adaptive cruise control

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
As I stated, most of you will probably use it wisely and as a benefit but it is still my fear that this type of technology will fail at some point and time for many that just get used to it and don't pay attention. It is a choice I hope whether you can use it or disable it. Not trying to argue your decision to use it. Autonomous driving has benefits but it isn't something that I want and it isn't ready yet either.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Man I know some of you really like new technology like this adaptive Cruise but I would rather it be an option that I didn't have to pay for. I don't trust it and although many of you will probably stay focused and aware of the situation, I fear that many will not and this kind of technology will lead to more accidents as people become more reliant on it to work for them so they don't have to pay attention while they are behind the wheel.
..To each their own, opinion that is.... I just hope you don't run into the back of me!

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) has been around since 1992, it is hardly new.

Most systems kill the cruise and wont' engage under 25mph, some of the newer systems now have multiple sensors and autonomous braking like the Genesis models and will go down to zero and autonomously stop and go in heavy traffic.

They maintain a proper following distance and speed, compared to people who tailgate and speed.

I use it daily, I have found that it makes my commute far more relaxing, it does require you to pay attention especially with LKA activated, else it barks at you, and it does have some issues as all technology does, so you can't just nod off.

1. it won't detect a vehicle that has been stopped before it came into sensor range, so if you are scooting along and there is no traffic in front of you and all of a sudden there is a wall of stopped traffic that the radar was not bouncing off of, it doesn't see it until the very end of it's range when the pre-collision system steps in, so you have to be aware and be sure to brake on your own. It is not advisable to use the system for city driving where this would occur for traffic sitting at a red light prior to your approach to that light/intersection.

2. Sometimes it doesn't see the jackhat that cuts you off because they are too close when the do it and the system needs a few seconds to respond to the new obstacle, especially if you have it set at 1 bar and are doing >50mph, 1 bar is just to close to the vehicle in front of you for the system to adjust to someone cutting you off, 3 bars seems to be adequate for this type of situation.

3. The system will time out after 5 minutes of being stopped in traffic, I have experienced this several times in L.A. Traffic, where we go from 40-50 to a dead stop and sit for several minutes. I noticed it the first time when CHP ran a traffic break, and we all stopped for nearly 10 minutes, since then I have had the system time out on me a few times when sitting for 5 minutes or longer, at this point cruise turns off, and requires manually resuming cruise once you are moving again, the brakes stay in auto hold (whether it is turned on or not) from when the cruise brought the car to a full stop and pressing the accelerator will release the brakes and get you moving again, but it will not automatically resume to the set speed.

It takes some experimenting and tweaking of the settings to get it to behave the way you like it, but I have found the system to be trustworthy, I do not like LKA, but I keep it in standard mode for commuting and actively turn it off when I decide to drive the car and not let the computer do it.

I am one of those that have cringed at the autonomous technology and did not want any part of it, but I have found for the monotonous daily commute it is a valuable tool, especially for those of us with disabilities.

When I want to drive and not deal with the technology I drive my hot rod, 2/60 AC, manual steering and brakes, and loud enough to scare dogs and little kids..

Great White

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I simply wish I could turn it off. I do use it, as I need cruise control due to my wonderful health condition. That Auto Brake Hold is a God send too.

Mine actually auto brakes coming to steep hills too. Like gentlemen said, still need to pay attention. I too am worried about all these gizmos (technical term) that seem to help but provide a false sense of security when you rely too much on them.

Philip2

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes, the brake lights come on. If you use Auto Hold and take your foot off the brakes the lights also stay on.

The sensor is shooting a beam in the straight line so if it sees an obstruction in range it applies the brakes. I don't see it often, but it does happen. A guardrail at times can set it off too.
why don't they synch the sonar direction to wheel turn?

Anyone feel like their ACC is a little jerky? I have a '15 HTRAC Ultimate and in standard free-flowing freeway traffic my car tends to downshift into 7th or 6th to catch up and then coasts when it hits the prescribed distance. Even in ECO mode, when the car in front of me speeds up I feel like the Genesis is a little "over aggressive" in trying to keep the prescribed distance. I would prefer a more gentle acceleration to catch up when in Eco mode. I find myself using the manual transmission mode to prevent the car from downshifting.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Becasue it would not work.
Anyone feel like their ACC is a little jerky? I have a '15 HTRAC Ultimate and in standard free-flowing freeway traffic my car tends to downshift into 7th or 6th to catch up and then coasts when it hits the prescribed distance. Even in ECO mode, when the car in front of me speeds up I feel like the Genesis is a little "over aggressive" in trying to keep the prescribed distance. I would prefer a more gentle acceleration to catch up when in Eco mode. I find myself using the manual transmission mode to prevent the car from downshifting.
Check your settings. I don't recall on the 15, but the 18 has three setting to choose from for acceleration. I thought it too slow so I bumped mine up.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Draw a line for the guard rail on a left turn. Now to the left draw a line indicating the line of travel as it is straight approaching the guard rail. How is the radar supposed to know the curve is coming up and that it should turn? Until you actually turn the wheel it has no sense aside from straight ahead some distance. You turn the wheel in the actual turn but the sensing was maybe 100 yards before that.

It is a problem that comes up once every couple of years of driving with a very expensive solution.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
From a stop, I accelerate with the pedal before letting the cruise take over.

What I don't like about the system is if you're on the hwy and the car in front is decelerating slowly and you're creeping closer, the car will use the brakes instead of just shutting the throttle and letting it slow down to maintain the distance. The car behind is probably thinking I like to ride the brakes because the brake lights keep coming on and off.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

What I don't like about the system is if you're on the hwy and the car in front is decelerating slowly and you're creeping closer, the car will use the brakes instead of just shutting the throttle and letting it slow down to maintain the distance. The car behind is probably thinking I like to ride the brakes because the brake lights keep coming on and off.
Yes, it is controlled by a computer, not a brain. When driving yourself you may see brake lights on the car two ahead of you. From experience, you know to let off the gas to adjust and depending on the situation, just coast, hit the brake, or accelerate again. The SCC only knows that the object in front is moving slower than it, so it adjusts accordingly.

Same with hills. You may start to gain speed. Depending on traffic and if you think there is the potential for a ticket, good chance you just let it go. Again, the computer knows you set the speed for say, 65, so it will do what is necessary to maintain it.

Sometimes I hit the cancel button and then resume as the situation changes. The nuances of driving you've developed from years of experience are not in the sensors.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

this is my biggest complaint about the system, and it is apparent in all brands, I rent cars pretty frequently for work travel and usually pay the difference (of what my company pays) for an upgrade. I have driven multiple models in the past few years with SCC/ACC technology and they all fail in this capacity IMO, none of the systems are programmed to coast, only brake, therefore it wears the brakes out a lot faster than normal, and it does IMO create a bit of a hazard because the car will overcompensate in braking and then take a minute to reaccelerate causing everyone behind you to brake, where cutting throttle and coasting, then reaccelerating moderately does the same thing without causing excess wear and irritated drivers.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, it is controlled by a computer, not a brain. When driving yourself you may see brake lights on the car two ahead of you. From experience, you know to let off the gas to adjust and depending on the situation, just coast, hit the brake, or accelerate again. The SCC only knows that the object in front is moving slower than it, so it adjusts accordingly.

Same with hills. You may start to gain speed. Depending on traffic and if you think there is the potential for a ticket, good chance you just let it go. Again, the computer knows you set the speed for say, 65, so it will do what is necessary to maintain it.

Sometimes I hit the cancel button and then resume as the situation changes. The nuances of driving you've developed from years of experience are not in the sensors.

it's just bad programming. The Cadillac super cruise, the Tesla Auto Pilot, and the system in the S-class and higher MBZ (no clue what they call it), even the newer FCA models, all have the ability to coast and not brake, I've used them all, their programming is far better, their systems can determine between a gradual slowing of the vehicle in front of you and a harder braking, I believe the Tesla and Caddy system have a camera that detects brake lights as well.

But again, they use much newer technology like 8-12 cameras, and a laser radar where the lower end cars like the genesis use Sonar tech circa 2005.

In my case it's the re-acceleration that's the problem, not the braking. Car acts like it's in sport mode as the car in front of me speeds up. Like let's say the car in front of me goes from 65mph to 75mph. As it pulls away, my car will downshift into 6th or 7th to close the gap. Seems unnecessary in ECO mode.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
it's just bad programming. The Cadillac super cruise, the Tesla Auto Pilot, and the system in the S-class and higher MBZ (no clue what they call it), even the newer FCA models, all have the ability to coast and not brake, I've used them all, their programming is far better, their systems can determine between a gradual slowing of the vehicle in front of you and a harder braking, I believe the Tesla and Caddy system have a camera that detects brake lights as well.

But again, they use much newer technology like 8-12 cameras, and a laser radar where the lower end cars like the genesis use Sonar tech circa 2005.
So we want champagne on a beer budget.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.