• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Air Suspension "fix"?

SCVDon

Registered Member
My 2016 has developed a nasty habit of dropping the front end down to the stops. Been back 3 times to the dealer. Twice with the car still in the extreme low-rider mode (towed both times) and once after it "fixed" itself. I've contacted Hyundai, opened a case #, in regards to the problem and that the dealer is clueless. Dealer has the car now (been a week so far this time) and can't get new front struts until sometime in Jan. 2019 due backordered. I doubt that the struts are the problem and am thinking it's more of an electronics issue since the car works for days/weeks on end and then does it's thing at random. Once down the car does give dashboard warnings and codes are stored in the computer. Also, the high/normal switch function doesn't always raise the car even when the car is maintaining normal road height and otherwise working.

g_490186

Has anyone had to replace the rear air suspension parts? My equus is sinking down on the rear drivers side. Have done some googling but not for sure which parts I should be looking for. Do they still call them struts on the rear? Where is a good place to get them besides the dealership. Everything for the equus seems hard to find.
Hi The bag is easy to fix you just unhook it and it deflates .
And the new one is easy install . The problem is it won’t inflate itself you have to bring it to a dealer and have put on the computer to get it active again

G-520484

Had a nasty problem with air suspension. Had front up on jack stands to r&r brake pads (subject of another post). When I lowered the car the front suspension bottomed and the rear raised to max height. The car was extremely "raked" and undriveable. Tried a hard ecu "reset" to no avail. Dealer had no personal history of seeing this problem.
Towed to dealer. No change in suspension while under tow. BUT, when tow truck driver was fixing to lower the car he turn ignition on to aux and moved steering wheel - like magic the suspension was restored to stock position. Dealer checked everything out on dealer's computer - no problems noted. Drove car home.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I saw "Hella" trademarks on some of the air suspension components. I think Hella is probably the supplier/copyright holder of air suspensions supplied to Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Range Rover, etc. Saw this reset procedure on a Range Rover site - aux ignition position turn steering wheel. No mention of this "fix" in Hyundai Equus shop CD.
Whatever, this is something anyone can try at home.
This really worked!

G-795188

Had a nasty problem with air suspension. Had front up on jack stands to r&r brake pads (subject of another post). When I lowered the car the front suspension bottomed and the rear raised to max height. The car was extremely "raked" and undriveable. Tried a hard ecu "reset" to no avail. Dealer had no personal history of seeing this problem.
Towed to dealer. No change in suspension while under tow. BUT, when tow truck driver was fixing to lower the car he turn ignition on to aux and moved steering wheel - like magic the suspension was restored to stock position. Dealer checked everything out on dealer's computer - no problems noted. Drove car home.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I saw "Hella" trademarks on some of the air suspension components. I think Hella is probably the supplier/copyright holder of air suspensions supplied to Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Range Rover, etc. Saw this reset procedure on a Range Rover site - aux ignition position turn steering wheel. No mention of this "fix" in Hyundai Equus shop CD.
Whatever, this is something anyone can try at home.
Had same problem. Your tip worked like a charm. But it did take several seconds before the front suspension started to fill back up so don't get fooled if there is a bit of a delay, less than 30 seconds you should hear it kick in.

chiefchief

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have a 2014 Equus and had an air shock issue. I tried the fix above to no avail, so I had to take it in to see my indy mechanic. Here were the options I was presented with:

1. $850 for a rebuilt air shock,
2. $2100 for a new air shock,
3. $2300 to have my car converted to a strut/spring system.

I'm going with option 3. I believe this is the conversion kit my mechanic is going to use:

We'll see how it goes. I'll post another reply after I get my car back to let everyone know how it went.

.cc

chiefchief

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I got my car back today. The ride is somehow better on this Strutmasters setup than it was on the factory air suspension. I wasn't expecting that. It glides as the air suspension did, but it doesn't get "mushy" in the corners if that makes sense. First impression: great decision, definitely an upgrade.

There is one lingering issue. The "Check ECS" CEL is still there. It's not the end of the world as it comes and goes. Also, Strutmasters said they would follow up with Hyundai to see if there is a solution. Fingers crossed, I can go back to my mechanic, or the dealership, to have that sensor disabled.

If you have a suggestion, please share it! I'll add another post as I learn more.

FloridaGuy

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
The ECS (Electronic Controlled Suspension, not Engine Control System) is telling you the ECU is not receiving the expected signals from the old air suspension system. If you get the trouble code from a OBD2 Scanner, it would be easier to determine the cause. As it comes and goes, it doesn't sound major. First guess would be the height sensors, as you no longer can control the height and the sensors may need to be moved to match your new suspension. If you still have the air suspension compressor, it could be looking for active pressure changes in the air holding tank.

Your car probably thinks it needs a Hyundai GDS ( Global Diagnostic System) check and calibration. You are on the right track about disabling the sensors, you don't want or need the system check anymore. I'm surprised Strutmasters did not include all the info needed to disable the ECS sensors.

Do let us know what resolves the issue for you.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums