6000 with Mobil 1 5w30.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by spark763 View Post
    What is the part number for the 2013 3.8 oil filter? I ordered filters on-line and the Hyundai box # 26320 3c30a, but stamped on the filter is, Mahle 26330 3c300. Very confusing, was going to order the Mobil 1 filter, but want to use the OEM filter so there is no problem with a warranty claim. I will see in a few weeks when I change the oil at 3000 if I have the right filter. After changing at 3000, I am going to change every 6000 with Mobil 1 5w30.
    If it is a Mahle filter with white end caps, I think it is the correct filter. The part number on the box is a "kit" that incudes other parts (o-rings), plus the filter part, hence the different part number on the box.

Celt is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

I have changed the oil in a Mercedes E320 for years. Just moved over (up?) to the genesis. It has the same oil filter location and type. I have always found it soooo much easier to simply pour the new oil in the giant gaping hole before replacing the new filter. Zero spills.
    Nice write up.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post
    I have changed the oil in a Mercedes E320 for years. Just moved over (up?) to the genesis. It has the same oil filter location and type. I have always found it soooo much easier to simply pour the new oil in the giant gaping hole before replacing the new filter. Zero spills.
    Nice write up.
    I assume you have a 2009-2011 Genesis V6 with the oil filter on the top. The 2012+ V6 (plus all V8's) have the filter on the bottom of the engine, and I have always found it a bit clumsy to turn the car upside down in order to pour oil into the oil filter compartment.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast