• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Automatic folding side mirror issue

Husam

Registered Member
I have a 2013 Tech Package 3.8 Genesis. My driver side folding mirror folds in about 1/3 slower than the passenger side... sounds small but looks pretty terrible.

I took to dealership and the service advisor said he can't really do anything about it. If he put a new motor in, would do the same thing. This strikes me as BS unless the quality control is so bad they can't have the same motors operating on the same voltage/amperage/whatever, with the same gearing.

Has anybody had this issue, and/or heard similar in the past?
I have the same problem and I showed the symptom to the service adviser. We agreed that upon the next service interval, he will order for the entire assembly to be replaced including the mirror, motor and the body wrap with a paint job.

G-358978

I have a 2013 Tech Package 3.8 Genesis. My driver side folding mirror folds in about 1/3 slower than the passenger side... sounds small but looks pretty terrible.

I took to dealership and the service advisor said he can't really do anything about it. If he put a new motor in, would do the same thing. This strikes me as BS unless the quality control is so bad they can't have the same motors operating on the same voltage/amperage/whatever, with the same gearing.

Has anybody had this issue, and/or heard similar in the past?
My passenger side just makes noise but mirrors don't move

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
My passenger side mirror started clicking and stopped folding , entire mirror was replaced under warranty, cost would have been $1300 had I paid for it myself!

JgenG

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I just looked at my mirrors and one is just barley faster than the other. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read this and the only way to see it is to stand back so you can see both mirrors at the same time. I don't think the very slight speed difference is a defect nor do I think anything is wrong. But other's speed difference may be more than mine and may indicate a problem.
I noticed the same on my 2015 sedan, drivers side mirror folds or unfolds slightly slower than passenger side, is this normal? no unusual sounds.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yesterday I had to take mine apart to re tighten the screws where it pivots, it has flopped around since I got the car in March. I have no idea how they became loose. One of the Philips heads was mostly striped out, someone has been in there before, or it was messed up in the factory. Luckily I had enough meat left to remove and re-install it. It seems to be solid now. I haven't tried the folding feature, but clearly there is something about the manufacture of these that isn't right.

UberGen

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't (yet) own a Genesis, but this sounds like a very similar and common issue with Tahoes of the era that I own (2007-2014). The motors that drive the folding action are fairly stout, but the gears driven by the motors are essentially plastic and not robust enough to withstand the torque & wear over time, especially if a ham-fisted person too forcefully pushes the mirror folded/unfolded by hand.

Both the folding mirrors on my Tahoe have functional motors but broken gears, so the power-fold is non-operational---the only feature that doesn't function properly on the entire truck---but I haven't cared enough about the feature to do anything about it.

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
I only use this function when parking in tight spots.... rather be turning the switch on/off than wearing those cheap gears out prematurely.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Dayton, OH
Genesis Model Type
I only use this function when parking in tight spots.... rather be turning the switch on/off than wearing those cheap gears out prematurely.
+1. Rarely do I have to park on the street or when parking in a tight parking spot. One more thing that can go wrong. Keeping them out is not an issue for me.

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Last winter I forgot to turn off Auto mode and had a few days of sleet and ice hit and when I walked up to the car to get in the mirrors really struggled to break loose so I will soon be going non-auto mode this winter to avoid breaking things.

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Good point, Alfer. I can see the value of having the option for all you guys in the northern climates. Lucky me, I don't have to worry about those things down this way... ☀
Yes you are lucky Whitey!! They are calling for snow tomorrow here In S D. I had the mirrors try to open up while Car cover was on. They open halfway and stop nothing broken .

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
My passenger side mirror started clicking and stopped folding , entire mirror was replaced under warranty, cost would have been $1300 had I paid for it myself!
Before I bought mine I researched part prices (my wife has had two '15's before I bought mine so I knew all about them and the electronic parts that could fail....so I called and got prices for replacements). That's why I ponied up for a Platinum CPO wrap at $1600 so I have another 70K miles until 2026.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Before I bought mine I researched part prices (my wife has had two '15's before I bought mine so I knew all about them and the electronic parts that could fail....so I called and got prices for replacements). That's why I ponied up for a Platinum CPO wrap at $1600 so I have another 70K miles until 2026.
I would not have purchased a Genesis if I could not get it CPO with the Platinum warranty, it is the only way to go!!

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums