Adaptive Cruise Control is out to get me

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Well, I have just read this and I have the exact situation. I have a 2012 Genesis. I was recently heading down the road here with ACC on. It works a short time and then I get the red light warning and it all goes dead. I took it in today for service and they claim the ACC module is bad and needs replacement. Exact as you described. To do this they say it is in the $4K range. Ridiculous!! Before I expend that money I would do a lot of research or just sell as is. I was a happy customer but this is wrong on many counts.
Yep, the module costs $4500. I found that out when my SCC went out. And, in case anyone doesn't know, I had purchased the Hyundai Certified Pre-owned Wrap Vehicle Service Contract, but the laser cruise control module is specifically excluded from coverage under that plan. Fortunately, the car was in the shop for other services as well, and was in the shop for over three weeks, which was ridiculous. So, I contacted the Dallas District Sales manager, and he was great and took care of the module. It's still working fine as of now. What I don't like is that there is not an option for the system to revert to a standard cruise control. The SCC either works, or it doesn't.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Having been an electronic wonk in the Army, I can tell you that a strong 'jamming' signal CAN do weird things electronics. I still don't quite "like" the ACC...the other night, in light traffic on I-71 in OH south of Columbus, I was cruising at about 70 mph, the speed limit there. I had the ACC on close range.... I'm in the middle lane of a three lane section of highway. I have a vehicle way up on front of me, and one coming up behind me. I have a (semi) truck coming up behind me in left lane (which he wasn't supposed to be in), goes zooming past me, then dives in front of me...of course, my ACC freaks out and starts slowing the car, and the car behind me is coming up fast now, so I had to tromp the pedal and shoot to the left lane to get around the truck that just passed me and cut in front of me to avoid the guy behind me plowing me....gawd....

mtrot

Registered Member
East Texas
Genesis Model Type
Having been an electronic wonk in the Army, I can tell you that a strong 'jamming' signal CAN do weird things electronics. I still don't quite "like" the ACC...the other night, in light traffic on I-71 in OH south of Columbus, I was cruising at about 70 mph, the speed limit there. I had the ACC on close range.... I'm in the middle lane of a three lane section of highway. I have a vehicle way up on front of me, and one coming up behind me. I have a (semi) truck coming up behind me in left lane (which he wasn't supposed to be in), goes zooming past me, then dives in front of me...of course, my ACC freaks out and starts slowing the car, and the car behind me is coming up fast now, so I had to tromp the pedal and shoot to the left lane to get around the truck that just passed me and cut in front of me to avoid the guy behind me plowing me....gawd....
Yup, and I shudder to think about some of the disastrous decisions that some of these "autonomous" vehicles will be making for us.

If there is a pickup truck or 18 wheeler ahead of me in the lane to my left and that vehicle is going slower than I am, My 2012 Genesis 4.6 "thinks" that vehicle is my lane and applies the brakes right as I am about to pass.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
I have less to fear from autonomous vehicles than from idiotic, selfish, unpredictable human drivers....See I was doing the speed limit, 70. Neither the truck that passed me and then dove in front of me, nor car flying up behind me were at the speed limit....

Yup, and I shudder to think about some of the disastrous decisions that some of these "autonomous" vehicles will be making for us.

If there is a pickup truck or 18 wheeler ahead of me in the lane to my left and that vehicle is going slower than I am, My 2012 Genesis 4.6 "thinks" that vehicle is my lane and applies the brakes right as I am about to pass.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Perhaps the sensor needs adjusting. Never had a straight line problem, but a curve can trick it.

Genesis Model Type
Interesting reading this. I have exactly the same problem. At first ACC operated but after a short time it quit and the red warning light came on. Now it is fully dead. The dealer here in KY says the module needs replacement and price is in the $4000+ range. My car is a 2012 Genesis 4.6 fully loaded. Until this happened it had been a great car. To me this is a major design issue. Poor component choice, poor power to the device ( over-voltage, pulses, etc.), thermal issues or other. Very disappointed in what had been a great car. This should be fixed as warranty or, at a minimum, at Hyundai cost plus perhaps a minimal marked up labor.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Interesting reading this. I have exactly the same problem. At first ACC operated but after a short time it quit and the red warning light came on. Now it is fully dead. The dealer here in KY says the module needs replacement and price is in the $4000+ range. My car is a 2012 Genesis 4.6 fully loaded. Until this happened it had been a great car. To me this is a major design issue. Poor component choice, poor power to the device ( over-voltage, pulses, etc.), thermal issues or other. Very disappointed in what had been a great car. This should be fixed as warranty or, at a minimum, at Hyundai cost plus perhaps a minimal marked up labor.
Does it still work as a regular cruise control?

That is a hefty cost if it is just to keep it "automatic" Would be interesting to know the failure rate and component analysis to come to a conclusion as to why. I can't get more than three years out of a motion detector on the garage light, but it is a cheap fix by comparison. It may be a major design issue or it may be your is the only one of three that ever failed.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
You chose not to pay extra to get the extended warranty and now you are disappointed that something broke after six years. How long should they warranty the parts? Not saying it’s not a design problem but it’s been six years. You could say anything that breaks is a design or component problem. Things don’t last forever.

Gunkk

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
I am actually somewhat glad that folks are willing to open their kimonos and cry a bit on the public forums, because it highlights the risks of owning our cars out of warranty to the rest of the community.

Get an extended warranty or don't.

Your choice, your consequence.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
I had the extended warranty (I'm past that range now) but my cruise control gave up the ghost a good while back. I very seldom use CC, if at all, but 2 things I don't like about smart cruise in this car:

1) Once 'smart' cruise goes, you don't have cruise control AT ALL.

which would be fine but:

2) It appears to cost at least 2-3k (perhaps more) to fix. Thus representing a significant portion of the car's total worth.

I wish the unit lasted longer, or you could retain cruise without the 'smart', or it was just cheaper to fix.

I've just been living without it...

Genesis Model Type
Does it still work as a regular cruise control?

That is a hefty cost if it is just to keep it "automatic" Would be interesting to know the failure rate and component analysis to come to a conclusion as to why. I can't get more than three years out of a motion detector on the garage light, but it is a cheap fix by comparison. It may be a major design issue or it may be your is the only one of three that ever failed.

Genesis Model Type
I would love to see a failure analysis. Being in the electronics world this type component should last much longer. Failures are generally poor components, poor design and utilization, and heat issues - from design, thermal stress, etc. I saw comments to get extended warranties. Usually this is from some selling warranties or dealers again profiting from them. Typically these are needed because of poor design or design to fail. By the way, a scary thing is that this type component is to be used in autonomous or self driving cars. Good luck to us all when driverless cars fail due to devices like this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.