Car cutting off when driving....

chipandem

Hasn't posted much yet...
Is this a case of "topping off the tank" or forcing more fuel into the vehicle after the pump has clicked off. The auto stop of the pump means the gas has reached the tip of the dispenser nozzle. It's a safety feature to prevent accidental overflow, which is unwanted for several obvious reasons.

I'm not totally taking Hyundai's side because no vehicle should simply shut off while driving because of this, but I do think there's a degree of user error here when it comes to misusing a system and overriding the pump's safety feature.
I agree that topping off the gas is not a good practice. I don't do it, not sure if my wife has been or not. That being said, millions of people top off their gas every day, for whatever reason. Regardless of the extra minute amount of fuel being pumped in, there's no reason my car or any car should be stalling like that. Maybe it was the parts that were failing, who knows. But for the dealer to insinuate that topping off my gas tank every now and then would cause an extreme safety issue like this is just beyond ridiculous.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
I just wanted to add that the Genesis sedan is know to have issues with triggering the nozzle cut-off early, to the point where you have to hold the nozzle just right to prevent it from constantly clicking off. So when it cuts off, no, I don't assume the tank is full.

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
I always top off my tank to try to get an even dollar amount in.

I wonder if this problem with the canister being full is causing old fashioned flooding.This will kill the engine.
When I first read this post, I thought that if this was a 30 year old car, I would suspect a bad carburetor float. If this old fashioned float was set too high, quick turns or a quick stop could cause an engine to die. A restart was easy. You just depressed the gas pedal all the way to open the butterfly and restart.

I will have to remember this, if this ever happens to my 13 Genesis.

chipandem

By the way, I got a call last Friday from the Hyundai case agent who was handling my complaint. She was following up to see if I had picked up the car, was satisfied with the fix and explanation, etc. I told her I wasn't necessarily convinced everything was "fixed" per se, but I did tell her this was the most they've done up until this point. I seriously doubt any of this happens had I not called and filed a formal complaint. She asked if I was going to keep the car or not. I told her more than likely not, and that my wife was still scared to drive it. She then followed with the standard "we're disappointed you aren't going to be a part of the Hyundai family" shtick, but what came next surprised me. As a gesture of good will from Hyundai, I was offered 2 months worth of car payments in the form of a check. I asked if this was contingent on keeping the car and she said no. Just send my registration over and some formal loan documents noting my car payment and they will cut me a check. I suppose that's better than nothing, and I certainly wasn't asking for anything. Got to protect that image! I also requested that she let her superiors know that the local dealer provided an excellent service experience (noting the ASM's full name), despite the fact that I was having to be without my car and dealing with a serious safety issue.

mphamd

Hey guys,

I had a similar problem earlier today while taking the car out to get dinner. As I was approaching the freeway exit my car suddenly stalled and the steering wheel seemed to stiffen and the navi screen went out then back on. I pulled over emergency lane and waited to see what would happen and music continued up again from the USB port but I couldn't change the song. On the navi screen where USB setting is saying " initialization failed". So I pulled the USB stick to reset it and got it to work. I was able to go to dinner then drive back home without incident. But later on that night I tried to start my car but as soon as I hit the start button everything died. No power to anything no alarm no use of keyless entry no power at all. Then I come back to the car a few hours later that night and open the trunk manually with the key to get something and as soon as I slam the trunk down all the power came back hids, brake lights, lexicon system music playing. Except when I try to turn on the engine with the start button it won't start. Then everything shuts off like before

I'm at a loss. But eeriely I been having problems like the previous poster with topping of gas issues because the car doesn't know when to stop pumping gas sometimes when full and a few times the car spewed out some fuel. I'm not sure if that is related to my recent stall incident but I've plans to driving from San Jose back home to Los Angeles tomorrow on Labor Day and I'm scared to. What if the car stalls on mountain freeway over pass and it stalls and lose steering and brakes. I don't know if the dealer is even open Labor Day. What should I do? Help!

mphamd

It happened again this morning as I was commuting to work. Luckily I was slowing down at the turn signal. Tow to dealer. Then it powered up again. I told them I'm not driving until they fix it. They called me later in the day and said that loose positive connection was causing high resistance and causing electronics to overheat. I drove the car home. No problem yet but I just have to drive cautiously and hope dealer fixed it. I want to do lemon law but the problem needs to reoccur to have a case. But then I'm playing Russian roulette with my life to prove it. I don't know what to do? I'm in catch 22 if I sell it to become someone problem might come back to me. But I can't do buyback unless it repeats. Then with my life at risk. I've already filled 2 nhtsa complaints and 2 hma complaints.

ca5400

Have had same issues of car cutting off and stalling since we bought it brand new- every time dealership says clean fuel injectors and to clean carbon- drive on highway at high speeds to blow out carbon - isn't that a safe solution! I think this should be a recall by Hyundai- clearly a problem in older Genesis. We are done owning Hyundai after this car.

NathanielCress

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Has anyone found the solution to this problem?

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
My 2009 4.6 was doing something similar late last year: stalling when slowing for a traffic light or stop sign. It would always restart quickly. When this happened on my car the instrument panel remained lit and the various warning lights (battery, etc.) would light up just as one would expect from an "ON" key position but engine not actually started. The NAV/stereo system (Tech package on my car) did not hiccup or reset so it wasn't acting like loose battery cables. The stalls happened only after the car had been parked for several hours... then about 5 minutes into a drive it would sometimes stumble a little (like somebody forgetting to push the clutch pedal when slowing down on a stick-shift car) and sometimes it'd stall completely. Once past 10 minutes or so there was no sign of any issues. A local dealer tried all sorts of things, eventually whacking the bellhousing with a rubber mallet near the crankshaft position sensor - that made the car stumble/stall for them so they replaced that sensor (which somehow isn't part of the "10 year/100,000 mile power train warrantee" - many engine critical sensors have shorter warrantees I learned) and they thought it was fixed. They kept the car for several days, test driving it a few times, without further issues. I picked it up and got about a mile from the dealership when it stalled coming to a red light. Back it went. Basically they did a fuel system cleanout, injector and throttle body servicing/cleanout, unplugged & replugged every electrical connector on the engine, computer and the battery posts. My car stayed at the dealership for nearly two months through this (no loaner either). They never found "the smoking gun" causing the problems but it was no longer stalling for them. So far it's been fine for me as well though I'm still wary of it... and now I notice every little odd shift or bump coming to a stop to this day thinking "oh crap, it's back." It still lurches a little coming to a stop once in a while - usually when I'm slowly approaching the stop and not using the brakes too much. Transmission or ABS system confused?

My Genesis has about 82,000 miles on it and I'm the original owner. It's always received full synthetic oil and Hyundai oil filters; I've followed the owners manual service intervals. Those services have been done at dealers too so they have full records of the service being done to maintain the power train warrantee. Plus this gives them time to do the several recalls/TSB campaigns that my car has needed. For the 2009's with the ZF transmission the owners manual doesn't call for a transmission fluid change - it's supposedly "life of the vehicle" though I believe that about as much as I believe some pigs can fly. I was planning on having the trans fluid replaced in a few months (when the car turns 10 years old to me and goes in for a routine oil change) and we'll see if that makes any difference.

mike c.

NathanielCress

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thank you so much. Ours is 2011 with 128k miles on it. This is our only car and we absolutely LOVE it.... it’s so sad that no one can truly figure this out. Sounds like you probably spent a ton of money, and are not confident with the result. Our dealership tried to say they wanted to try a new power steering motor and a new alternator. They were just guessing though from our description of the problem. We hate to get rid of this awesome car, but we can’t have it dying on us either

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
Fortunately the dealer did the 2 months of trying things on Hyundai's nickel - warrantee. Though I do need to make a claim for the crankshaft position sensor to get that refunded as it didn't fix anything.

mike c.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.